What's new
What's new

Forklift Mounted Jib Crane Options?

Rick Finsta

Stainless
So I'm running my first large steel parts in the Okuma and need a better solution since I'm a one-man shop. It is a PITA to get the forklift facing the front of the machine so I'm looking for something I can swing sideways. I know I can make something but I have seen these in a straight/telescoping configuration for like $500-1000 which would be great. I plan on using a small winch and magnet to hold the material so I don't need to have someone on the forklift controls to lower it onto the parallels.

Currently I just pull the forklift in at an angle and then basically muscle the stock off the forks and into the vise. DANGEROUS. For me and the equipment.

So if someone knows of a commercially-available option that would allow me to drive up to the machine with the forks facing across the front of it, then swing the load sideways into the machine enclosure and lower it into place, that'd be great!

Not that I know of.
It would overstress the little rollers that keep the carriage side-to-side.

They make "movable jib cranes" basically a small (1000lb and under, 10' arm)
jib on a big block of steel plates with forklift pockets under.

So I'm running my first large steel parts in the Okuma and need a better solution since I'm a one-man shop. It is a PITA to get the forklift facing the front of the machine so I'm looking for something I can swing sideways. I know I can make something but I have seen these in a straight/telescoping configuration for like $500-1000 which would be great. I plan on using a small winch and magnet to hold the material so I don't need to have someone on the forklift controls to lower it onto the parallels.

Currently I just pull the forklift in at an angle and then basically muscle the stock off the forks and into the vise. DANGEROUS. For me and the equipment.

So if someone knows of a commercially-available option that would allow me to drive up to the machine with the forks facing across the front of it, then swing the load sideways into the machine enclosure and lower it into place, that'd be great!

Usually jib cranes mount on the carriage in place of the forks. I would check with forklift dealers for models available and price. AFAIK there are no commercial side mounted jib cranes.

I have found pallet stackers work great in the shop ,, I have two 2500LBS bigger ones and a small 1000LB one I use for loading fixtures and the 4th axis in the mills ,,, used there under $1000 and I feel safe loading the machines with them ,, trying to load a machine by your self with a fork lift is not fun … Look up Wesco pallet stacker

I know a couple shops big and small that use one of those HF cheapo rolling gantry cranes with an electric hoist over one of their VMC's. They roll it to the rear when not in use and roll it to the front when it is.

I use a WWII bomb hoist on a davit mounted to the end of a 500+ lb tooling cart on casters. Works OK.

Sounds like you are moving relatively small parts, but be careful, forklifts won’t lift much at all over the side without tipping.

I think you’ll have a hard time finding something commercially available, for the above reason, and no forklift ratings over the side.

if you having a rotating jib and, if the mast is not perfectly vertical, gravity will pull it around and you will be fighting it.
I do have a friend with a 120 volt walk behind stacker you power off a cord that might be willing to sell it. Small little thing that lifts decent loads.

What weight are you handling? What about a piece of barn door track hanging from the ceiling if its light enough?

Thanks for the replies!

These pieces are only about 160lbs (A36 plate 2.25"x8"x31"). I'm thinking I might go up to around 500lbs maximum.

I am also considering getting a rolling gantry crane since I could use it for other things as well. I could also just keep shopping around for a used floor mount gantry crane since I could position it to load this and a future machine I've got on the floorplan.

I've thought about a little pallet stacker; I may have to revisit that.

Thanks for the replies!

These pieces are only about 160lbs (A36 plate 2.25"x8"x31"). I'm thinking I might go up to around 500lbs maximum.

I am also considering getting a rolling gantry crane since I could use it for other things as well. I could also just keep shopping around for a used floor mount gantry crane since I could position it to load this and a future machine I've got on the floorplan.

I've thought about a little pallet stacker; I may have to revisit that.

HF has the gantry crane on sale.....

I'm planning on building one of these, I don't remember which member here built this. I have a cart with a skyhook on it now, but the skyhook is only good for about 250 lbs. Maybe you could just bolt this to your forklift?
attachment.php

attachment.php

I wouldn’t want 500 lbs hanging off the side of a small forklift, out very far. If you do go this route, seriously think about mounting some sort of counterweight, attached to the back side of the jib, that swings with it. Doesn’t take much side load at all to turn over a forklift.

I'm planning on building one of these, I don't remember which member here built this. I have a cart with a skyhook on it now, but the skyhook is only good for about 250 lbs. Maybe you could just bolt this to your forklift?
attachment.php

attachment.php
Thats Mine!
Works good, removed one of the counterweights so its easier to move around, still tested very stable. Now I want to get actual jib crane as getting cramped and hard to move the box around where needed.

I've got one of the bomb hoists. Been contemplating making it into a compound rest skyhook for lathe use. It's a bit large, but it was free.

I know a couple shops big and small that use one of those HF cheapo rolling gantry cranes with an electric hoist over one of their VMC's. They roll it to the rear when not in use and roll it to the front when it is.

I use a WWII bomb hoist on a davit mounted to the end of a 500+ lb tooling cart on casters. Works OK.

I've got one of the bomb hoists. Been contemplating making it into a compound rest skyhook for lathe use. It's a bit large, but it was free.

The bomb hoists have a nice feel to them. They really nailed the mechanism inside them. Even at 1000 lbs they are easy to crank up or down. They are a bit heavy complete to lift on and off a toolpost, but you could cut it down or use a lighter weight tube.

I cut up a Hyster forklift jib crane a while back .....been laying in the dirt,and didnt notice the Hyster manuf plate till the jib was cut ......suit a 8 ton fork ,and will lift (legal) 4 ton at extreme reach......Wouldnt like to buy one new ,thats for sure.

Moving around a small shop with a machine (fork lift, bobcat , etc. ) can be hazardous. We have an overhead chain hoist in front of every machine. We just raise it from the delivery truck, have the truck pull out lower it onto a wheeled platform, roll it to the correct machine hook it to the overhead chain hoist and lift it into place. It is easy to move it from machine to machine. One person can do it easily. Chain hoists especially the size you need are cheap , check out e-bay. When not in use the hoists are hanging high and out of the way. If you need to work on a machine the hoists are right there to lift machine parts off. Just another idea.

Back