Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Manuals are good for owner operators,and a safer buy with a lot of hours.....there s no way you could put a dumb kid on a manual fork......manuals cant work in high productivity locations like freight terminals,even with an experienced manual operator........but for my use ,its a manual every time,and older manuals do sell for a premium

2. Likes mllud22, Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post

That hurt to watch!

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

4. Likes Matt_Maguire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The answer to your question isn't what is best, but what you can get serviced most affordably.

Forklift service guys are out there, but good forklift service guys are hard to find...if you've got one of those, ask them what they recommend.

6. Likes steve-l liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The answer to your question isn't what is best, but what you can get serviced most affordably.

Forklift service guys are out there, but good forklift service guys are hard to find...if you've got one of those, ask them what they recommend.
    Spot on. I think all of the major brands are OK, but the best for you will be all about price, parts and service available to you. I live in Germany. I use STILL.........guess why?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal View Post
    Ya don't have to get that fancy, just a few big boys work in a pinch.
    Din't have no weight-steers around that day ... but it was a 32,000 lb Sundstrand on a 25,000 lb Hyster. And 200 lb me with another 200 in cutoffs in a bucket, swinging at the end of the bar. Had to go up a few feet to set down on the double-drop. Scary.

Good thing the guy driving was gooood, Orrin Asimus, A & S Transportation, bless his memory. Super guy, the wife made him quit driving cross-country so he went in to Walmart and applied for a local delivery job on his sixtieth birthday.

Now, how many of you have chained a little forklift to the big forklift to get the added weight ?

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That big boy in back was every bit a 400 pounder alone. I think that was an 8K Clark. The 13EE is 12K

That Sundstrand sounds a lot like my surface grinder. My 25K Hyster was a bit light taking it off a step deck, a couple of 1100 lb Unimog plow weights on the back bumper.

I never used a little one as ballast but I do put it on the Bertha to get it into trailers.

As far as brands, I like my Hysters and I like em with clutches. I just got a Mitsubishi with a free lift 3 stage mast, it is a great little forklift EXCEPT the auto.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I absolutely love my 8K Hyster with a clutch!

Unimog plow weights eh?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our Cat has been a good unit, drove a few Hysters that worked really well too over the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an old 4k hyster and a 6k clark which are both manuals at home. Both are really old but good lifts. We mainly have Hysters (some Clark and a couple Taylors(big) also) where I work and they have been very good lifts. They recently bought a new 6k Hyandai (spelling?). It doesn't seem too bad a lift but I'm not crazy about the auto. Seems next to impossible for me to ease into something. I can do much better with the auto's in the hysters. I do like a standard myself but in a production environment the auto is probably best imo.

Jeff

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The worst possible setup, if you are trying to be easy, is the Hysters with the forward and reverse on the pedal, or any lift that kicks out of gear when you push the brake pedal. Both of these features are made for production work with pallets, but doesn't work at all when you are trying to be slow and easy. If you try to take off on any incline, you'll roll backwards 5' before the trans kicks in to go forward.

On the ones that go to neutral when you push the brake, they can be modified to where it doesn't do this with adjustment of the pedals.

Of all the lifts we've got, we've got a standard shift with oil clutch, torque converter trans lifts, and a couple with hydrostatic. The standard shift works great with somebody on it that knows how to operate it, but it's not for the novice. The hydros also work good, but will get hot if you have to do a bunch of high speed travel, and it doesn't have as much "feel" as the others. Probably the best overall is the torque converter, smooth and lots of control.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m not brand biased in anyway, I’ve been working with material handling equipment for over 30 years.
    Put a 1970s 15,000# rated forklift against any forklift built in last 5 years.
    Put a 20,000 # load, 24” load center on each.
    The 1970s forklift will likely lift nearly 20,000 pounds without steer axle tipping.
    The current year forklift will tip soon after 15,000 pounds.

--
    As far as my second comment on cost of ownership electric vs LPG/gas/diesel, I could show you my 20+ year spreadsheet cost per hour of my fleet and you’d see electric winning out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've owned a 1960's 2500 Hyster, 1980's S30E Hyster and an 1980's Komatsu 2500. I've driven lots of other lifts, but only for short times. The Older Hysters I had would lift much more than they were rated for. They were simple and always ran, but were a bit crude. They had lots of rub points, shitty wiring, had to tinker with them a lot. The Monotrols worked pretty good, but they did piss me off occasionally when they'd have a short delay and then slam into gear or roll backwards.

I bought my Komatsu cheap because it ran rough and was low on power. The electronic ignition had lost a trigger magnet and it was running on 3 cylinders. Once I figured that out I've really liked it. It doesn't lift much beyond it's capacity, but add extra counterweight and it does just like the Hysters did. I like that it's smoother, simpler, and easier to work on. The Komatsu has a column shifted auto and it holds in gear with your foot on the brake.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Din't have no weight-steers around that day ... but it was a 32,000 lb Sundstrand on a 25,000 lb Hyster. And 200 lb me with another 200 in cutoffs in a bucket, swinging at the end of the bar. Had to go up a few feet to set down on the double-drop. Scary.

Good thing the guy driving was gooood, Orrin Asimus, A & S Transportation, bless his memory. Super guy, the wife made him quit driving cross-country so he went in to Walmart and applied for a local delivery job on his sixtieth birthday.

Now, how many of you have chained a little forklift to the big forklift to get the added weight ?
    I will neither confirm nor deny that I have been a part of such shenannigans.