What's new
What's new

Favorite Lever Chain Hoist?

Arc-On

Aluminum
Got an upcoming job that will require a pair of lever hoists. I'd like to get a pair of nice ones to use around the shop for this job and future work.

I have a cheesy 1.5 ton HF special from the chinese buffet right now, and it's not very nice (big surprise), so I'm thinking its time to invest in a couple quality units.

I'd like something in the 1.5-3 ton range, I don't need to move the world, but I don't want to go smaller than 1.5 ton. I usually use these for pulling vs hoisting, but I do occasionally need to lift overhead loads and position in place to fasten/weld or whatever. I would prefer to oversize a tad and have some room in my capacity. I also don't want to go so overkill they're super heavy and have really long handles and are a pain to use for lighter loads.

Right now current leaders are the CM 653 series and the Harrington LB series. 10 foot chains preferred, but I could make 5 footers work.

I like the idea of dual pawl ratchet vs clutches, but I really don't have enough experience with either kind to say definitively one is better than the other.

I would prefer USA or Europe for COO, but I don't think there are many still made here? I may have to settle for asian imported. No one seems to list COO obviously, which tells me they're not proud of where they're made. But if they're a good quality unit, I can stomach asian imported if that's my only option.

Obviously cost is a factor, but I'm willing to spend what it takes to get what I need. I just don't want to throw away money needlessly. Looks like I'm in the 6-800 range per hoist to get a good one, but I could be persuaded as high as a grand per hoist if needed.

Thoughts and experiences? Things to avoid or look for?

Thank you!

I have and like the CM type, aluminum housings and heavy duty. Like this one:
CM Columbus McKinnon lever hoist 1 1/2 ton come along. | eBay
I also have a 3 ton one like this harrington:
Harrington LB030 Lever Chain Hoist 3-Ton | eBay
I dont like it as much, it is made of stamped sheet metal and just does not have the nice feel of the CM, also it is way heavier, (but also 3 ton instead if 1 1/2)
It looks like this one is marketed under several different brands.

The aluminum one just is lighter and more compact, but does have a longer handle. I always grab that one first. A buddy has a 3/4 ton? little one we used the other day, also really nice, his had the handle repaired on it, dont use a cheater bar on the handle, cast aluminum will break.

My primary employer users the Harrington chain falls and come a longs exclucivly. They load test and calibrate them and apparently parts are readily available.

I have a a pair of old yale lever hoists. I like that they use drive chain not link chain. It can get tangled up in storage but it stays in place while rigging up.
Bill D.

Harrington yes, and the Jet ones actually look pretty good. Had a jet 3 ton but very heavy. A lot nicer to carry a 1.5t 5'

I would recommend going a different direction and looking at Griphoist Tirfor or similar product they have a number of advantages over a chain puller. One being that the cable is much less likely to tangle and snag then a chain Perhaps the biggest being they can be used with what ever length cable the job requires. I keep two in my truck at all times and routinely use them as a horizontal pull to move machinery. Several of my customers were so impressed when they saw mine in use have since bought their own. They come in a number of brands with jet likely being the lower price choice

I use small chainfalls horizontally often. The chain is nicer than cranking a handle on many apps.

I have a massive 6 ton Jet lever hoist and it's ridiculous to use sideways. Way too much iron in that stupid thing.

Imo, finest that I've used is the Coffing LSB series. Easiest and fastest to use with the F-N-R lever and the freewheel mode to rapidly takeup slack chain either direction.

I have 3/4, 1.5 and 3t versions.

Battle tested thru a lot of planned projects and emergency maintenance in auto plants.

What I like about chain vs. aircraft cable is that chain will take a large margin more abuse and come out OK. You nick a strand in the cable and its peace-out from a compliance and inspection standpoint until you replace the cable.

I have a Beebe Bros 3 ton hoist that looks very similar to the coffing LSB. I have used it for all kinds of stuff from pulling to lifting to clamping. If I had the choice, this is the type of chain hoist I would get. I also have an old coffing with a roller chain, that doesn't get used 1/10th the time.

Imo, finest that I've used is the Coffing LSB series. Easiest and fastest to use with the F-N-R lever and the freewheel mode to rapidly takeup slack chain either direction.

+1. I have all sorts of lugalls and chain falls. I have only one of these and it's the nicest to use on any job where you can reach the handle.

Back