Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    So, any wild guess as to how long your 7 years old EV will go or will there be something other than the motor/battery/drive system will fail or will the whole vehicle wear out about the same time? Guess this speaks in general more to Tesla build quality.
    You piqued my curiosity so I went out and looked at all the typical rust spots on my 7 year old Model S and there are no signs of any corrosion anywhere, its in great shape. It is however mostly made of aluminum and has been garage kept all its life. Still particularly with all the salt they use on the roads here even aluminum will corrode and I didn't see any evidence of that on the car. The interior is starting to look a bit worn, but there is nothing different about its interior than any other car.

2. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36 View Post
    You piqued my curiosity so I went out and looked at all the typical rust spots on my 7 year old Model S and there are no signs of any corrosion anywhere, its in great shape. It is however mostly made of aluminum and has been garage kept all its life. Still particularly with all the salt they use on the roads here even aluminum will corrode and I didn't see any evidence of that on the car. The interior is starting to look a bit worn, but there is nothing different about its interior than any other car.
    What kind of battery life are you seeing compared to new? The only batteries I still have from 7 years ago are in cordless drills, and I would guess they are less than 50% of new life.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside Fab View Post
    What kind of battery life are you seeing compared to new? The only batteries I still have from 7 years ago are in cordless drills, and I would guess they are less than 50% of new life.
    Ask the Google -- "Tesla battery life chart".

92-95% capacity after 100,000 miles.

Regards.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. Was more curious what the guy that has had one for 7 years had to say though.

6. Likes CalG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    Not sure where you are getting the "15k for decades fact", but I'm just going on personal observation, by being a potential consumer for a used truck/suv.

Maybe 1 out of 10 used vehicles will average 15k miles per year of age, but from my observations of used vehicles and the miles they show (via ebaymotors, cars.com, autotrader, FB marketplace, local independent dealers), 9 out of 10 used cars/trucks/suv's will average closer to 20-30k miles per year of age.

It's really quite astonishing how many miles we drive! Mayor Pete realizes it, that's why he proposed a "driven-miles tax". (Not a bad idea, IMO, although just raising the gas tax has the same effect).

And as far as a road trip in a Tesla, I know of no charging stations along the interstates down this way (there may be, I haven't looked). And I didn't realize a Tesla could be fully charge in one hour (the time for a family to eat).

I was thinking current EV tech pretty much requires overnight charging to get battery fully-topped....
    Personal observation

SO you made it up

Crap that originates inside your head is not a fact

How about the statistics that have been taken by insurance companies and gov'ts for decades?

Oh fake news I guess

that is a great thing, when you make stuff up, and then refuse to acknowledge actual sources of information, you are never wrong

You know of no charging stations, again, you make stuff up,

there are tesla chargers in every state on virtually every interstate

Find Us | Tesla

your ignorance of them is not a 'fact'

current ev tech is 20-80 percent in an hour at fast DC chargers

again, your ignorance is not a fact

8. Likes mkd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I guess the answer is you don't own an EV.
    I guess you don't have answers, valid questions or a point.

just a political opinion that does not accept facts

not playing your game

go buy a point, bobblehead

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Miles per year.
    There has to be huge variation here among users.
    Miles per trip also?
    So I wonder. How far is work from home? How far is a weekend getaway?
    How often does one really do 200-300 miles in a day?
    Sure when younger I'd drive down to TeachMe's town often non-stop with 3-4 minutes in a gas station on the way but now a break is sort of okay.
    This would be 1300+ miles at one shot. Get real, how often does one do this?

Generator or other. A gas generator is around 6HP mid size. A auto eats 5-10 HP to move along so one hour on a small generator buys you an hour in the car.
    Campsite gasoline powered generator and electric car or truck. Hmm.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Does anyone know how amenable to back woods charging the current crop of EV's are?
    Where we camp we always have a few hundred watts of solar panel with us.
    I wonder how possible it is to drop the ten amps or so of DC into the cars system to trickle charge.
    The truck pretty much sits once we get to campground so plenty of time to get some juice into the bank if a hookup is possible.
    It would be more fuss but I guess doable to bring an inverter etc.
    If you had an extra 1700 watts of solar at 125 volts. I am not sure what happens when the charger cannot get its full current, whether it can lower its load or it would error

I do not believe that the charging is super flexible, it has a computer connection to handshake with the charger, you don't just dump voltage to it.

You could probably set up the solar panels to maintain rather than charge, to keep the truck from draining itself.
    I guess camping more than half the vehicle range from the nearest charger is not in the picture.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tesla will take over the market $1200 stock price

Senate Committee Okays Bill To Boost Electric Vehicle Credits Up To $12,500

So the senate committee is proposing $10k rebate (call it what you will) for EVs without a per manufacturer limit.
    Commies are making an extra $2500 carve out for commie labor unions payoffs.

Seems to me Tesla is in a very unique position to take over the world with this catalyst.
    Teslas are better than the legacy crap automaker in every way and incomparable in others. Change my mind......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Miles per year.
    There has to be huge variation here among users.
    Miles per trip also?
    So I wonder. How far is work from home? How far is a weekend getaway?
    How often does one really do 200-300 miles in a day?
    Sure when younger I'd drive down to TeachMe's town often non-stop with 3-4 minutes in a gas station on the way but now a break is sort of okay.
    This would be 1300+ miles at one shot. Get real, how often does one do this?

Generator or other. A gas generator is around 6HP mid size. A auto eats 5-10 HP to move along so one hour on a small generator buys you an hour in the car.
    Campsite gasoline powered generator and electric car or truck. Hmm.
    Bob
    Bob brings some good points on this subject,
    Range has to be, at the very minimum 400 miles towing 2500lbs. Without this requirement, EV trucks are not worth the cost. You have to have a range that can exceed what you can normally drive in a 8-10 hour trip.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

EV medium goods delivery already has swappable battery packs,might be hard to do with a car ,not so with a truck........ by a point of exchange payment ,any adjustment for battery condition can be made ,as well as the charging tariff.....Another alternative is energy provider ownership of batteries ,with a set price per exchange.Changeover at current fuel sales sites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    ...as someone who still fixes his own vehicle, we aren't there yet, and maybe never will be, in terms of open access to parts.
    I agree, if one buys what car companies offer. Roll your own conversion (increasingly getting easier) and the possibilities are almost endless. See EVWest for consulting, parts, etc, just for one example.

The Teslas I've seen/driven/rode in have more electronics than an ICE car, are just as heavy and resemble an electrified Buick. The trend for all cars for sale in the US is towards more complication.

An older lighter vehicle converted is in my future because it's the only way I'll get a car I can work on and afford. Detroit and Tesla will never make a car for people like me or you. Tata might, but it won't be legal here.

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Part of the strategy for an electric vehicle infrastructure will be making charging a "reversible" process, where cars/trucks are hooked up overnight when demands are lower, then during the day (and still hooked up) they act as emergency power backup and are discharged back onto the grid to meet peak demands.

This load balancing aspect is potentially very attractive for power generators, and makes planning both immediate generation and future growth easier.

Now, this won't work for every vehicle or situation (if you need to charge during the day to make a trip, you won't be pleased to find your battery somewhat discharged), so there might be different cost structures for charging - a low rate when you can let your car be part of the balance process, and a high rate when you need off-schedule charging and can't be a power buffer.
    That's already happening with Tesla PowerWalls. (See GMP's programs, with the powerco subsidising the battery bank.)

Quote Originally Posted by Janderso View Post
    The environmental impact of an electric vehicle is 10 times worse on the environment when you look at cradle to grave...
    References or calculations please?
    The other thing to consider is the battery. A battery replacement for most hybrids, exceeds $20,000 making them cost prohibitive....
    My niece just replaced the battery in her 12 year old Prius for under $5K at the dealer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I guess you don't have answers, valid questions or a point.

just a political opinion that does not accept facts

not playing your game

go buy a point, bobblehead
    Poor 'Gus'...

No more Radio Shack to hang out at since The Mall closed. Growing more bitter by the day.

Sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it is the bobbleheads wriggling, trying to talk about anything other than the truth
    Yes,I remember the truth that you told me about charging stations in the UK. You didn't have a clue about the subject.

18. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Poor 'Gus'...

No more Radio Shack to hang out at since The Mall closed. Growing more bitter by the day.

Sad.
    poor idiot newbie troll, still cannot buy a point

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Yes,I remember the truth that you told me about charging stations in the UK. You didn't have a clue about the subject.
    I'm sorry are there no charging stations in the UK? As clueless as you daily prove yourself, do tell us what is happening in the UK

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone said how and where they will dispose of the 200,000,000 lithium batteries when the first round of cars wear out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ford F150 Lightning

One thing Iíve noticed about fans of EVís is their assumption of absolute reliability, because they have no IC-based mechanical drive train.

Sure, there are a lot less mechanical things that can fail on an EV, but what about all the electrics complexity?

Any of us who run CNC machines more than a few years old know what breaks on them most of the time: electrical stuff!

I would imagine after a few years of use (not to mention a decade or two) due to the environment in which they are operated, most EVís will suffer electrical issues big-time as the age.

All it takes is the failure of one 50-cent microchip buried on a board somewhere deep within the car to bring it to a halt.

It will be interesting to see how Teslaís hold up after a few years of use. Everybody likes to think Tesla came out of the gate and really smoked the American Big 3 and the Japanese Big 3, but thatís just hubris. These huge companies have more automotive engineering knowhow from decades of hard-won experience than Tesla will ever have.

And thereís another little issue with EVís: Americans buy vehicles on emotion, largely driven by the interior and exterior styling of the vehicle.

Good looking vehicles sell, thatís why the auto builders chase each otherís successful styling trends (and colors.)

And thatís something no Tesla has going for it, they are butt-ugly.

23. Likes D.Minnich liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside Fab View Post
    Thanks. Was more curious what the guy that has had one for 7 years had to say though.
    It's lost about 7% of its capacity in 7 years, It seems like the rate of loss has been slowly down too. At that rate even in 30 years it will still have plenty of range for a daily driver. Won't be the greatest car for a road trip at that point, but it's still useful.

Once the rest of the car wears out the batteries will still be useful for stationary storage for decades, and then the batteries can be recycled with the expensive metals reused. There are already companies starting to do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry are there no charging stations in the UK? As clueless as you daily prove yourself, do tell us what is happening in the UK
    Where did I say that there are no charging stations in the UK? Another dream by Gustafson,just wriggling to show that he is not wrong.
    As clueless as you daily prove yourself why don't you tell us what is happening in the UK,you have tried to do it before ( and failed).