help getting a 2,500# surface grinder off my trailer. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond dogs View Post
    id love a forklift but its really not in the budget right now, besides ive got no way to get it home.
    Even easier than unloading a machine, just call a rollback truck. Keep an eye open for an old forklift, they really are not that expensive, and make work soooo much easier.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Even easier than unloading a machine, just call a rollback truck. Keep an eye open for an old forklift, they really are not that expensive, and make work soooo much easier.
    Most if not all machine tools have deceptively high centers of gravity. A forklift might have capacity, but steel forks, uneven floors and other issues make them a last choice for me. Machines you can sling from above, then a lift makes it easy.
    I do all my moves Egyptian; 1" short mild steel stubs, or full length foosball rods, or wood peeler cores. Peelers don't care much about dirt on the floor, cracks and usual impediments. Also right height for deck of tilt trailer. I winched over a little pile of 5/16" chain once, didn't notice a thing.

rigged_brake.jpg

Just tied the legs together with 2x4 and leftover for a Tee section in the middle, lagged to holes in base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess I've just been using forklift so long I just don't know any better? Unloaded a semi trailer full of machines last fall at new shop, had to do it with semi trailer leaning more than I'd like on a hillside. Carried machines a block downhill to an uneven gravel parking lot, across gravel lot, then down very steep and uneven gravel driveway, and guess what, did not drop a one of them. I'd like to think I'm special, but probably just 40 years experience moving stuff. Or maybe I've just figured out how to telepathicly transfer the pucker factor to bottom of machine

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Instead of picking up the load, why not lower the trailer?

You could dig a ramp down below grade and back the trailer in until it is level with the dirt ramp made from the excavated dirt.

Or,

You could dig a trench that would allow the axles of the trailer to rest below grade. Plank over trench, back trailer wheels over trench. Remove tires and use jacks to lower back of trailer down to grade.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rent a forklift for a day. I did that several years ago. Sunbelt Equipment delivered it and picked it up the following day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1

Their 5519 shooting boom fork truck is great for jobs like this. 5500 lb lift close in leaves plenty capacity to reach out and pick that grinder up. Fun machine to run, got 4 wheel steering and the whole machine tilts side to side for uneven ground.

Round here it will run you about $700 for the day including delivery.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk