What's new
What's new

Ever used sequence valve on forklift to achieve two functions on one lever ? (video)

Cheaper and easier way to go i spose than ading anouther valve spool + all the lines it would entail. That said, it looks like you can't stick both forks over to one side, no issue for shifting pallets, but for fab work and such we often have both forks well over to one side before we even play with side shift for some things.

Cheaper and easier way to go i spose than ading anouther valve spool + all the lines it would entail. That said, it looks like you can't stick both forks over to one side, no issue for shifting pallets, but for fab work and such we often have both forks well over to one side before we even play with side shift for some things.
With conventional 4th lever fork positioning you can't move both forks to one side either... Hard for me to imagine any scenario where one would want to....I could see situations where it might be a bit desirable to do that, but with easy workaround.

In larger (20,000+ lbs) forklifts one can get fork positioning that will move each fork independantly...suspect it is a very expensive option.

It sure messes up the visibility thru the carriage.
If you have to hang out the side to see the forks, that adds some hazard and difficulty seeing the whole area.
I am not really fond of fork positioners on small forklifts.

It sure messes up the visibility thru the carriage.
If you have to hang out the side to see the forks, that adds some hazard and difficulty seeing the whole area.
I am not really fond of fork positioners on small forklifts.
i have a 2004 Komatsu 3000 lb forklift with conventional 4th lever fork positioning and love having that feature. Haven't noticed any visibility issues.

So, what's the 4th lever for on that forklift?

It may not be applicable, but one nice feature of fork positioning is that you can squeeze things like 55 gallon drums and other odd bulky things that you can't pick up any other way. You would not be able to do that with that setup.

Has ANYBODY ever worked on a forklift that is that clean???
I have.. a lease return Linde 6K LP Pneumatic. I added the side shift/fork positioning carriage to it myself. The pisser was I still had to pay to have a Linde tech come all the way from Charleston to basically alter the software parameters to recognize it...pesky fly by wire stuff...

So, what's the 4th lever for on that forklift?

It may not be applicable, but one nice feature of fork positioning is that you can squeeze things like 55 gallon drums and other odd bulky things that you can't pick up any other way. You would not be able to do that with that setup.
the 4th lever on the demo forklift is ironic as it is not needed....but sometimes they are there to switch out the carriage completely and use 4 valves for operating a rotating/squeezing paper drum attachment.

But really if that 4th valve was there, so would the hoses and all else be there to operate a normal side shift fork positioning attachment...so it still makes no sense for that video.

Re squeezing things, I don't see why you couldn't still do that with that sequence valve type arrangement.

Re squeezing things, I don't see why you couldn't still do that with that sequence valve type arrangement.
Upon further reflection I do see a problem with squeezing things in that you'd have to get the squeeze amount just right the first time. In other words, if you had 4th lever and you felt the squeeze was a bit too much you could easily back off a bit, whereas with the sequence thing if you squeezed too much all you could do is lift the object, side shift all the way other direction, set it back down, return to side shift lever and only then would the forks release a bit. So, yeah, it could be too much PITA for squeezing things compared to 4th lever.

Back