Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"I can hear contactors in the chassis click into engagement "

D: you neglected to mention this in your original post. This seems to be key information as it means that what you are trying to do is not interlocked out. If the contactor is closing then all the tilt sensor etc BS can be ignored for now. Problem must be in the motor drive circuit.

coz: please STFU

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Coz
    I rented a new crew-cab chevy truck and drove for 13 hours, WITHOUT reading the manual.
    You just needed an excuse to start a fight and you admit it.On top of that you say D is 'amazing' to judge you, the height of incredulity. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

D: you neglected to mention this in your original post.
    In the orignal post I wasn't aware the contactors were engaging. Was only after I removed the cover to the electrical box and jammed a wedge in the footpedal, plus tied a long string to the joystick in the basket so I could engage it and look/listen in the electrical box close up, that I was aware of this.

Anyway, seems to be something up with the Sevcon controller, so will call tomorrow to see if I can get some sort of shop manual on the thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And I thought I was the only one that defeated OSHA safety devices to troubleshoot. Fortunately my younger daughter has grown fond of the shop and likes to help dad out with such things.
    Good Luck finding the gremlin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW, below is photo inside electrical box. From what I gather, the Sevcon MOS90 unit (lower left) controls traction and hydraulic pump motor. The card/module in front of the Sevcon is also Sevcon product and looks suspect in that some high heat and break in the green potted square. Not sure what that card does yet.

Uppper left is labeled DC to DC...looks like a power supply for the Sevcon MOS90...apparently DC/DC is fine since all Sevco controlled hydraulic functions work fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you try swapping the small grey relays on the board to see if one of them may be the problem? I'm assuming that they are plug-in relays, and all the same relay.
    lg
    no neat sig line

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interestingly, my JLG scissor lift uses the exact same Sevcon unit, but the JLG one has this helpful troubleshooting guide sticker. I remember seeing a flashing light when I engaged the traction joystick and thinking what the heck is that light flashing for. Well, now I know and will go back and count the flashes next time !

Frustrating the JLG does not have the same Sevcon module tacked on the front however as it sure would be nice to do a switcheroo on those for test purposes.

Did you try swapping the small grey relays on the board to see if one of them may be the problem? I'm assuming that they are plug-in relays, and all the same relay.
    I used to to that on all my CNC machines when I couldn't figure out a problem. I'll bet I've unplugged and switched around two thousand relays in the past 8 years. And in all that, a problematic relay was *never* the problem. In fact I don't recall a bad relay in my entire life. So, no, not messed with the relays as a bad one is so rare apparently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DT, one thing I see in the photo above is that the vertically-mounted terminal strip has corrosion on the tops of the screw heads.

Could possibly be a bad connection there...possibly remove each, wire brush or lightly sand and then reinstall.

Other than that, might flex the harnesses slightly in case of a broken wire or intermittent contact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sevcon Controllers are being used in a few of the forklifts and they have had their share of problems. Flight Systems may be able to help you with Parts or info? PS The forklift Div.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"potted green module"

There is a special place in hell reserved....

Grrrrr. I'd take those engineers and pot *them*
    in potting compound.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JR, yep...hate those pot heads ! Below is closeup showing one curiosity...note the adjustable resistor poking out the left side. Do you think they would have made it that way ? You can't tell it in the photo but the whole board is warped and strange looking...potting is pulling away from the board and cracked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DT,

May we have a little history on this machine? I am guessing this machine was bought at auction? Have you had any luck contacting the previous owner?

I saw a similar machine sold in W-S last year and all that was said prior to the sale was that "it wouldn't run". Late model machine too.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Richie Bros auction. Was from NationsRent inventory. Probably in the Atlanta area. That's all I know.

A curiosity because if the hour meter is correct, unless NationsRent rented this thing to a Hollywood studio at outrageous fees, they lost their butt on this one.

The hour meter does work and judging from matching caulking around inside compared to other gages and switches, appears to be original. Also the tires appear brand new and other details indicate strong possiblity the hourmeter is on the money.

Keep in mind you haven't yet seen a picture of it, as my original picture was of a sister lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At this point of course I would call the mfr.
    and request a full electrical schematic.

The responses then will range from:

1) "a *what*? What are you looking for, some
    kind of blueprint?"

2) gales of laughter, followed by dial tone.

3) the comments "they won't give us those. Good
    luck."

4) in rare circumstances, the offer to fax the
    diagrams in question, which then come through
    at about three dot per inch resolution and
    missing critical portions of the original
    page regions.

Basically one of the best ways to deal with this
    is to try to get *deep* inside their repair
    organization, actually talking to a bench tech.
    Then you might get a chance to obtain schematics.

Examples include the new feed electronics for
    the HLVH, diagrams for Slo-Syns stepper motor
    driver electronics, etc etc etc.

They pot that stuff for a reason and the
    term "new part" on the label is a bad omen.
    The trimpot barely visible (can't quite tell
    if it's supposed to be out there, or if they
    chipped the potting out to make it so) may or
    may not be a true user adjustment.

At this point even a functional block diagram
    of the the motor drive electrics would be a
    benefit.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They pot that stuff for a reason and the
    term "new part" on the label is a bad omen.
    I thought so too at first but Sevcon has a seperate rebuild facility and website and I think they only put "new part" on there to distinguish between totally new boards/modules and rebuilt boards/modules. The date on it is 1999 and seeing as the Grove is 2000 it is almost certainly the original module.

Still inquiring about service manual, not heard back yet. Killer is I attended auction of forklift dealer bankrupcty about 3 months ago and bought nearly the entire manual collection....literally a thousand service and parts manuals or more.

Got overwhelmed with manuals and left many there for the trashman, one's I never imagined needing or having any eBay potential.

Guess what I left ? :mad:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My auction rule is take it all and sort it later !

Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

D., any updates on this bug hunt?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sevcon unit flash code is 5...which means "motor neither low nor high...open circuit"

I can't find any evidence of an "open circuit" in the motor related wiring. I wonder if that could mean "open circuit" within the Sevcon unit itself or it always indicates a problem outside the Sevcon unit ?

Grove service manual is $250...and that doesn't even include the wiring schematics...which are another $50 ! Salt in the wound being it takes 7 days just to print them :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another update, talked with Sevcon tech and the fault is usually due to outside the Sevcon unit issues. He is emailing a "generic" wiring diagram of a typical traction system.

Turns out that potted board in front of the Sevcon unit is tachometer related and unlikely to be the source of the trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know this may be one of those times where you call the service guy and have him take a look at it, especially with the price of those service manuals. They usually know exactly what to look for for a given problem and its usually the quickest fix.