What's new
What's new

FADAL VMC6030 - removing cabinet for moving?

arsenix

Aluminum
I am looking at a Fadal VMC6030. Also considering other similar sized machines like Haas VF4. Unfortunately my workspace has a hallway leading to it that is 89" wide, which is larger than these machines when fully assembled.

Does anyone here have experience breaking these machines down partially? I'm presuming I'd have to maybe remove the cabinet to get the width down below 89". The building is otherwise equipped with smooth, stout floors so rolling around should be straightforward.

Thanks!

James

I would think just taking the chip enclosure off, maybe X servo motor would get it to fit through 89". Is that what you mean or are you talking about the electrical cabinet on the back?

If I had to take the electric cabinet off I would consider removing a section of the roof and craning it in.

Might be easier to just take the sheet metal enclosure apart. Plus you get the opportunity to reseal it as you get it back together.

I would try to avoid removing the electric cabinets if I could.

The pendant is not too bad to unhook. It’s mostly got plugs for everything that can just be disconnected.

Indeed I was thinking the chip enclosure. The electrical cabinet is fairly deep I guess that would also take some width off but I have the same fear as you guys do about undoing the wiring. I removed the electrical cabinet from a CNC previously and it was quite a bear to get it running again.

I presume the enclosure isn't too heavy and just bolts together? I have a smaller VMC (a Bridgeport) and on that machine the enclosure is pretty trivial to remove.

Do folks who have experience with one of these think I could move it with skates and toejacks or will I absolutely need a forklift? We don't have a forklift at my facility but we do have very solid/smooth concrete floors. I would need to roll it off truck and into elevator. I think getting it from truck to loading dock is my biggest concern. I have moved a number of machines but not one quite this large.

The chip enclosure sheet metal can be a real b1tch to reinstall. At the factory it was put together by brute force, the bolt holes will not be easy to get back into position. It may take 3 mules and a hoist to get it back on.
If you have the time, the electrical box is not that bad, just mark everything. Only hard part there is the transformer.

Do folks who have experience with one of these think I could move it with skates and toejacks or will I absolutely need a forklift? We don't have a forklift at my facility but we do have very solid/smooth concrete floors. I would need to roll it off truck and into elevator. I think getting it from truck to loading dock is my biggest concern. I have moved a number of machines but not one quite this large.

This isnt the place to try to roll the machine off a truck.

Skates work very badly on inclines and on parking lots, plus the parking lot typically can't handle the concentrated load of a skate.

Nobody wants to spend the money on a forklfit rental or riggers but its the right call if you ask me. A lot of $ is on the line in your machine.

I don't know who rents what in your area but around here we can get a 15k or 30k forklift for around $1k/week, delivered.

Rolling a 4020 was a slow and tedious process, I cant imagine a 6030 being any better.

I too would pull sheet metal prior to the electrical cabinet, and for the same reason, to reseal it.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Back