What's new
What's new

Electric forklift battery "refurbishment" question... re load testing/discharge, etc.

When a lead acid battery is bad, it is bad and rarely does it pay in both time and money to rejuvenate. I am also relatively certain this machine is not inexpensive. I am guessing of course, but I cannot imagine you even breaking even on this investment.
Not thinking so much in terms of a "bad" battery but rather ones that deteriorate to perhaps 3 hour run time, when as new the truck would go 8 hours. After "regeneration" (sulfur released from lead plates mostly) the battery will never be as good as new but might give perhaps 5 to 6 hours run time for a few more years. Thats been my experience with a constant current changer anyway.

One can buy a lot of standard 6 volt deep cycle batteries before buying either a dedicated forklift battery or this [apparently $12k] toy
True (price is right as well) but with the possible exception of electric pallet jacks*, seeing as one needs a dedicated industrial battery for counterweight, why is that interesting ?

============
* interesting tidbits about using 6 volt deep cycle (golf cart) batteries to run electric pallet jacks...

Since the jack's rated capacity includes lifting a heavy dedicated battery, the capacity increases when using 6 volt batteries. The downside is

a. In my experience, without the weight of dedicated battery the forks won't go quite as low as they should thus getting under 3 1/4" is problematic
b. Without the weight of the dedicated battery the traction wheels tend to slip way easier when trying to enter a standard pallet... i.e. the weight is needed for traction as well as fork lowering.

I don't think that unit does anything that you couldn't do manually. It most likely is just charging the battery and then partially discharging before charging yet again. Repeat cycles of that will have some effect on excessive sulfation (sulfate buildup is normal under discharge) as long as it has not got to the stage where plates are damaged.

My question is will the unit save enough battery life to pay off its cost in a reasonable time.

My question is will the unit save enough battery life to pay off its cost in a reasonable time.
True... hence the purpose of this topic....to see what else is out there of similar ilk for less money.

If only runs for 3 hrs the plates are sulfated, try a heavy equalize charge, run flat and do it 3 more times , don't heat up battery, if still only runs lift 3 hrs ...Its shot...Phil

I wonder if Tesla and ilk have plans to sell forklift batteries. I understand the tesla battery is just a few thousand double A cells designed for laptop computers.
Bil lD

I wonder if Tesla and ilk have plans to sell forklift batteries. I understand the tesla battery is just a few thousand double A cells designed for laptop computers.
Bil lD

I believe they are 18650 batteries, not AA, similar just a little bigger & higher voltage. Trouble is they are light weight so a real counterweight would be needed to replace the lead one.

I believe they are 18650 batteries, not AA, similar just a little bigger & higher voltage. Trouble is they are light weight so a real counterweight would be needed to replace the lead one.

Rob, there is a very good reason why traction batteries are lead acid. Lead acid batteries are safe. They don't internally short out because of dendrite formation and burn. Just ask Boeing or Panasonic. Second, battery capacity and performance doesn't go to hell in a hand basket in temperatures below 10 C like Lithium Phosphate chemistry does.

Rob, there is a very good reason why traction batteries are lead acid. Lead acid batteries are safe. They don't internally short out because of dendrite formation and burn. Just ask Boeing or Panasonic. Second, battery capacity and performance doesn't go to hell in a hand basket in temperatures below 10 C like Lithium Phosphate chemistry does.

I agree completely, you dont see forklifts self combusting in parking lots like the occasional tesla.

Out here a lot of incentive for people to install tesla power wall back up batteries. I wonder what will happen to them in 10-15-20 yrs down the road as the cells wear out.

Back