What's new
What's new

Hauling 2004 Hass Mini Mill

lawman1331

Aluminum
Not sure if this is the right spot to ask this but hope someone can help. I just bought a 2004 Haas Mini Mill and need to haul it home. About 90 miles. Not real far. I have been searching on line and found the weight to be about 3400 lbs. I haven't been able to find anything online about the proper way to strap it down for hauling. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with moving one of these. Mainly I don't want to strap down on something that I shouldn't have.
Thanks
Mike

A couple of 8' long 6x6 timbers from Home Depot (Menards for you)
Would go along way if you can lag bolt them underneath.

Hauled a VF0 recently. I think it was supposed to be 4500 lbs? sure didn't feel like it. Felt like an empty trailer.

I put one heavy chain through the column where the locking bar goes and a couple big straps for looks, but really just one chain. And I had the machine wedged against wood in the front.

Probably could have hauled it in the bed.

Main thing is dont tailgate anyone ,and let em cut in in front of you if they must.....having to brake is the biggest risk of throwing a machine,second is going over gutters ,diagonally ...machine is thrown side to side ,so take it real slow.

Thanks guys for the info. Ive hauled a Bridgeport and larger lathe with no problems. The mini mill has a lot of sheet metal just dont want to strap down on the wrong place.
Mike

as9100d
thanks for that info. I didn't know that. Might have to get chain and binders. I have copious amounts of 4" wide ratchet straps I was planning on using. Again thanks everybody for the replies.
Mike

I would use 4 separate chains for backup but really you only need 2. I use zipties to hold the binders closed on bumps and 3/8" chain is more than enough.

Do you have a harborfreight near you?

ooh looky here, don't think we ever discussed this trailer before:
pallet carriers, pro pallet

Huh...........won't haul a mini mill, but it would be a handy unit for rental companies...............seein' knuckleheads at the local home improvement store loading 2-3k lbs of paver's or sacks of quickcrete in the back of a mini van or a silly little suv, this would be convenient..............but most knuckleheads wouldn't pay to rent one..........................

Huh...........won't haul a mini mill, but it would be a handy unit for rental companies...............seein' knuckleheads at the local home improvement store loading 2-3k lbs of paver's or sacks of quickcrete in the back of a mini van or a silly little suv, this would be convenient..............but most knuckleheads wouldn't pay to rent one..........................

I don't recall just how wide/big a foot print a minimill occupies.

looks like it would work for a manual Bridgeport though.

To get a Bridgeport or MiniMill on a pallet, usually takes a forklift to start with.....so then a person can move it with a forklift trailer. One has to have to have a lot of confidence in the skid and the connection back to the machine as suddenly the "pallet" is an integral part of the load path. Also the tie-down loads could presumably add to the weight of the machine, at least relative to the structure, if they went back to the solid outer framework.

Set machine on solid wood trailer deck, tie down to trailer via straps & chains seems like less effort and more confidence.

Its a good idea, has some potential but in my opinion not the best one.

Back