Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Ford F150 Lightning

Who, if any of you, is putting down a deposit? Looks interesting, if it takes off, it will change the industry.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

dee
    ;-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, if it becomes as popular as IC powered trucks, it will take down the N.E. power grid.

Do those trucks carry coal? You know, to recharge the batteries.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not me. Now can be a tricky time to buy a truck. One does not know if they might be left holding the bag or paying too much. The Pres has said there should be many lightning charging stations installed.putting them where people live like apartments seems not useful. Too Ford is competing with the Tesla truck probably?

Smart move if it has fewer than more bugs and good service. F150 has brand support. I wonder what happens when one of these electrics floods out in a flash flood or a storm surge from a hurricane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My friend/coworker/neighbor put in a deposit. Then again, he likes weird vehicles. His daily is a diesel Porsche Cayenne, he just sold the electric BMW i3 to get the Porsche, before that, he had a Mini Cooper, and before that, a Cadillac CTS-V wagon... He's all over the place with cars. Oh, he's got a deposit on two Cyber Trucks too, but only because he accidentally clicked submit 2x.

5. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    My friend/coworker/neighbor put in a deposit. Then again, he likes weird vehicles. His daily is a diesel Porsche Cayenne, he just sold the electric BMW i3 to get the Porsche, before that, he had a Mini Cooper, and before that, a Cadillac CTS-V wagon... He's all over the place with cars. Oh, he's got a deposit on two Cyber Trucks too, but only because he accidentally clicked submit 2x.
    Does he know the specs and materials on the cyber truck? What do they cost and what is the deposit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

too small for me. I cant see owning a full sized pickup without an 8 foot bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Noboy here's gonna buy it - Biden loved it.

9. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I want to see is the range estimate while towing 10,000 pounds.

11. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Trueturning, eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My question is: Who is going to get priority for power during a heat wave/cold snap? Electric vehicle owners or heating /cooling electric users ??? That could get real ugly in a hurry ! Hybrid vehicles I can see, pure electric not so much unless we build more nuclear plants ,lots of then. Or we could harness the hot air/wind coming off the politicians !!LOL!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels17 View Post
    Perhaps 10% of truck owners will ever tow that much weight. It would be interesting to see the the data with or with out a load.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MCritchley View Post
    Perhaps 10% of truck owners will ever tow that much weight. It would be interesting to see the the data with or with out a load.
    With Americas obesity problem????

15. Likes dcsipo, Hightemp, karl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, not for me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could see buying one in a few years if they don't turn out to be problematic. I'd use it to replace the Toyota Tacoma that is our run around town truck, and still keep the Chevrolet diesel duallie for any serious hauling/long range travel where a home charging station wouldn't cover usual 10-20 miles we usually see in a day.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels17 View Post
    I'm sure FLT will be testing it with full payload up the Ike Gauntlet for battery range.

I would have to have a bumper sticker that said: Charged with 100% coal power.

19. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember that, of the 65,000 F Series trucks Ford sold this last February (2021) Zero of em had manual trannies. The vast majority of F series buyers never tow anything.
    For most people, the electric would do just fine. They arent planning on this truck replacing 100% of F series buyers- but I bet Ford would be very happy to sell 30% of their trucks electric. Its less work to make em, fewer parts, less warranty service- not much to break on an electric. They barely use the brakes, and have no fuel or exhaust systems. Ford will make more on these than on gas drive trucks, apples to apples.

I dont do much jobsite work anymore, but the idea of the truck being able to supply 110volt electricity on site is gonna sell a fair amount of in-city contractors who dont tow excavators- electricians, plumbers, etc. The current (2021) F150 hybrid already has 2 20amp circuits- and the electric will have more amps available.

21. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    too small for me. I cant see owning a full sized pickup without an 8 foot bed.
    I do not see that being a problem for too long, if the demand is there they will make a long bed version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

long beds, in general, are rare. I had to special order my last one, it was a fleet model. I would guess that after a while, there will be cab and chassis available in fleet models, but 8' beds are not easy to find from any manufacturer any more. You cant get a Ram 1500 with an 8 foot bed, period. Nor can you get a Tacoma, a Frontier, or a Colorado or a GMC Canyon with an 8 foot bed. And even the trucks you can get with 8 foot beds, they make a tiny amount of them, usually you have to get a dealer to swap for one.

24. Likes Mr.Green liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The name lightning suggests high performance. I remember an old mechanic telling me about the Ford Lightning 20 years ago. I saw one in front of the John Deere dealer next door and waited to see who would get in it. Turned out to be an old man, now my neighbor. Could not figure out why the old grey haired guy needed such a fast truck. He could afford it so why not?

Not sure what performance level this new electric "Lightning" would be set for, maybe there will be a more practical version for work? Down here in South Texas when it is 100+ with dew points in the 70's how much power will the A/C take? You guys up north when it is 10 below what about the heater?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    With Americas obesity problem????
    Oi! You're only about 5% behind us, ya' pommy basta'd.

Global Obesity Levels - Obesity - ProCon.org

27. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    The name lightning suggests high performance. I remember an old mechanic telling me about the Ford Lightning 20 years ago. I saw one in front of the John Deere dealer next door and waited to see who would get in it. Turned out to be an old man, now my neighbor. Could not figure out why the old grey haired guy needed such a fast truck. He could afford it so why not?
    Hey, I'm almost 62 and driving a Raptor! Sold my Mustang to get it. I'd consider an electric sports/retirement car, but will probably just end up with a Porsche. You're only as old as you feel.