Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    OK, so now what'chew gunna doo with it?
    (use wise)

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    It's not everyday that I buy a machine too big to fit inside my building, but when I do, I pour a pad for it to sit on and build another building over it.

That drill makes his garage look pretty small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just sayin' that the apps for those machines are significantly less these days.
    Nice to just have around - fer sure!
    Just not sure what I'd doo with it anymore.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

3. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a little 3' arm one and I forgot I have it on more than one occasion. Quick change tooling and all the bells and whistles ready to go, but I rarely turn it on. I think I've spent more time oiling the column and wiping it down to keep it in good shape than I have using it. Biggest job I ever used it for was drilling and tapping the ends on a pickup load of larger sized electric motor armatures. That was probably only 4 hours of work.

I do like that mine is light enough I can just fork it close to where I need it. Mine's got a twist lock plug on it so I could prolly take it outside if I really needed to.

Big local auction of an old school heavy machine shop had one of those 1920's era all angle type radials. The shop would crane that thing up onto big stuff they were working on (shop had rail spur going through it) and weld it in place. Drill or bore whatever then scarf off the welds and move onto the next hole. Guess that's whatcha do when the holes get too big for the mag drill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You've got a very nice drill there. That machine is worth going to the trouble you took to get the lift rigged correctly. I would have had the main lift shorter going into the crane hook so the balancing lift going to the column would be at about 45 degrees but apart from that everything you've done is by the book.

Your lifting bracketry is almost identical to the ones I used. I don't know about your tee nuts but I used full length shop made tee nuts, ie tee nuts as long as the lifting brackets. The more lifting area on the tee nuts the better.

Well done, Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post

I do like that mine is light enough I can just fork it close to where I need it. Mine's got a twist lock plug on it so I could prolly take it outside if I really needed to.

Big local auction of an old school heavy machine shop had one of those 1920's era all angle type radials. The shop would crane that thing up onto big stuff they were working on (shop had rail spur going through it) and weld it in place. Drill or bore whatever then scarf off the welds and move onto the next hole. Guess that's whatcha do when the holes get too big for the mag drill.

Post about building one of two 408's that I bought:

Excello ?

Quote Originally Posted by Walt @ SGS Inc. View Post
    ..................... a 408 Excello is one big big machine. I had to do some machining on the spindle housing, we just set a bridgeport on the table and had at it. We had a bunch of Xs abd Ys and Zs along with two B axies if you counted the Excello Table (B) and we could swing the ram of the Bridgeport as we needed.
    Walt..

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

7. Likes Garwood liked this post