What's new
What's new

Foam tire Removal

Looks like a higher durometer foam. The usual fill is polyurethane and this comes in a wide range of durometers - from shore A10 to A60. The low durometer offers a smooth ride, but the larger deflection under constant movement creates a lot of internal heat that can damage the polyurethane and shorten the life of the tire.

Are they just doing this for fun. I looked into a set of 4 used foam filled 14.00 x 24.00 take offs that had been removed from the rims so air filled tires could be put back on. The price for the 4 tires was 2500.00 but they wanted another 2000 to install and top off the foam to set them onto my rims. So I know there is already a means to remove foam filled tires off rims without destroying everything. I stayed with air filled..

My forklift needed tires badly so a quick CL search found a pair with rims. (7.00 x 12)
Turned out they were filled like in the video. Bolt pattern on the rims was different of course. New ones were old split rim style and forklift had 2 piece rims (inner and outer halfs are same) I removed the lock ring etc on the rims with good tires and they slid off the rims with a little effort and the 2 piece rims went in with about the same little effort. Whole process was maybe 2 hrs.
The filling was inside a tube so it did not glue itself to the rims, it would have been hard to remove the filled tube from out of the tire though.

Are they just doing this for fun. I looked into a set of 4 used foam filled 14.00 x 24.00 take offs that had been removed from the rims so air filled tires could be put back on. The price for the 4 tires was 2500.00 but they wanted another 2000 to install and top off the foam to set them onto my rims. So I know there is already a means to remove foam filled tires off rims without destroying everything. I stayed with air filled..

I think that in the video, the rim is a split rim that requires getting the rim compressed inward enough to get the locking ring off. If the foam is a hard durometer like it appears to be, you would have a very difficult time to get the lock ring off, hence the tire cutting method.

Most of the smaller tire applications I have been around, cutting the old tire off was the accepted way to install a new tire.

Rob F.

did your replacement foam fill tires resemble these--I purchased
these for my hyster h60 which has duals--solid

I am puzzling over mounting options

Attachments

• 100_2546.jpg
    100_2546.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_2550.jpg
    100_2550.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_2541.jpg
    100_2541.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_2545.jpg
    100_2545.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_2548.jpg
    100_2548.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 84
Rob F.

did your replacement foam fill tires resemble these--I purchased
these for my hyster h60 which has duals--solid

I am puzzling over mounting options

Yes that style of rim. Do you need to remove the tires from those rims?
The hardest part of swapping tires on mine was getting the lock ring off, since the tire was filled with foam it would not "deflate" to give room to get the ring off. Took a bit of effort to pry the outer rim down so the lock ring could be pried out.
If you do not need to reuse the rims I would just cut the ring with a cutoff wheel in grinder, so it comes of in two pieces. Cut into rim as well, since the tire is solid no worries about nicking it either.

If you could rig some way to push down on the outer rim and compress the tire, that will make life easier. Big C clamps or make a kind of reverse gear puller to grab the center of the rim and push down on the outer rim piece. Probably only need to compress 1/2 or 1/3 of the tire at a time, just enough to get that section of lock ring out. Compressing the entire ring would be sure to keep lock ring from twisting.
On mine I was able to do it with 2 prybars but the lock ring twisted on its way out, so if you need to re use it that method may not be the best.

I just took a road trip and saw a forklift repair truck with a hydraulic press to change the hard rubber tires on his trailer. I had forgotten about these and seeing it on the road was a good reminder. If one of those guys has the right spacers that could be an easy option to remove tires from rims or at the least compress the tires a little to get the lock ring off.
Here is a link to the type of press used for those tires:

https://www.mile-x.com/dake-33-493/dak33493

Burn pile....Tires don't make smoke at night.

next morning, take rim from ashes, wire brush lightly, and re-paint.

I think the idea is to reuse the tires on rims that fit the lift.

I used to do desert racing in the '90's and one thing I still remember from one of the baja races was some locals had a bonfire going and they were all standing around it drinking beer. This is out in the desert, and it was a tire fire. Lets burn tires and stand next to it, WTF:nutter:

Why does everyone call this foam? Look at the video at 10:55 that is NOT foam it is solid urethane. I have had many of these done and I know what it is. Usually the material removed is reused by putting it in another tire prior to filling it to save money, as the material is not cheap. This is known as "chunking".

Why does everyone call this foam? Look at the video at 10:55 that is NOT foam it is solid urethane. I have had many of these done and I know what it is. Usually the material removed is reused by putting it in another tire prior to filling it to save money, as the material is not cheap. This is known as "chunking".
Just like people call can foam (for house sealing) "spray foam"....it don't "spray".

Back