What's new
What's new

Fosdick radial drill move

Gebhart

Plastic
I am looking a buying a Fosdick 13" column 60" arm machine. The questions I have is about loading and transport. I assume that for transport removing the table, lowering the arm all the way, and keeping the head in toward the column would be best. For loading they would probably use an overhead crane. My big question with that is where would acceptable lifting points be? If any one could give me a rough weight as to what it weighs would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help and insight any one would have.

I would leave the table on it, for balance, run the arm down close to it, and attach it to the table so it cant swing.

I always chain the end of the arm to the base x cross wise,and tighten with a binder or a turnbuckle ....never rely on the column lock ,it will slip....then sling under the base near the column where it should balance,but also secure the lifting sling to the upper part of the column,so it cant flip.....and definitely remove the box table....less weight the better....a five footer is usually about two tons.,so not a lot of weight .

I had to shift a big radial drill,for space I needed to undo the column base bolts and lift the column,arm and head tilted.....Yep,should have taken the head off...anyhoo ,id done it before ,undid all the bolts,then noticed a a crack extending around the base.....the thing wasnt going to balance,it was tipping ...as it tipped the head ran down the arm despite the lock ,and the drill started to tip more ,by some providence the spindle caught in the end of a pipe cutoff,and it stopped .Would have killed me in the confined space ,for sure.....Should have slung it before taking out the base bolts....The reason it didnt balance was a piece had been cut from the column base to allow the box table to be closer in.

I always chain the end of the arm to the base x cross wise,and tighten with a binder or a turnbuckle ....never rely on the column lock ,it will slip....then sling under the base near the column where it should balance,but also secure the lifting sling to the upper part of the column,so it cant flip.....and definitely remove the box table....less weight the better....a five footer is usually about two tons.,so not a lot of weight .

I don't know dick about Fosdick's, but if I had to guess what a 13X60 weighed I would be thinking about 8 tons, not 2.

The 6 ft Carlton I'm looking at is 24K lbs bare.

I've only moved little one ton radials so I have no advice. I know I would be very cautious moving a biggun.

Thank you everyone that has been commenting. All help is appreciated. For an update on where I am at. I am working on paying for it now. When I get it cleaned up and prepared for moving I will give another update and some pictures. That will probably be around Christmas. Also I will probably have move questions about rigging when i get the table off and see what T nuts are holding it down. I will also need to get the brackets made for lifting. Thank you all again for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20190410_241020809_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190410_241020809_HDR.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 303
Thank you everyone that has been commenting. All help is appreciated. For an update on where I am at. I am working on paying for it now. When I get it cleaned up and prepared for moving I will give another update and some pictures. That will probably be around Christmas. Also I will probably have move questions about rigging when i get the table off and see what T nuts are holding it down. I will also need to get the brackets made for lifting. Thank you all again for your help.

Two things FWIW--not-much:

1) I don't have as high a confidence in the integrity of the "Ell" base under the arm as oriented in the photo as in the "main" base. I'd want that arm swung back over the table "sooner, rather than later", Eg; well before moving day.

2) There's not much to be gained, and some "goodness" to be sacrificed in removing the table.

First-off, it probably masses less than first appears, so won't be a huge savings in weight if transported separately.

Of greater importance, its PRESENCE - right where it was designed to be - will be of value in more easily and more effectively blocking and securing the radial arm and head safely for transport.

Unpleasant times tend to accompany any radial run ALL the way to either top OR bottom of its column. Most especially if shock-loaded in transport or handling whilst so handicapped.

Timber is your friend. heavy sections, not light framing sizes. Cut it to fit. HEAVY strap if not chain it in-place. It will become savings in pain and money, not "waste".

2CW

I like that L base. I saw a 7' arm Carlton that had a 1/2 moon base. Thing musta weighed 50K lbs, but you could have a party on the base.

I like that L base. I saw a 7' arm Carlton that had a 1/2 moon base. Thing musta weighed 50K lbs, but you could have a party on the base.

I like "Ell" bases on bigass radials as well. The eight-foot ATW I cudda married, she was so useful, had such.

But there is something not quite "right" about the look of this one.

Not a one-piece casting is my initial impression. "MAYBE" not even OEM?

So I'm inclined to mistrust the joining until checked-out, eyes-on.

The proverbial out-of-balance flour-mill flywheel guru, "tapping with little silver hammer" and knowing WHERE to tap, why, and what to do about what it had spoken to his experienced ear.

There are BOLD riggers. There are OLD riggers. There ARE NO "old, bold" riggers.

A touch of mistrust - even paranoia - now and then has kept me alive, not just solvent and uninjured.

Hey,Im an old bold rigger.......remember I was moving a 6" Town radial I bought ,and guy tried to pass the truck ,blowing his horn......when i stopped ,he had the spindle cover from on top of the gearcase......spindle fell down ,and the casing wasnt secured ,so it fell off.....Another time I bought an Asquith 6 footer OD1,at the Westinghouse Track clearout.......had the run of the shed as I bought as lot of stuff..and took all the slings off the overhead cranes......the demolishers had reckoned on scoring them ,but were a bit too slow.

Hey,Im an old bold rigger.......remember I was moving a 6" Town radial I bought ,and guy tried to pass the truck ,blowing his horn......when i stopped ,he had the spindle cover from on top of the gearcase......spindle fell down ,and the casing wasnt secured ,so it fell off.....Another time I bought an Asquith 6 footer OD1,at the Westinghouse Track clearout.......had the run of the shed as I bought as lot of stuff..and took all the slings off the overhead cranes......the demolishers had reckoned on scoring them ,but were a bit too slow.

Nothing old, bold, nor especially "rigger'ish" about any of that.

Just yer average self-reliant Australian innovator applying his reg'lar enterprising craft.

Real pro would even carry away the tire marks in the dirt, recycle and sell-on those as well.

Always some poor lad ain't got dirt enuf to shop-fab his own tire-prints to make it appear he's important enuf to have had recent visitors.

I have a very old 3 foot arm fosdick and Im sure its over 2 tons. Pretty sure that 5 foot one would be substantially more yet.

Good point about faking visitors. I believe Nathan's original hot dog stand planted shills, fake doctors eating lunch to entice passerbys to stop and spend.

"Nathan's Famous" are a "Least-Coast" favorite, not just Nova Yawk. But WTH? It really is more marketing than meat.

While they are by no means the worst of wurst, neither are they any match for what the Pennsylvania "Deutsch" make not that far way, nor Italians, Northern especially, nor other one-time Northern Europeans out in the upper midwest.

For that matter, the Chinese make some seriously good wurst!

I recall a discussion with the Ex-wife over my insistence she buy Kosher all-beef franks. She said "But this cheaper brand is ALSO 'all beef'."

Sure I sez, but "Kosher" also dictates from what PARTS of the Beef is legal.

The ones YOU picked are "all beef" alright. Beef assholes, belly-buttons, guts, udders, vaginas, dicks, and other "beef" by-products. Just not pork guts, weasel, squirrel, or skunk.

Or so we hope.

Yah don't actually have to be Jewish to appreciate the difference the ingredients starting-point can make!

"Chicken" franks? Industrially pressure-cooked guts and feathers, even?

Avocado, thanks. Harder to fake, if nothing else!

:D

The "Ell" to me looks to be a factory accessory. Looks to similar to the base to be made but will look into it more. I think there are 2 bolts on the end into the floor. There are 4 bolts that bolt into the side of the base. The T slots are all packed full of junk that is where I am going to start. Will probably pull the table and the "Ell" off just to help with moving. I have some 6x6 material that I was going to use for cribbing for the arm.

Back