What's new
What's new

Forklift cylinder hydraulic leak

Cannonmn

Stainless
Our 10K lb. Cat propane forklift has had some leakage from top of lift cylinder, for a while. Today when there was pressure to the cylinder, a 1/8” approx. round hole spouted a steady stream of fluid, so I parked it. I didn’t get to check the manual or clean the cylinder to investigate further because I had to mop up hydraulic fluid from the shop floor until I had to leave. What I’d like to know is whether there’s normally some kind of relief hole in the top spanner ring nut on the cylinder, or could there be a setscrew that’s come out?

Leak is identifiable as the thin vertical brown line in the center of the picture.

Attachments

• E0BE5C45-3E39-4391-8B53-F04056327A63.jpg
    E0BE5C45-3E39-4391-8B53-F04056327A63.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 366
The dead side of that single acting cylinder needs a vent and that's usually a small push on tube fitting with companion tube that runs down the side of the cylinder and dumps back into the hydraulic tank(but not always). If the piston seal leaks at all, on full extension, the piston will push any oil that has leaked by back into the tank. If the hose is broken or the fitting is busted off it will push it onto the floor...whew, that was a mouthful, wasn't it!

Stuart

My vote is a cracked nut or failed weld. I dont remember many kitty kitties with vents. It will either have a vent or a massive rod. If it’s vented oil will blow the tube off pretty quick.

On most of the older Cats, this is the case. They have a actual piston that can force the oil out the vent. The sealing of pressure is on the piston, about all the end cap has is a dust seal that keeps trash out of the cylinder.

On most of the newer Cats I've been around, they just have a rod with no piston on the end, the rod acts as the piston. In these, all of the sealing is done on the end cap.

I have no idea what the hole is you are talking about as I can't tell from the pic. It could be, as has already been said, the vent. Even if it is a vent hole, if you have that much fluid coming out, the seal is shot. Might as well tear it down and rebuild.

On most of the older Cats, this is the case. They have a actual piston that can force the oil out the vent. The sealing of pressure is on the piston, about all the end cap has is a dust seal that keeps trash out of the cylinder.

On most of the newer Cats I've been around, they just have a rod with no piston on the end, the rod acts as the piston. In these, all of the sealing is done on the end cap.

I have no idea what the hole is you are talking about as I can't tell from the pic. It could be, as has already been said, the vent. Even if it is a vent hole, if you have that much fluid coming out, the seal is shot. Might as well tear it down and rebuild.

Here’s pic of the hole, definitely put there by maker, even has radius cut around it. In past couple days a heavy equipment repairman was highly recommended by local machinist club but he’s booked for a month. No problem waiting, can use smaller trucks for most things. He says some leaks can be fixed without removing cyl fm truck, so I’ll wait till he can do a house call. Meanwhile I found a seal kit for $80. Shipped and ordered it, never know when they’ll become extinct.

Attachments

• 6A8D0CF5-9587-408A-98C4-D0AEECC58DA1.jpg
    6A8D0CF5-9587-408A-98C4-D0AEECC58DA1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 193

Back