What's new
What's new

Electric forklift battery question

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
I have a 36 volt electric lift and if it sits a week or so the voltage drops to around 34V, after a good charge the voltage reads 37V or so but with a volt meter attached that reads to 1/100ths of a volt, the voltage continues to drop .01V every few seconds until it is back to 34V area. Is this a sign of the battery is near death or is there a possible way to get a bit more life out of it?

Does the voltage drop of .01V every few seconds happen when the battery is connected, or does it also happen when the cables are disconnected? Suggest cleaning the battery case - if there is conductive dust present you can get leakage across the surface of the case.

If this drop occurs with no cables connected to the battery and the case is clean, then you have an internal load - likely the plates in one cell are shorted out. They get shorted by a powder material that falls off the plates to the bottom of the battery case. At this point the battery is at end of life and can either be replaced or refurbished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check water, but I think your battery is shot. A good battery will not be at 34/36 volts with a full charge it will be up to 40 volts with a full charge and no sulfated plates...Phil

Back