What's new
What's new

Help Identify my Forklift

HardRooster

Plastic
So I picked up this 5000lb forklift at an auction and I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify more about it.

What I can figure out is it's a Yale/Eaton, it's Liquid Propane, has a Chrysler Slant 6, and its pretty old.

The Model number appears to be: LB3C050SAS102

Forklift ID.jpg

I haven't figured out what year it was made, any hints on how to figure that out? The identification plate is really worn and I don't see it on there.

It needs a little work, but it does function. It's hard to start in cold weather, but it will run. The hydraulics work. I had to put brake fluid and coolant in it. It's missing a couple belts, and they seem to be a very odd size. There are two 1/4" grooves, for I suppose two 1/4" belts? Long belts though, none of the local auto parts places could help me out. I ordered a couple from the interwebs, but I'm just hoping I chose something that will work.

The things last oil change was in 2007, according to the date written on the filter, so it looks like it's been sitting around for a decade. The battery was so dead, none of my chargers could recognize that it was a battery and wouldn't even attempt to charge it.

But in any case, I'll probably have more follow up questions as I work my way through this little project.

IMG_3424.jpg

Be sure to tell all who use it "Steel on Steel is like skates on ice"
That should be written on all Hi Lows, fork lifts and tractors..

True, but how does that pertain to the forklift at hand?

I don't know what year the forklift is but it's old. Yale used the slant 6 for a long time on a bunch of different models. Most all other manufacturers used continental.

I would think somewhere between 1965 and 1985, but that's a guess. Yale is now part of Hyster. If you can find a Hyster dealer, they can probably tell you.

I would put a slant six above a Continental FWIW.

Haven't had much experience with a slant, so I don't really know how good they are. I do know continentals are darned near bulletproof.

Sorry I cant help you with the year of manufacture. Although the slant six makes it a little later model.
Years ago we had a Yale around the shop If I remember correctly it was a 1966 however it had the Chrysler flat 6 engine with a converter and manual trans, it was replaced sometime in the mid 70's with a Yale that had a slant 6.
The Chrysler Industrial slant 6 and the flat head 6 are exceptional engines, they seem to run forever.
Coolest thing about the slant 6 is that parts for them are still easy to find. We completely rebuilt one a few years back, everything came from our local Napa dealer.

Be sure to tell all who use it "Steel on Steel is like skates on ice"
That should be written on all Hi Lows, fork lifts and tractors..

I'll be the only one using it, and I'm pretty new to forklifts anyway. Just "learned" how to operate one a few months ago and just had to have one, you know, to help me move all my other projects around.

So what does that mean, the steel on steel thing?

I would think somewhere between 1965 and 1985, but that's a guess. Yale is now part of Hyster. If you can find a Hyster dealer, they can probably tell you.

I would put a slant six above a Continental FWIW.

Cool, I didn't know that about Hyster. I'll call around, thank you.

So what does that mean, the steel on steel thing?

If you pick up structural steel, or machine castings (like your Bridgeport) directly with the forks, you risk having it slide off as the truck rattles over bumps, etc. A layer of plywood or rubber mat laid on the forks works wonders keeping things in place; it can deform and provides much more friction.

Wood pallets? No problem.

Dennis

If you pick up structural steel, or machine castings (like your Bridgeport) directly with the forks, you risk having it slide off as the truck rattles over bumps, etc. A layer of plywood or rubber mat laid on the forks works wonders keeping things in place; it can deform and provides much more friction.

Wood pallets? No problem.

Dennis

Ah...I would normally ask if a lot of people haul ass with unstable or slippery loads...but the existence of the saying answers that question. Wouldn't occur to me to drive like an idiot, I strap anything down that I think is gonna move, like my sand blaster.

As for my "Bridgeport"...I wish. Maybe you see the two post auto lift on that trailer, but it's no drool-worthy machinist gak.

Every day someone puts a steel part on the forks and with perhaps the first stop the thing perhaps 200 or 2000 pounds slides off and someone foot or leg is crushed. or at the first bump it slides off to the side....I have known three times this has happened and have heard of others... Steel on steel is Like skates on ice because you can put a 2000 Cincinnati TC grinder on a smooth steel plate and one guy can push it. not as easy as rollers but you can move it.

Right now I know a guy off work for the last three weeks.. with having three foot rebuilding operations.. likely never walk with not a limp if the doctors make good of putting the foot back together.

QT: [So what does that mean, the steel on steel thing?] just you asking the question makes you the next guy to cause or be the victim of the next big weight crushing someone's foot or leg.. even killing some one.

The next big rule is stand clear of moving heavy loads..You can't stop the fall so why walk along a 20,000 pound load close enough that it can fall on you.

So expect me to say Steel on Steel is Like Skates on Ice. every time I talk about hi lows.. last week I told that to my grandson and son in law at the deer blind shop.

Like some one said a few days ago.."Feel that the magnet is holding" simple rules every skill person should have embedded in his brain... and so just know it or do it.

Say you that you do it all the time and I will answer people Text and drive all the time till the first accident kills somebody's kid.

I remember 20 years ago.. Couple Millwrights moving a big broach on steel forks and two big HiLos. Machine weighed tons. One guy was walking along holding the machine's side as if he would catch it if it fell..He was a friend of mine so I told him to step away as he could not hold it..He realized I was right and never did that again,

QT: [So what does that mean, the steel on steel thing?] just you asking the question makes you the next guy to cause or be the victim of the next big weight crushing someone's foot or leg.. even killing some one.

QUOTE]

Man, ask some noob questions about a forklift, and get a lecture about how I'm the next great forklift murderer. Guess that's the internet for you. You must have skipped past the post where I said I strap everything down that's questionable. Or maybe also past the part where this is for my personal use, nobody else around to hurt. Not knowing a saying doesn't mean I don't know safety. I'm new to forklifts, not safety. I've towed military aircraft, worked in aircraft hangars with overhead gantry cranes, ground equipment, etc. Also, I've managed to be trained with and deploy the M-16 rifle without ever hurting myself or anyone else...on accident. I've sat through more safety briefs than I can possibly count and I've never caused an accident, because I'm cautious. I would appreciate it you wouldn't assume I'm a stupid forklift killer because I don't know a saying, that's a pretty insulting way to talk to a Marine Corps veteran, let alone anyone else for that matter.

Called the local Yale dealer this morning and gave them my information, model and S/N. Hoping to get a manual from them, but they'll have to call me back. Maybe I'll go look around ebay too.

Maybe I should tell that guy I've probably forked thousands of loads steel on steel and never had an issue...

I did drop a piece of CRS bar off the forks on time when about 3" of packed snow suddenly gave out under one tire. The whole thing leaned to one side and it slid right off. It was about 5 degrees that day and had been -10 that night. The bar was on the truck all night. When that bar hit the pavement, it broke in 3 pieces like a piece of glass. I kept the broken ends because I thought it was cool. The bar was 1-3/4x3-1/2 cross section...

We all do... and most of us know that there is always a chance that the load will shift or slide off. Structural steel and the like is pretty hard to hurt. But, that's not a reason to not mention the possibility to a newbie. There are lots of people who have seen jeeps zooming around in warehouses moving pallets, and think that since things tend to stand on the flat floor and don't fall, that they should act the same on the forks. They pick up their new lathe or mill, and are surprised when it goes sailing off. Then they come here and ask how to fix it.

I suppose this would be a good place to post this link to my favorite forklift training film.

Forklift Driver Klaus English Subtitles - YouTube

Dennis

We all do... and most of us know that there is always a chance that the load will shift or slide off. Structural steel and the like is pretty hard to hurt. But, that's not a reason to not mention the possibility to a newbie. There are lots of people who have seen jeeps zooming around in warehouses moving pallets, and think that since things tend to stand on the flat floor and don't fall, that they should act the same on the forks. They pick up their new lathe or mill, and are surprised when it goes sailing off. Then they come here and ask how to fix it.

I suppose this would be a good place to post this link to my favorite forklift training film.

Dennis

El Oh El, that went downhill fast.

QUOTE]

Man, ask some noob questions about a forklift, and get a lecture about how I'm the next great forklift murderer. Guess that's the internet for you. You must have skipped past the post where I said I strap everything down that's questionable. Or maybe also past the part where this is for my personal use, nobody else around to hurt. Not knowing a saying doesn't mean I don't know safety. I'm new to forklifts, not safety. I've towed military aircraft, worked in aircraft hangars with overhead gantry cranes, ground equipment, etc. Also, I've managed to be trained with and deploy the M-16 rifle without ever hurting myself or anyone else...on accident. I've sat through more safety briefs than I can possibly count and I've never caused an accident, because I'm cautious. I would appreciate it you wouldn't assume I'm a stupid forklift killer because I don't know a saying, that's a pretty insulting way to talk to a Marine Corps veteran, let alone anyone else for that matter.

Hardrooster, its obvious you are a newbie to this forum. If you can't take the chance your post will go off topic, don't post.

Michiganbuck was not lecturing you personally, so don't take it that way. This forum is read by thousands who never register. If just one of them reads buck's safety lecture and behaves in a safer manner, the lecture has done its job.

Last edited:

Dennis

What part of that stoopid vid is one to take with any seriousness at all?
There may be a couple of good points hidden in there, but at best it would be a reminder for experienced and lax opperators that already know and understand the dangers.

This isn't going to teach anyone other than how to blow 5 minutes and get a gold star for attending a Safety Training meeting.

-----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

This isn't going to teach anyone other than how to blow 5 minutes and get a gold star for attending a Safety Training meeting.

The group I was in got (read: forced) to watch every %$#@! safety film ever made,
as a test group for what the company wanted to buy.
We were the safest group in the plant....because we spent the least amount
of time at our machines....:nutter:

QT: [Michiganbuck was not lecturing you personally, so don't take it that way. This forum is read by thousands who never register. If just one of them reads buck's safety lecture and behaves in a safer manner, the lecture has done its job.] Thanks Gbent, Buck

Did not mean to lecture.. Just fresh in mind because a fellow I know just got his foot crushed three weeks ago and my grand son is fresh new to a shop that has fork lift. Yes the Slayer products deer blind manufacturing shop we are putting together.
Two things ..Steel on steel and trust you helper..Know the signals like up, down, right ,left , forward, Back. , STOP. Is better that trying to aim every thing from the drivers seat. Just did today with lining the blind base feet to match the tower holes.

Seems the guys who are offended. by any safety or review and get hot if any one should say Bo.

QT Hard : [Just "learned" how to operate one a few months ago and ....] I do hope you never have a problem.
Buck

Bo.

Back