What's new
What's new

Ford F350 single rear wheel enough for moving 3800lb engine lathe?

Spud

Diamond
Rivett 1020s engine lathe. About 3800 lbs.

Would a Ford F350 super-duty extended cab pickup , that rental company claims has 6000 lbs payload , be adequate to move the lathe 280 miles ?

What about an F250 super-duty that truck rental says has 4000 lbs payload ?

The weight probably wouldn't be an issue but wondering on center of gravity ?

Here is Keith Rucker standing next to a Rivett 1020S. Gives you some idea of height and size, though I have no idea how tall Keith is. Mine is identical but a different one.
New Machine for the Shop: Rivett 1020S Tool Room Lathe - YouTube

I was quoted less than 200$ for a penske flatbed rental to move a 10K lbs lathe from northern wi to milwuakee. (one day rental)
I think that would make life pretty easy.

But I'm sure the ford wouldn't have an issue as long as you have a few sheets of plywood to keep the bed floor stiff.

I was quoted less than 200$ for a penske flatbed rental to move a 10K lbs lathe from northern wi to milwuakee. (one day rental)
I think that would make life pretty easy.

But I'm sure the ford wouldn't have an issue as long as you have a few sheets of plywood to keep the bed floor stiff.

I was thinking of the small Isuzu cab-over stake-bed from enterprise which have a payload of 6000 lbs and dual rear wheels, but they don't have those near me. I don't want to choose the large international stake beds they have; just too large.

The F350 is claimed to be offered in a dually version also; will have to check and see. If I can get a dually F350 4x4 , would that be fine ?

Did you have to pay a per mile charge for the Penske ?

Is this the Penske you used ? Freightliner flatbed ?
24 to 26 Foot Flatbed Truck Rental - Penske Commercial Truck Rental

I would try to rent a small tilting or drop deck trailer before trying to put a lathe like that in the bed of a pickup. If the truck had a flatbed that would be another story, sheet metal truck beds just don't have tie down points that are meant for that kind of weight. If you don't have anything to tow a trailer, maybe rent the f250 and a trailer?

Any of the trucks you listed will be fine. Just bring a stack of 4' 2x4s to block from the front of the bed to the lathe. You want the lathe to push against the front of the bed where it meets the floor and is strongest there. 2 or 3 2x4's on edge should do it, you just dont want the lip on top of the bed front to rub on the lathe or bent the bed front. Then remove the tailgate and run a strap or straps around the lathe and down to the frame on each side. This strap will keep the lathe from joining you in the cab if you have to stop fast (or hit something and stop really fast). Use the front in bed tie downs to suck the lathe tight to the 2x4's probably load headstock to the front and go around it to each tie down point. If you are lucky the tailgate will fit back on over the straps, be sure it is not rubbing on them though. Bring edge protection for the lathe and truck so nothing gets cut or rubbed on.

Where is the lathe? Im going to be running a flatbed trailer up and back from northern wi

Grand Rapids Mi. Needs to be out before the 31st . Going this Friday cause it is my only day off. I am in the machine tool program at MATC , class is everyday 7am to 4:30pm.

I forgot to mention I will be make a custom pallet for the lathe, and bolting it down to the pallet. Will use 4x4 douglass fir to make the pallet runners and good quality wood for the deck. Figure pallet weight of around 90 lbs.

Will 3000 lb rated tie down ratchets be ok ? I plan to use about 6 of them.

The penske on silver spring and 41 quoted me $110 a day plus .18 per mile.
I was looking at the 26 foot and over 26,000 gvw because I have my class A cdl. I was requesting a international with a Eaton 8LL manual trans... apparently they have only a few like that, or so I was told.
Certificate of insurance from my insurance guy handles that aspect.

If your looking for smaller I suggest elco on good hope I think you can get a chevy topkick or a chevy 3500 flatbed from them.

I would highly recommend a flatbed.

I am a chain and ratchet binder kinda guy when I move Iron.

The penske on silver spring and 41 quoted me $110 a day plus .18 per mile.
I was looking at the 26 foot and over 26,000 gvw because I have my class A cdl. I was requesting a international with a Eaton 8LL manual trans... apparently they have only a few like that, or so I was told.
Certificate of insurance from my insurance guy handles that aspect.

If your looking for smaller I suggest elco on good hope I think you can get a chevy topkick or a chevy 3500 flatbed from them.

I would highly recommend a flatbed.

I am a chain and ratchet binder kinda guy when I move Iron.

I'll check Elco out tomorrow and see if they have the Chevy 3500 flatbed. I don't have a CDL .

Why would you want to put a lathe in the back of a truck? It is hard to load, hard to unload, high center of gravity, directly behind your head in the event of a crash and if in a pickup you have nothing to tie down to.

Rent something like this and use a come-a-long to load and, on one lathe I moved, 2 guys and gravity to unload. A set of rollers and a come-a-long to let it down would be the wiser way to unload though.

12' Lift Bed Tandem Axle Trailer <10K# | Sunbelt Rentals

Around here it costs around $120 for the weekend.

Weight is not an issue, you need to have a way to tie it down to something sturdy and bolted to the frame.

Elco has a few flatbeds that do not require a CDL. I've rented from them and Germantown Truck. They are quite easy to drive, I would feel a lot more comfortable loading and unloading on a beat up flat bed.

What was the hammer price on the lathe?

How do you plan on unloading it? The bed of a truck is quite high and the lathe is too heavy. Sure don’t want to drop it!! I can speak from experience. I dropped a Logan 15” lathe with a 10’ bed in the mud. Had to get a crane truck to help me out. I still move a lot of machinery around but use a low bed trailer it also has a 12,000 pound winch which helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Book says 3900#, then add in the chains, your custom pallet, a few just in case supplies, and whatever else you get and you are well over 4,000#. Then add in the pita of putting the lathe in the truck bed, and then getting it out. Either get a larger flat bed truck or a trailer.

A quick glance at the internet showed the gross cargo capacity of a f350 srw to be about 4200#. That gives you a capacity load with a very high center of gravity, all carried on the rear axle. I don't know how sporty the roads you are taking will be, but that will not be a relaxing drive with the best of roads.

I would try to rent a small tilting or drop deck trailer before trying to put a lathe like that in the bed of a pickup. If the truck had a flatbed that would be another story, sheet metal truck beds just don't have tie down points that are meant for that kind of weight. If you don't have anything to tow a trailer, maybe rent the f250 and a trailer?
Exactly. Sure, you can put 4000# of soil in a 3/4t and it will be no issue but it requires but a tarp to secure it. A lathe, on the other hand, is a top heavy miserable load to restrain properly.

Either get a truck with a flat bed (that has proper tie points), or rent a trailer with proper tie points.

I think it all comes down to what you are comfortable with.
Either way will move a lathe, but you don't want to do that driving worrying about your load, or not being comfortable with what you are driving, or uncomfortable unloading from that height.

Don't be cheap, know your limits, and pick what you are comfortable with.

I have hauled a couple of 3200lb Hendey T&G lathes long distance ( last one 3000miles) and there is no way I would put a top heavy load like a lathe in the back of a pickup!

Rent a lift deck trailer if you can, or a flat deck car hauler. Keep the weight low, and well tied down.
It's not just the haul, but the load/unload that needs to be considered.

I've seen too many poorly loaded trucks come to grief as the result of "frugality" Pay me now or pay me later!

Peter
1 Hendey from Neosho MO to Sudbury Ontario
1 Hendey from Portland OR to Ottawa Ontario Canada
lots of other loads long distance with pickup and trailer.

Here is what I settled on

Reserved a 2020 Ford F550 XL stake-bed dually . Payload is somewhere between 10K and 12K

Stake sides come off easily, so can side load. Has maxon liftgate but that is only good for 1600lbs. Has wood decking and lots of places for tie down on the stake-bed.

Making custom pallet for the Rivett. Gona have it loaded with a forklift and unloaded with a forklift.

The Ford's stake bed is wide enough that I can lay the lathe transversely but gona go length wise to make unloading easiler.

Back