What's new
What's new

Grab Hook vs. Shortening Clutch

DanielG

Stainless
A grab hook and a shortening clutch seem to accomplish the same thing with the same working load limit. I've always used grab hooks for shortening chain, but that was just what the shop had.

Is there an advantage to one or the other? The symmetric design of the shortening clutch looks like it would be easier.

A grab hook and a shortening clutch seem to accomplish the same thing with the same working load limit. I've always used grab hooks for shortening chain, but that was just what the shop had.

Is there an advantage to one or the other? The symmetric design of the shortening clutch looks like it would be easier.

Pix please.

Hooks have now got little nibs out the sides ,claimed to develop the same capacity of clutches.......I have clutches on slings Ive made up from bits,but have never trusted anyone else to hook up with clutches ,due to the possibility of getting them upside down....Had a nasty incident when a cadet engineer couldnt understand how they worked ,and a shipping container ended up hanging by one sling.......Yep ,cadet engineers ....millenials and nerds.

Hooks have now got little nibs out the sides ,claimed to develop the same capacity of clutches.......I have clutches on slings Ive made up from bits,but have never trusted anyone else to hook up with clutches ,due to the possibility of getting them upside down....Had a nasty incident when a cadet engineer couldnt understand how they worked ,and a shipping container ended up hanging by one sling.......Yep ,cadet engineers ....millenials and nerds.

How do you hook up the clutch upside down?

I will always prefer a sling with a clutch. It just gives you one more option. Sometimes it just doesn't work to make a larger loop with the chain to get it the right length.

Getting the chain in the shortener the wrong way around is easily done in the heat of the moment. Especially if it’s a 4 leg chain sling and chains are hanging down almost vertically. I always double checked once I’d set the chain in the shortener.

Regards Tyrone.

I busted a chain hook yesterday......big bang ,thought something went on the crane.....the helper I got now doesnt take much notice,and uses the small load securing chain instead of the 3/8 hercalloy ,which is a lot heavier......Anyway ,im lucky to have help ,hes doing it for a few rusty bits that take his fancy....he's even keen on the old Racine Oilcut ,he took it home and says its not got any rust in the gears ,and will have it going .....more than I ever managed....The old crane is playing up ,combination of oil leaking onto the bands and the rain,it s just got to last a few more loads now ,and its all over.

Lots of pretty stuff in the Crosby catalogue......very costly too,no doubt......Im focussed ,if you could call it that ,of using what I already have ,and not spending a motza on fancy hooks and tackle etc.....even wire rope costs a fortune now,lucky I have plenty laying about....Ive found for salvaging scrap ,a length of chain with a shortening hook either end is very handy...the hooks go through small spaces ,and youve got a free running sling that slips thru the crane hook to find its own sweet spot,as the lift starts..... Wet today ,so an excuse to have a day off from the yard cleanup.....unfortunately ,light rain ,and its floating up all the oil Ive tipped out of machines.....need a good storm like Monday to wash all the evidence away.

I made a couple of these on the plasma table for 5/16" chain.
Have not used them as of yet.

Attachments

• chainbridle.jpg
    chainbridle.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 35
  • chainshortener.jpg
    chainshortener.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 34
I’ve got a commercially made chain shortener like digger’s left picture for 7/32” chain. Angle is slightly more acute on mine. Quick to adjust and works well. Not at my shop now- seem to recall limited to 2000 lb, and less the wider the angle.

L7

Just looked- 2100 lb straight pull on the tag.

Last edited:

Back