What's new
What's new

Grove articulated boom lift - operation ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Bought a 2000 Grove AMZ39NE like below photo. Everything works fine except the actual traction. When I hit the forward or reverse lever, the warning beeps start but nothing happens....wheels don't budge an inch.

Never operated one of these before and didn't get a manual with it, so just wondering if there is some "secret" to getting the traction going that I'm not aware of. There is a limit switch for when the boom is down all the way, so I thought maybe that had to be engaged but even when it is, still no go.

Could be something wrong with the machine, but just wondering if anyone knows a secret proceedure on the traction of these things. On a scissors lift for example, you have a switch on the traction lever you must engage first. On some you pull up on the lever before pushing it forward or reverse. But on this machine this is no provision for either of those...just a lever for "go" with rocker button on top for turning. There is a foot pedal to "energize" the whole system of course.

Grove%20AMZ39Ne%20elec%2033ft32.jpg

Btw, if anyone is wondering why this sort of "compact" manlift is desirable over say a scissor lift for inside use, it's because you can lift up and over machines that might be in the way otherwise. Sometimes a light you want to change will be right above a 20,000 lb 9 x 10 footprint machine and you just can't position the scissor lift close enough due to the obstructions. But with this puppy you can be way beyond your target and still reach it with ease. The downside is that the machine itself takes up more space in the shop.

I have a Marklift so not the same machine, but here's what usually is the cause on the Marklift. There is a duplicate set of controls for raising, lowering, and rotating. One set in the basket and one set on the ground part of the machine. The traction will only work if the control is switched to the basket. I guess they don't want you to stand along side the machine and drive around. You must drive from the basket. When in the basket your foot has to be on a pedal, sort of a dead mans switch. Other than that I don't know, perhaps mechanical failure.

adh, yes the Grove has duplicate controls also. There is a keyswitch for selecting body or basket controls, and of course I had the key on "platform control" while trying to get the traction to work, as there are no traction controls on the body...only boom movement controls there.

However it just occured to me it is curious there are two different key turn locations for basket/platform controls, so I wonder if one of the key positions allows only boom controls in the basket and another key position allows for traction as well ?

As you can see from the diagram, if this is so, there is certainly no hint of it via the symbols.

grove1.jpg

Seems like this has happened on the Marklift and the solution was more subtle, but maybe it is obvious as you say. That key switch on the Grove looks a little strange, either right or left gets you platform control and for ground you have to go one more notch to the right? Why would they do that? Why not left platform, right gound? In your first post you speculate that maybe the boom has to be down all the way but that is certainly not the case with the Marklift. You can drive around while up in the air at any angle. If you had to put the boom down everytime you wanted to move over a foot it would be a much less useful machine. Perhaps the incline sensor thinks you are on a hill and won't let it move.

Generally, them don't go into High when the boom isn't fully retracted, they go slow as hell, Turtle speed. But, they DO go.

Look on the right side of the boom near the bucket for a switch to take control, or even IN the bucket.

That panel looks a hell of a lot cleaner than any I have ever been up in. The one in the bucket was near indecipherable.

You DO have a Deadman's footpedal, no? Does IT work?

Cheers,

George

That key switch on the Grove looks a little strange, either right or left gets you platform control and for ground you have to go one more notch to the right? Why would they do that? Why not left platform, right gound?
I was wondering on that too.
Maybeee...
The left turn gives control *only* from bucket.
Right turn (first slot) gives control from *both* bucket and ground platform
Extreme Right turn gives control *only* from ground platform.
??

Edit
Wait nevermind
Just thought of something else that makes far more sense
The right turn option is to go from bucket control straight to platform control without going through the 'OFF' slot thereby not having to switch machine off.

D.

Sorry to suggest this to a generally highly experienced plant operator such as your self, however you never know etc..

Have you tried increasing the engine speed before trying to move the wheels, might need more revs to overcome clutch slip?

Just an idea, please don't take it the wrong way!

Al

Al, it's electric.

That panel looks a hell of a lot cleaner than any I have ever been up in. The one in the bucket was near indecipherable.
Can you see the numbers on the hour meter ? ;)

How about a boom picture of setting like you have with also one of the set at the machine. I hate these things every time I go to use one they are set up just differnact enought so that you can go mad finding the right combo to work it.
David/toledo

Edit
Wait nevermind
Just thought of something else that makes far more sense
The right turn option is to go from bucket control straight to platform control without going through the 'OFF' slot thereby not having to switch machine off.
True but being electric why would that matter ? To add to the mystery I should point out that the "ground" key position is a momentary switch position...i.e. you have to hold the key there while operating the other toggle switches for functions. So it's not like someone could "accidentially" put it on "ground" and leave it there, cuz you can't !

I could only find a spec brochure here that gives vague mention of "microcontroller based proprietary control" system. That's manufacturer doublespeak for "we ain't telling."

From the same site, Manitowoc and Grove Worldwide for manlifts,

Greg Poole Equipment Co with a Charleston SC location and a telephone of(843) 747-8191 may be able to help.

That's a pretty impressive little unit there, a lot more reach than it first appears. And the ability to travel through standard door height is pretty nice.

Not much help, but it may point you in the right direction if you haven't figured it out already.

Thanks Dirt, fascinating to see a brochure on it at least. The cover photo is a good example of how, unlike a scissor lift (or forklift with maintenance platform), you can reach over major obstructions in a plant when need be.

Some lifts have a tilt sensor that will not allow the machine to move if it is on a severe slope to prevent roll-over. If you can find id check to see if it is loose or stuck leaning to one side. Also some platforms will have an overide button for the drive controls on the basket. Last idea is to rotate the platform 180 and see if that works. There should be colored arrows on the machine and the basket controls so you know what direction the basket will move. I have used a ton of theese and they all have their little quirks. Can you post a pic of the basket controls if none of thees ideas work.

Oh one other thing the black case in the basket should have the manual in it.
Falls into the "well d'uh" department...first place I looked before I even bought the thing.

Just had to state the obvious, hardest place to find anything is right in front of you. Any luck so far?

Re tilt sensor, unlikely as machine is on dead level concrete and I know the sensor works as it started buzzing when I previously picked up the whole shebang with my 15,500 lb forklift and tilted back the mast.

Re rotating body 180 degrees, seeing as it is meant to travel with body at any radial position, why would that help ?

Re luck, didn't go to the shop today, maybe tomorrow if Easter Bunny allows.

Back