What's new
What's new

Hillman skates

TFPace

Stainless
I have to move at waterjet tank into my shop. Weight is 14,000 pounds. Sunbelt Rental keeps this style in stock for rent http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LuNZ0rxhL._SL1000_.jpg. My concrete was poured 10 days ago and I'm in hope these Nyton wheels are what is best suited for a new pad. Hilman says " Nyton Series Rollers are primarily used on epoxy coated and/or sealed floors where the integrity of the floor is of concern during a move.:

Opinions please.

Thanks,

Tom

Should be fine if the rollers are rated for that kind of weight. The nylon wheels are better than the old cat track style IMO. They roll more easily over rough floors or debris.

How are you getting it on the skates?

My first advice is to empty the tank of water ;)

If you got the concrete from a supplier they should be able to give you estimated setting times and load capacity. Or, if it's a DIY you should have some data from the cement bags, or their website. Or take a ball peen hammer to a section of cement that will be under the tank (but not under the feet) and give it some heavy taps to see if the concrete spalls easily. If it's resistant, you'll likely be OK with the rollers.

If all else fails, buy some 1/16" steel sheet and place it over the concrete as a bearing surface. Sweep the concrete carefully to remove every bit of loose material, if there's "nuggets" sticking up knock them off with a chisel first. The flatter/smoother the floor, the easier to move the tank.

I moved a 12,000lb boatanchor L&S using those horrible roller/track Hillman skates.

Never gonna do that again.....

Those look much nicer.

My plans are to use two forklifts to set the tank inside the building. Lower tank onto skates and roll the tank into position.

Using two forklifts could put some uneven strain through the machine. Any risk to the drive mechanism through "racking" the tank? Have you talked to the manufacturer to get their recommendations on moving the tank?

I moved a 12,000lb boatanchor L&S using those horrible roller/track Hillman skates.

Never gonna do that again.....

Those look much nicer.

Horrible???? Millions of lbs of machinery have been moved on Hillmans. Pro. riggers coast to coast use them every day. I have a 2 sets I have used many times with no problem. If you had problems with them it was more likely you than the Hillmans.

The old Hilmans work reasonably well. Stay within the weight recommendations and they work fine. If you overload them they will mess up a floor.

10 days isn't really enough for my liking.

28 days is normal for the concrete to reach full strength.

Horrible???? Millions of lbs of machinery have been moved on Hillmans. Pro. riggers coast to coast use them every day. I have a 2 sets I have used many times with no problem. If you had problems with them it was more likely you than the Hillmans.

Would have worked better had I run them in a track like you can see in the first animation. Hilman Rollers -
That would have kept them straight. And it may have been that that rented set was just beat up.

But with every little divot, crack, chip they turned in accordance to their own wishes. Sometimes they'd get something stuck in the track deal and would bind up. And that was with me sweeping ahead of the machine.

Used 3 like your supposed too, 30ton capacity set so I'm pretty sure I was within capacity.

They are better than nothing, but I'd rather uses skates like the ones in the OP.

Dealing in machinery I've seen many many riggers move machinery and I don't recall a single one of them using the old Hillman small roller style. But I suppose they'd be ok on a clean crack free floor if you used three of them rather than four. Using four is where folks get into trouble....least little difference in floor level and one corner skate rolls out. Also the rear two skates should be afixed together via adjustable bar to they are forced to move in parallel....such as below set up.

det_gks_1.jpg

I always use 3, or I put two very close together on one end.

Another thing I do is clamp a bar between the wide skates to keep them straight. They do tend to toe out for no explicable reason.

The 4 roller setup is much better for large heavy things that have some flex. Something like a shipping containers, large weldments, or HVAC units. In fact, many things have to be supported at the corners.

For something stout, with a small foot print, like a machine tool, the 3 point system is much better.

I've used Hillman rollers for years and never had a problem with them. Make sure the foor is clean and you get everything aligned correct and you should be good to go. I do agree that ten days is probably a little soon to put a large pressure on the slab but as long as you don't shock it (drop something like a huge water tank on it) or leave a large pressure point it should be good.

One unseen problem with the recirculating Hillmans is that dirt accumulates between the rollers and the body, and debris there acts just like debris on the floor. I wash mine out before and after and scrape the underside of the body with a flexible putty knife shoved in between the rollers to get that debris off. That makes them OK to use, without that preparation they do really suck. Still I prefer the fixed roller type. I haven't had a problem with them pivoting on their own, it's usually a struggle to get them to pivot.

I always use 3, or I put two very close together on one end.

Another thing I do is clamp a bar between the wide skates to keep them straight. They do tend to toe out for no explicable reason.

The 4 roller setup is much better for large heavy things that have some flex. Something like a shipping containers, large weldments, or HVAC units. In fact, many things have to be supported at the corners.

For something stout, with a small foot print, like a machine tool, the 3 point system is much better.

That is exactly what I do, I'v never had a problem with them.

It was said above, but I'll repeat it as well as "like" it. As a general rule, 10 days after pouring concrete is nowhere near long enough to be rolling multi-ton point loads around on the surface.

If you really must move the machine across the floor now i would find a set of areogo air skates to use as they will be much easier on your floor by spreading the load evenly over a much larger area .
Air skates are usually "found" in a crate at the end of a rainbow or by clicking special "ruby edition" Red Wing shoes together three times....

Back