UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Getting a lathe off a pallet

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    Well, that's fine, thermite. But I was asking about experience with the leveling/stabilizing casters that you explicitly didn't like, not the Chinese wheelbarrow rig that you do. (And that's not a knock on Chinese wheelbarrows. The center-placed wheels are much more sensible that a single nose wheel.)

There's an infinite number of lumber carts with non-swivel center casters with either swivel or shorter (so both ends can't be on ground at same time) at the ends, and yes, I do know how they work, and they work nicely. I made something similar for shoving the ram off my Van Norman around the shop during a rebuild. But not immediately useful on a short "wheel base" machinery base where you want to just bolt casters into the existing foot/mount holes in the casting.
    I still think those casters might work. I’d just want a non swivel model at one end maybe.

I do think the idea of center/balance point casters is an interesting idea as well but would definitely require some fabrication on this particular machine which I’d prefer not to do.

After getting it down on the plywood blocks as I posted in my last picture, the final trick was getting it moved to where I wanted it. I had a 4400 lb pallet jack that I planned to use. It grunted pretty good under the load and worried me a bit because it was “tippy” even though I had it under the balance point. As I pondered what to do I realized I had some 1000 lb furniture dollies. While not heavy duty enough to take the entire load I was able to put one under each end and lower the pallet jack enough that they were just taking a very light load. That made it more than stable enough to move into position with the pallet jack.

Has anyone else tried the swiveling casters that I linked to? Or something like them? They come in pretty heavy duty models. I believe I saw models that supported up to 4000 lbs per caster. The only downside I see to them is that they generally raise the machine up a good bit. That could be good or bad depending on the machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ll also note that I called several local machinery moving companies. They all had a minimum charge of about $1,500 just to show up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TravisR100 View Post
    I still think those casters might work. I’d just want a non swivel model at one end maybe.

I do think the idea of center/balance point casters is an interesting idea as well but would definitely require some fabrication on this particular machine which I’d prefer not to do.

After getting it down on the plywood blocks as I posted in my last picture, the final trick was getting it moved to where I wanted it. I had a 4400 lb pallet jack that I planned to use. It grunted pretty good under the load and worried me a bit because it was “tippy” even though I had it under the balance point. As I pondered what to do I realized I had some 1000 lb furniture dollies. While not heavy duty enough to take the entire load I was able to put one under each end and lower the pallet jack enough that they were just taking a very light load. That made it more than stable enough to move into position with the pallet jack.

Has anyone else tried the swiveling casters that I linked to? Or something like them? They come in pretty heavy duty models. I believe I saw models that supported up to 4000 lbs per caster. The only downside I see to them is that they generally raise the machine up a good bit. That could be good or bad depending on the machine.

Covered about all I have to share, arredy.

Just buy a set of four and try them.

Keep in mind that casters fail when the entire weight gets shifted to ONE of the team briefly AND the load is already in motion. Which happens OFTEN, given the way casters work or react to so much as a stray nut, lockwasher, or even tiny chunk of gravel on the deck. If the load is 4,000 Avoir, I'd want AT LEAST that rating, every caster, even if there were more than four.

My prediction is that you will "Real Soon, NOW" seek to find some better use for them. The good news is you almost certainly WILL find that "better use", so the risk of outright waste is negligible.

Meanwhile, back at the lathe, fixed mounts are probably all you need, so long as you still have the pallet-jack.

Otherwise, where moving it about as one does motor and drive work, general repairs, and painting;

Low-profile, steel rollers, 3,300 lb each, and I am good with the rather large number of them I have come to depend on, as I am NOT doing a rigging job every other day as would justify Hilman prices, anyway:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3818_200673818

Higher profile, urethane rollers similar to a pallet jack, and have built-in clips fore, aft, and side so they can be dropped in place, no fasteners needed to form a "magic carpet" that even manages my lumpy outdoor driveway when knitted into about eight units as two groups of four:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9288_200679288

I also have Vestil ones with even higher (10,000 lb) ratings.

Not much gain to the plain ones over the Northerns, but this puppy, in the next size up for the 10,000 lb rating, is handy as hell, I just wish it was POWERED like an aircraft nosewheel "tug":

https://www.amazon.com/Vestil-SSKT-3.../dp/B0052PUO54

Naturally, I always wait until they have either a sale price -or at least free shipping. The Northerns are heavy!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is what I use to move a 15,000 lb airplane. Maybe I need to come with a version for machinery moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is what I use to move a 15,000 lb airplane. Maybe I need to come with a version for machinery moving.
    Already in the market. Germans did it, IIRC. Price would pay for a decent used four-hole aircraft.

That's on PM, one of Milacron's own thread excursions IIRC. As a machinery dealer, he's into some interesting variants of MHE found to be handy.

We used an extraordinarily short-coupled pallet jack he had to turn the HBX-360 lathe 90-degrees within the confines of the Penske box truck AFTER placing it with his forklift. Longitudinal positioning I simply used ... the Cornbinder's airbrakes!

UNdoing that pivot to turn it back at my unload end had to be executed with pull strap, skates, jacks, wedges, and pry bars the Old Skewl way, Sore tedious, that, as I didn't have level ground with a long enough run to place the box truck.

PM also has a few abortive attempts at DIY with Gilmer belt tracks, and another few that actually worked.

ISTR one WAS adapted from a lighter aircraft nosewheel ramp tug?

RC99, Australia, moving a bedway grinder, was it? Memory is hazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have them under my welding table. They work fine for that application. I move my welding table quite a bit and it doesn't have to be perfectly level most of the time.

I don't think I'd use them under a lathe. The aforementioned castering is less than ideal and there is no way to lock in the height of the leveling feet. I'd think they might lose adjustment over time with vibration.

Sunnex makes some nice leveling feet that I have under my mill that are much more stable. No casters but unless you are going to be moving the lathe regularly I'd consider that an advantage.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone else tried the swiveling casters that I linked to? .... The only downside I see to them is that they generally raise the machine up a good bit. That could be good or bad depending on the machine.
    Also depends on if you jockey racehorses or play basketball.

8. Likes sfriedberg liked this post