What's new
What's new

Equipment mover trailer

emcmike

Hot Rolled
Snapshot_20140824_2.JPGSnapshot_20140824.JPGSnapshot_20140613_5.JPGSnapshot_20140824_4.JPGThere's been a lot of discussion on trailers and I need one. So I broke down what my needs were a designed a trailer to hold 5000lbs. One of the main concerns was to be able to load with little effort. It's still in construction and the stabilizers need to be fabricated to the lifts base. The unit is 12ft long, steel deck , 3500lb axles, will have a powered rear ramp and rear stabilizers. Any feed back would be appreciated. The first move will be a LeBlond Regal 54in. Lathe, on a dolly I designed to hold 4000lbs. All the lifts and winches are 12 volt, winch 2500lb, one mounted front and one in Back under deck, 2 lifts 3500lb each. Here's some pic's enjoy.

Last edited:
Be sure the ramp will hold weight concentrated on one set of angles.. If any doubt could put a stiffener about half way up.
Rear of trailer should be set on some kind of solid like jacks attached or jack stands so weight when loading is on the ground and not lifting the hitch. "rear stabilizers" you may have that covered. Never liked dollys except for roller trucks, wide and only perhaps 3" high. If I used those I would pry them up and put the weight on long way timbers once set to location.

Too many lathes get dropped so think about everything twice, go very, very slow loading, driving and off loading. Have a partner navigator to help watch the dummies, signals and map.

Very nice.:cheers:

The lower it can get the better. Also, don't be afraid to go overkill on supports. Beefing it up now will be much easier than finding out the hard way that something was too heavy.

looks well thought out. You might put one of those small pivoting cranes over the axle on one side. Would make it easy to lift say 500 pound stuff up and into the trailer with out all the hassle of jacks up and down all round. Or maybe some kind of shears that would allow easy lift up onto the ramp. then fold down flat out of the way.
Bill D.

Thanks for all the input ! Keep it coming. When I first got the trailer I had to move to glass machines that weight in at about 4600lbs , it did real we'll but had to block it high to get over the fenders with the forklift. The 2 outer rear ramps get tread plate on them and a bottom cross beam the lift gets connected to. I'll be posting more pic's as I make progress.

Back