Easiest way to move a forklift 40 miles? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had it moved by 3D Towing out of Dundee Mi. Also moves storage containers. He's an owner operator.

Total cost was $206 and I was very happy with the service. After moving countless heavy objects myself, I'll be using him for anything I can in the future.

When it's finally time to move my mill I may very well see if he wants to do it just so I don't have to deal with getting it on the trailer on the other end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a Hyster last summer that weighs 9,000 lbs and figured out after alot of calling around that it was just going to be much cheaper all around to have it hauled. It had to come 140 miles, so I paid my local guy $500 to go get it and bring it home. More than I had hoped but still a better deal than any other option. I hauled my little lift myself as it is only 4,800 lbs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys make it sound like a normal thing moving around forklifts which is amazing! Most of the companies that do that in my area ask for too much and it takes a toll on my final profit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well don't get into a wreck, Here is the way it works in Montana, (every state has its own rules)
    1. the fork is 8500lbs
    2. the trailer will weigh 3000 lbs
    3 In Montana we have tung transfer ( we can put 20% or so of the load over to the tow rig if the gvwr will pack it) Lots of states not let you do this
    So you have 8500 + 3000 behind a truck that weighs 4500 Not a good deal for stopping or steering...

so 11500 lbs on a 7000 gvw trailer not good and it is over 10k so you need a cdl, now you need to transfer 4500 lbs to the tow rig if your state lets you use the transfer, but the load is now over the gvwr of the f150, anyway you cut it you are out and if you get into a wreck the first guy there is DOT...You need a bigger trailer, truck and a cdl...Dont do it hire it done...Phil

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rardstore View Post
    You guys make it sound like a normal thing moving around forklifts which is amazing! Most of the companies that do that in my area ask for too much, and it takes a toll on my final profit.
    Well, I know that feeling! They charge a lot for that simple of a task really! I also had quiteprojectss that I needed one and had to move them around. Honestly is not the nest feeling to have to go through such prices, specially when you won't own the thingafterwards,soo it's even worse! That's one of the reasons I have decided to go on and buy my own from https://fleetupmarketplace.com/Find?...Scissor%20Lift
    as not only I'm able to get the bestprices, butt I also get to sell it in case I don't need it in the future still with them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    Well don't get into a wreck, Here is the way it works in Montana, (every state has its own rules)
    1. the fork is 8500lbs
    2. the trailer will weigh 3000 lbs
    3 In Montana we have tung transfer ( we can put 20% or so of the load over to the tow rig if the gvwr will pack it) Lots of states not let you do this
    So you have 8500 + 3000 behind a truck that weighs 4500 Not a good deal for stopping or steering...

so 11500 lbs on a 7000 gvw trailer not good and it is over 10k so you need a cdl, now you need to transfer 4500 lbs to the tow rig if your state lets you use the transfer, but the load is now over the gvwr of the f150, anyway you cut it you are out and if you get into a wreck the first guy there is DOT...You need a bigger trailer, truck and a cdl...Don't do it hire it done...Phil
    Similar here. Not going to be able to legally tow near that much with a light pickup. There is a big difference between whats possible and what the judge is going to accept if something really bad happens....even if not your fault. We've all done stuff not that isn't 100% proper, but that's really overloading things. The passing years have brought a maturity that highly values staying out of the crow bar hotel

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

many years ago ,I bought an old house for removal ...figured Id do it myself and save a lotta bucks.......off site in a inner city suburb at first light ,not a car on the road ,but then I get to a very wide section of road going up a long hill to the hiway out of town.....and sure enought the scalies are waiting there ....by some miracle ,they didnt see me,or assumed I had a permit.....maybe they were asleep ,it was 4.30 am. ....Another time I drove 1000 miles with an unregistered trailer to pick up a D7E .....never saw a copper or scalie the whole week.

8. Likes russler liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We paid for a big rental forklift, delivered, and used it to pick up our press brake. We secured the press brake and lift to the trailer they brought the lift on, then paid them to deliver it again to our new shop 15 miles away. Whole thing was $300 including forklift rental.

10. Likes Archer120x liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glodox View Post
    Well, I know that feeling! They charge a lot for that simple of a task really! I also had quiteprojectss that I needed one and had to move them around. Honestly is not the nest feeling to have to go through such prices, specially when you won't own the thingafterwards,soo it's even worse! That's one of the reasons I have decided to go on and buy my own from https://fleetupmarketplace.com/Find?...Scissor%20Lift
    as not only I'm able to get the bestprices, butt I also get to sell it in case I don't need it in the future still with them!
    Sneakin' in a little bit of scammin' eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    Sneakin' in a little bit of scammin' eh?
    I reported the two of them, but I'm not sure it does any good.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya but.....he s scamming in the UK .....dunno if they will hold with the one hour travelling time comin across the sea.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    many years ago ,I bought an old house for removal ...figured Id do it myself and save a lotta bucks.......off site in a inner city suburb at first light ,not a car on the road ,but then I get to a very wide section of road going up a long hill to the hiway out of town.....and sure enought the scalies are waiting there ....by some miracle ,they didnt see me,or assumed I had a permit.....maybe they were asleep ,it was 4.30 am. ....Another time I drove 1000 miles with an unregistered trailer to pick up a D7E .....never saw a copper or scalie the whole week.
    Rutt Roh….
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails towingairplane.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tractor guys move big tractors often and so may be the lower cost movers.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the day,used to move the headers on the road without taking down the fronts ....cops would ocassionally catch you ,usually give you a warning ,and then shake down your old man for a favour (or cash).