What's new
What's new

Help with Allis-Chalmers Forklift (FPL 20 24)

OldSchool33

Plastic
I recently won an Allis-Chalmers Forklift at auction and I'm trying to learn more about it before I make the long trek to pick it up. It's an LP unit, the engine seems to want to cut off, they replaced the plugs & wires (Per the current owners). I was trying to figure out the year and engine type (my research tells me that it has a small tractor motor), but not much more. Any help is appreciated.

Model - FPL 20 24
Serial - 17111263

7062_74_4.jpg7062_74_10-1.jpg7062_74_8-1.jpg

Thanks again

Remember a motor is a motor (unless it has a computer on it :) )

You need:

Compression
Spark
timing
fuel

I'm sure you will have it purrrring like new soon.

I'd say mid 50s to early 60s. Some pics would help folks ID it. Its most likely a little Buda or possibly the AC Power Crater derivative of those Budas.

Edit: Looks highly likely its a Waukesha motor.

Thanks guys, here are more pictures!

7062_74_2-1.jpg7062_74_9-1.jpg7062_74_12-1.jpg7062_74_6-1.jpg

Once I get it, I will take some actual pictures of the engine! ;)

A new vaporizer is all it took to get my Caterpillar purring. My Clark that was about the same age as yours (I since sold it) had an unreliable mechanical regulator after the generator and it sometimes failed to charge the battery. When the battery was low the engine torque would go down until it eventually stalled. My best guess was a weak spark, as that was the only electrical part, but I didn't dig into it much. But run it while it's on a decent charger and if it runs great replace the battery and diagnose the generator/regulator.

It looks like it draws gas from the bottle, which can freeze up from extended use in cool weather. But, it can run off of a regular propane tank too if you have the adapter. You won't have a vaporizer, but you will have essentially a "propane carburetor" which is just a regulator with a negative pressure output. They run about $60 for either type so it's a cheap tune up.

Last time I bought a forklift that old it didn't even have hydraulic valves or a brake cylinder included. I made an offer for the not running forklift, bypassed the hydraulic pump and replaced the battery and drove off with it.

funny you said that---my BUDA f/l had a waukeshaw engine-pretty small 4cyl for sure,and a bitch to get to the distributor

Back