What's new
What's new

Face milling putter head, plunge mill decorative hole

Sdot123

Plastic
Hey all! First of all I’m a novice to milling/machining. I run a putter restoration business and have been outsourcing face milling for a while now. I’m at the point where getting a mini mill with a power feed will pay for itself with the amount of putters I am restoring.. so what would be a good setup? The close up of the putter is the milling I’m trying to achieve, the purpose is to take out the dings and dents but still keep the logo on the heel..

The main question I have is what is the best way to secure the putter head so that the face is dead flat? The putter face is milled with a 4* angle.. so I’d either have to skew the putter head, or shim the vise. Pictures provided.

Lastly, I’ve had request for a decorative hole on parts of the putter but am unsure what end mill I could use to achieve it. Again see pictures.

Appreciate any and all feedback!

Attachments

• A740D942-89EA-4CB1-A05F-6E516F9C4ED4.jpg
    A740D942-89EA-4CB1-A05F-6E516F9C4ED4.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 104
  • 537843BA-1658-4193-94F4-08DC1AA58E26.jpg
    537843BA-1658-4193-94F4-08DC1AA58E26.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 100
  • BB1F1280-62A9-4686-B8FA-B0EB41402287.jpg
    BB1F1280-62A9-4686-B8FA-B0EB41402287.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 113
  • EE2847CC-7A8E-4C3F-BD79-FEF06569409A.jpg
    EE2847CC-7A8E-4C3F-BD79-FEF06569409A.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 162
Every head will be different so you will have to play around with shims etc. Those decorative holes will effect balance and swing so think before drilling them.
Heck charge extra for the holes an claim they are carefully calculated. Ask customers for height and arm length so you can claim they are custom drilled.
You might consider surface grinding instead of milling.
Bil lD

Every head will be different so you will have to play around with shims etc. Those decorative holes will effect balance and swing so think before drilling them.
Heck charge extra for the holes an claim they are carefully calculated. Ask customers for height and arm length so you can claim they are custom drilled.
You might consider surface grinding instead of milling.
Bil lD

Thanks for the response bill! Yes, you are correct.. Most people want them to give the putter more toe hang, which is done by taking the weight out of the heel. What Mill End would be used for that? Also- what's a good place to start with shims?

Hey all! First of all I’m a novice to milling/machining. I run a putter restoration business and have been outsourcing face milling for a while now. I’m at the point where getting a mini mill with a power feed will pay for itself with the amount of putters I am restoring.. so what would be a good setup? The close up of the putter is the milling I’m trying to achieve, the purpose is to take out the dings and dents but still keep the logo on the heel..

The main question I have is what is the best way to secure the putter head so that the face is dead flat? The putter face is milled with a 4* angle.. so I’d either have to skew the putter head, or shim the vise. Pictures provided.

Lastly, I’ve had request for a decorative hole on parts of the putter but am unsure what end mill I could use to achieve it. Again see pictures.

Appreciate any and all feedback!

chucking blocks are loose pieces of metal made up to hold odd shape parts better.
obviously you can use hot melt glue to hold stuff but be aware when temp changes it often breaks free suddenly. instant glue is strong but tends to be harder to break free and or remove. heat or solvents often used.
glass lenses when ground often use pitch mix which is a older type of hot melt glue. the mix typically has wax or other stuff with some rubbery give to it so it doesnt break free suddenly.
double sided foam tape sometimes used to hold parts. again it got some give to it so it doesnt break free suddenly. can be time consuming to get apart and clean. again heat and solvents often used. .030 foam tape common in many shops

Back