What's new
What's new

Forklift daily checklist

RJT

Titanium
We traded in an old forklift for a fairly new Hyster electric E50XN-33. The distributor gave us a daily checklist that they say is an OSHA requirement, 29 items to check, and supposed to keep records for 120 days. Trying to decide if this is a suggestion or requirement. Been in business 34 years , had 1 OSHA visit several years ago, and never heard of the need of this kind of documentation. Is the distributor just trying be extra cautious ? How common is this?

That would probably be the absolute last thing I would do. I've never heard anyone have anything other than nitpick problems after contacting OSHA. Pandoras box syndrome.

Haha has an information service so to speak.

No need to identify self but to ask for rules and procedures.

If needed then need to get PROPER procedure and inspection documents.

If not needed they can provide documentation backing that up.

They also do on site inspections with a non-enforcement role.

If you call them to inspect they can show good bad and ugly and provide guidance to what to correct and they do this without penalties if you call them.

If they come after a complaint then not so much

Insurance carriers sometimes provide this as they want to not pay a claim.

If you are running properly then inspection not so bad but if running otherwise then accident waiting to happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Forklift Inspections & Pre-Operation Checklist | Daily Checklist for Forklifts

Forklift Inspection: What Must You Do?

In its 29 CFR 1910.178 standard language, OSHA states that forklifts must be inspected either daily, or after each shift in cases where vehicles are in round-the-clock use. If problems are discovered, they must be reported and the forklift must be removed from service immediately. While there are no mandates in the standard as to precisely how the inspections must be conducted, there are suggested best practices readily available.
What Should Go Into a Toyota Forklift Daily Checklist?

If you do not have a pre-operational checklist for your forklifts established, do not worry—they are fairly intuitive. Manufacturers often provide sample checklists that are updated and customized as necessary. Referencing these directions are your best bet. If you wish to create your own checklist, though, the following are examples of checkpoints that should always be included in your daily forklift inspection:

Check fluid levels (oil, water, and hydraulic fluid, for example)
Check for leaks, cracks and visible defects everywhere on the forklift
Check mast chains visually; avoid the use of hands
Test mast chain tension by lifting the load backrest to eye level—the mast chains should be level and any tilting may signify stretching or broken rollers
Check tire condition, pressure, and look for any cuts or gouges
Determine fork condition, remembering to check the top clip retaining pin and heel
Ensure load backrest extension functions properly
Check functionality of finger guards
Ensure safety decals and nameplates are legible and match the forklift model
Check that the operators’ manual and log book are present and legible
Ensure the operators’ manual compartment is clean of debris
Test all functional safety devices, such as seat belts and horns
Check the brakes, steering controls and other operational items for proper function

Depending on the type of forklift you are using, there may be other propulsion-specific aspects to check:
Electric Forklifts Pre-operation Checklist

Here are a few items worth checking on your electric forklifts:

There is no fraying or exposed wires in cables or connectors
Battery restraints are functional
Electrolyte levels are proper
The hood latch is operational

Use this Electric Forklifts Inspection Checklist to inform your own practice:

Aah ,yes ,the daily checklist.....I used to sit in my little office every Friday doing hundreds of ticks in daily check books for all the mobile plant......You try getting operators to fill in the check books.....I would fire guys on the spot for refusing,theyd go up to the main office ,be back in five minutes ....UN-fired.

The bosses put up one of the giant parabolic mirrors so s you can see round corners .....about 10ft up ,didnt stop it getting smashed in the first week.......Foreman used to drive round with 30ft lengths of pipe on the forks,he could unload a semi load of 4" pipe in five minutes.....One time a cadet engineer who was a football jock stood on a big pile of 4" pipe ,and started it rolling ....thought he was going to log ride ....pipes sucked him in an rolled his legs flat.

I know several places that have been dinged for it. Usually in conjunction with no training, and dont forget the sticker that says you have to be over a certain age.

Yep, it's a OSHA requirement that you do a daily inspection (it's actually each shift). Don't forget that you are also required to have proof of training for any operators. In 35 years, we've never been checked for either.
About the only time OSHA shows up around here is if somebody rats you out, or you have a serious accident.

OHS turned up and pinged us for having holes cut in fork tynes for a towball,and also issued a written instruction the hole was not to be welded up......then the two inspectors went round to the tyne maker and picked up their bribe money.

Back