What's new
What's new

Freight companies, add on fees for anything they can think of

laminar-flow

Stainless
Several years ago I shipped a pallet via YRC to a medical facility and after delivery the shipping company tried to add a fee for "limited access deliver". My customer said it was a normal delivery and nothing was different than their usual shipments. After fussing about it they removed it.

Last month I had YRC deliver something to me but dropped off at a friends business to avoid the truck having to go 3 miles out of the way to my house outside of town. I requested a notify before delivery so I could meet the truck at my friends business just to avoid my friend being bothered. They did not call as requested, but a few days ago I still received an additional charge of $15.00 for the phone call (that never happened). I guess I'll burn up an hour Monday sorting this one out.

Next, look for a $5.00 charge if you want the driver to smile upon delivery.

Heads up everyone...

Having problems now getting reasonable shipping quotes on some routes allegedly due to shortage of drivers. Talked with some midlevel people in the business. Their take- no lack of drivers. Big lack of companies willing to pay a reasonable amount for a driver. Not a surprise, we’re getting what we deserve with shipping problems for not paying a living wage. Maybe that’s my fault for wanting good service at a cheap rate.

Find it interesting that a smaller western Canadian trucking company is doing fine charging a bit more and keeping their drivers longer term.

That should get flamers heated up….. ;-)

L7

The real issue is that most companies - trucking included - are swamped with inexperience, over-regulation, over-safety, and good old greed. They make up for those deficiencies by raising prices and tacking on fees. Keep in mind...someone, someplace, earned (EARNED!) a big bonus by thinking of and implementing those fees.

That said, the term 'living wage' is inherently flawed. It's almost - but not quite- as bad as words such as 'undocumented', 'disenfranchised', and 'decriminalized'. All disease-ridden words invented as a way of enticing the listener to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. The implication that any and all jobs must pay enough that the person doing them can afford a split level 3-2, a Tahoe with Nav, health care, and plenty of beer and cigs is both faulty and, well, stupid.

YRC is the worst for fees and assorted nonsense. I wont ship with them. Even if the buyer arranges. If Yellow backs up to the dock I tell them to leave.

I cant figure out how Giving a driver $5 an hour more ($5x12=60, double for overhead $120) means they went up $200 on my pallet. Truck is full of shipments. People at the top are making all the profit and using the driver as an excuse. But remember, always blame the little guy. Always kick down.

Is It regulation greed incompetence unwilling to cooperate??? I do not know
But hearing prices for shipping on this forum in the US it must be some of them
In Europe prices are half or less as of these in the US I estimate
Drivers earn a good wage Trucks are top notch Service is excellent Mandatory insureance acc. CMR for international transport at a max of €10/kg
So it is possible

Peter

The first shipment with the "limited access delivery" was in late 2019 so the current shortage does not apply. This is one of the new tactics in the new "business model". Think airlines and all the add on fees for baggage, exit seats, etc. Will there be a credit card slot by the toilet next? Don't think that has not already been mentioned in meetings.

There has also been more of MBA's getting out of college, starting a company that buys up companies so they can sit in an office and ride the boat without paddling. Happened to my mom's assisted living home and my anodizer. Will companies like Xometry start buying up machine shops?

Peter this is because in Europe people are more important than money. In the US NOTHING is more important than money.

Same but different; the US invented the rental car business, but I'd ten times rather rent a car in Europe. The service is better, cars are newer and costs are lower.

jack vines

You guys are pretty much nuts when it comes to Europe. Does a truck driver earn a great living? Perhaps. He also lives in a hovel (compared to the USA), is heavily taxed, pays way more for practically every food and service, and enjoys a lower standard of living. He also (most likely) has not had to compete for his job with a bunch of illegal immigrants, or even legal immigrants. Just look at the restrictive immigration laws that protect him.

Much as NYC and California are the breeding grounds of disease in the USA, Europe is the original center of disease for the entire globe. In Cali and NYC and Paris...things are better....right up to the point they turn really bad.

You're kidding yourselves if you think any of it is sustainable. It's all party today, pay the devil tomorrow.

You guys are pretty much nuts when it comes to Europe. Does a truck driver earn a great living? Perhaps. He also lives in a hovel (compared to the USA), is heavily taxed, pays way more for practically every food and service, and enjoys a lower standard of living. He also (most likely) has not had to compete for his job with a bunch of illegal immigrants, or even legal immigrants. Just look at the restrictive immigration laws that protect him.

Much as NYC and California are the breeding grounds of disease in the USA, Europe is the original center of disease for the entire globe. In Cali and NYC and Paris...things are better....right up to the point they turn really bad.

You're kidding yourselves if you think any of it is sustainable. It's all party today, pay the devil tomorrow.

Now there writes the man whose world experience is limited to maybe 100 miles from his place of birth.

PDW

Nice try, but an abject failure. Not to mention, a person could live 1 mile from his place of birth and that doesn't affect the facts.

YRC is the worst for fees and assorted nonsense. I wont ship with them. Even if the buyer arranges. If Yellow backs up to the dock I tell them to leave.

Several years ago I shipped a pallet via YRC

Last month I had YRC deliver something to me

Right there is the problem - YRC.I was a Never Yellow-er back when it was Yellow Freight. I let someone talk me into trying YRC about 4-5 years ago. Got fucked again, for $350 this time.

Nice try, but an abject failure. Not to mention, a person could live 1 mile from his place of birth and that doesn't affect the facts.

This "fact" you're assuring us of being that "Europe is the original center of disease for the entire globe . . ."?

PDW's guesstimate seems to be that you've never lived or even been to Europe.

Personally, I have no idea of what this disease you imagine affects the entire globe and originally came from Europe.

Western civilization? Yellow Freight?

I got dinged on a shipment once with "limited access delivery" charges a few days later too. Had a couple palletized heat treat furnaces delivered to my buddy's shop since he has a business and a forklift. He said the truck pulled up, the guy came in and he had the shipment off the truck and in the building with the forklift in under two minutes, and the driver was gone. Truck never even pulled into the parking lot, just sat on the side of the road for five minutes, so the driver didn't even have to turn around. More BS.

My favorite is waiting an additional day before my shipment is transferred to a smaller, lift gate equipped truck and then having to pay for all of it… the additional day before my shipment lands AND whatever the lift gate fee is.

Especially when my facility has both docks and forklifts and I’ve made that clear prior to finalizing shipping.

Typically the freight company’s response is: “well you unloaded your shipment from our lift gate equipped truck, didn’t you?”

Indeed I did, I unloaded my shipment with a forklift, or hand truck at my dock off the truck you sent me. YOU choosing to transfer my shipment to a gate equipped truck already cost me a day, am I supposed to send the truck with a gate back now?!?

Central transport will no longer get my business if I have any other option after playing that game once too many times.

Be safe

Jeremy

Boy, either things have changed a lot in the past ten years or there are some big differences in how things work.

The last company where I worked did a lot of shipping. The out-going stuff was mostly small packages but there were some pallets and other heavy stuff too. In-coming was a mix. But we had the major and some minor shipping companies competing for our business. And the rates were always very good. At least three of them had their computers, software, and scales in our shipping department. My employer had multiple docks and a forklift for easy unloading. But most of the small stuff came in through a side door. They even had both UPS and FedEx outdoor drop boxes on the premises.

I was even able to take advantage of this for personal and for my own business shipments, which were only occasional. I got their discounts on every shipment that I made.

Perhaps the thing here is volume? I have to wonder if groups of shops could get together and negotiate for better prices and terms. They wouldn't even need to be in the same area or city. Just negotiate as a group.

"Personally, I have no idea of what this disease you imagine affects the entire globe and originally came from Europe. "

I get weary of having to spell things out for adults....but here we go. The disease I speak of is not a physical ailment, but rather decay in whatever form it happens to take. For example, people living in a society that continually declines into fewer and fewer freedoms each year, and more restrictions and laws and taxes. That disease. I've spent plenty of time in Europe. Even dining at a restaurant - the average European eats out far less often than the average American. I personally consider that a good thing, but regardless - it's not a good thing when you can't afford to eat out. It's not a good thing when your vehicle is wicked expensive and so are the fees to register it. It's not a good thing when you walk out of a bank having just signed a 100 year mortgage. It goes on and on. Look at the worst the USA has to offer and it inevitably originates on the East and West coasts. The disease centers of the USA. Stupid shit starts there, and works its way through the rest of the country.

"Personally, I have no idea of what this disease you imagine affects the entire globe and originally came from Europe. "

I get weary of having to spell things out for adults....but here we go. The disease I speak of is not a physical ailment, but rather decay in whatever form it happens to take. For example, people living in a society that continually declines into fewer and fewer freedoms each year, and more restrictions and laws and taxes. That disease. I've spent plenty of time in Europe. Even dining at a restaurant - the average European eats out far less often than the average American. I personally consider that a good thing, but regardless - it's not a good thing when you can't afford to eat out. It's not a good thing when your vehicle is wicked expensive and so are the fees to register it. It's not a good thing when you walk out of a bank having just signed a 100 year mortgage. It goes on and on. Look at the worst the USA has to offer and it inevitably originates on the East and West coasts. The disease centers of the USA. Stupid shit starts there, and works its way through the rest of the country.

But we have cheaper transport :stirthepot:

Back