Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good luck and have a safe trip. Be sure and use lots of straps. Can’t have to many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im a truk guy,3/16 checkerplate tray with chains etc.......however ,one time I had to collect a big winch from an auction and the only transport was a International pickup with pressed tin tub body and a sheet of maybe 5 ply for a floor.The winch weighed two tons ,and I thought the tub would be destroyed ......but the whole thing held the weight ,the tyres were old style 8.25x16s,suspension no problem......Later ,for work I had a small Jap (Mazda) tray top pickup ,rated 1 ton ,regularly carried two ton bulker bags of garnet on it.....Close to the ground for sure.....but when a crew is low on garnet on a Friday afternoon for a weekend job,thats what ya do.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like you've got the right equipment rented.

FYI, last year I bought a Monarch 10EE. I have a GMC 2500HD and trailer with enough capacity, but due to logistical problems, I decided to rent a truck. I called the local Uhaul, and the kid behind the counter said that they had a single rear wheel box truck that had a capacity of 6000 lbs, which didn't sound right to me. When I looked at the GVWR on the data plate, it was less than my GMC! Turns out that the kid was looking at TOWING capacity. This situation was the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned 6000 lb capacity. ALWAYS check the truck data plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hauled a lot in the beds of Superduties.

F-250's have pretty soft rear springs for 2 tons in the bed. They will do it, but handling is shitty without airbags.

F-350 will not care if you have 3 tons in the bed. Handles fine.

Just don't exceed tire ratings and you're fine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

F350 is fine, but a single rear wheel would be unstable. You want one with a wheel on each side so it doesn't tip over.

6. Likes mattthemuppet, Ries liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does payload still include the weight of the driver+passengers, fuel, oil etc?
    Bill D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Changed rental to F450 since it will be a smoother ride, and price is the same. Payload is 7800 lbs, and has same size stake-bed as the F550.

Only reason I went with the F450 over the F550 was me wondering if the stiffer ride on the F550 would be worse for the lathe ?

Should I lay down some rubber pading between the lathe and the pallet ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Changed rental to F450 since it will be a smoother ride, and price is the same. Payload is 7800 lbs, and has same size stake-bed as the F550.

Only reason I went with the F450 over the F550 was me wondering if the stiffer ride on the F550 would be worse for the lathe ?

Should I lay down some rubber pading between the lathe and the pallet ?
    Run a strap over the carriage then nothing should be bouncing. I wouldn't worry about a thing.
    Tailstock is clamped or remove it.
    Take the chuck off and you have just the mass of the spindle itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You will be fine with the F450. I own a F350 and would not hesitate to move this lathe in my truck. On a number of occasions I have moved Monarch 10EE lathes in my F350 and It handled them fine. The biggest concern is tires and I think the rental F350 with stock tires would likely be a little light in the tire department and the F450 will be just fine. On my F350 I run non stock 225 70 19.5 G rated tires which are the stock tires for the F550. If the rental F350 was a dually then I would not hesitate to use it. The F450 will be a Dually

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I moved a Monarch CK12 in my R30 Chevrolet dually (its a 32yo truck). 100 ish miles. Towing another trailer.

Main thing is to tie the machine down to the ladder frame of the truck and not the bed as that's just a tin box.

Good to have long forks and something like an 8k truck as the counterbalance needed is pretty good.

My gantry crane just happened to allow the dually to pass thru it by like 1" or less and so it got loaded like that.

Somewhere in the ancient archives there are pics. I'm not finding them just right now.

I don't think the trucks nor tires went down in capacity over the next 30 ish years...been roughly 13 since I moved it. Like anything you have to be a reasonable "old person driver" with what you are asking the truck to do and not treat it like you are out to win an Indy Race. If anything maybe an old truck is good for those reasons because its not rocked up with 1000 ft-lbs of diesel engine power.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the tailstock, lock it, then tie the lever off in locked position so it does not vibrate loose. I lock the carriage too. Good luck, get some pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got the lathe back to Wi on Tuesday. Big thanks to PM member Adh2000 who helped me out by unloading and storing the machine at his place.

Will post pics soon, soon as my Iphone decides it will let my desktop recognize it.

Got to say, parts of I-94 in Michigan are terrible . Very very bumping / undulating roads. Felt like a boat going over shallow waves.

14. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by matt_isserstedt View Post
    I moved a Monarch CK12 in my R30 Chevrolet dually (its a 32yo truck). 100 ish miles. Towing another trailer.

Main thing is to tie the machine down to the ladder frame of the truck and not the bed as that's just a tin box.

Good to have long forks and something like an 8k truck as the counterbalance needed is pretty good.

My gantry crane just happened to allow the dually to pass thru it by like 1" or less and so it got loaded like that.

Somewhere in the ancient archives there are pics. I'm not finding them just right now.

I don't think the trucks nor tires went down in capacity over the next 30 ish years...been roughly 13 since I moved it. Like anything you have to be a reasonable "old person driver" with what you are asking the truck to do and not treat it like you are out to win an Indy Race. If anything maybe an old truck is good for those reasons because its not rocked up with 1000 ft-lbs of diesel engine power.....

Total distance travelled around 600 miles . Wasted a lot of time and miles by taking the wrong exits multiple times. So had to double back .

Glad I rented the stakebed truck, as loading and unloading was a breeze and the numerous tie down spots with a stake-bed / flat-bed truck is the way to go. Stake-bed sides are a bit of a PITA to remove and put back. Seems to get decent fuel economy. 10 speed auto and diesel. I was the first person to rent the truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)