What's new

"HOIST" Fork trucks?

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 57
  • Views 5,827

Ox

Diamond
'Don't believe that I have ever heard of these, but they claim that they are all USA built and 15K and up capacity.

http://www.hoistlift.com/

Why haven't I heard of them?
Are they just real expensive?
What kind of reputation?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have only seen riggers using them.

EDIT: I have seen one of the electric 15k units (looks like the smallest they sell)
It had a clamp rollover attachment for handling large castings.

No way could the operator see much at all thru that mast.

Hyster has the wide field of view mast and others also have easier to view thru mast's.

A place I worked at had one of the 30K capacity ones. Remarkably compact for its rating. It ran on propane and was plumbed for two tanks at a time.

Very capable units yet for some reason not well known.

'Don't believe that I have ever heard of these, but they claim that they are all USA built and 15K and up capacity.

http://www.hoistlift.com/

Why haven't I heard of them?
Are they just real expensive?
What kind of reputation?
Hoist has been around since the 1950's I suspect...maybe even before then. I used to have a 20,000 lb capacity Hoist... used two 36 volt batteries for 72 volt system. Mine was identical to the 30,000 lb version, but with less counterweight.

hoist6.jpg

We have a Hoist 60/80. I did a factory tour when it was being built. Pretty neat seeing how they are built. They are stall assembled (components are built elsewhere in the plant and brought to the “stall” to be assembled.

Hoist was started by Marty Flaska who owned the rights to the old Silent Hoist name. A few years ago, they had a contract to also build certain Toyota lifts for the American market. A couple of years ago Marty sold the complete business to Toyota. I think they still operate independently for the most part, but are now wholly owned by Toyota.

Hoist has been around since the 1950's I suspect...maybe even before then. I used to have a 20,000 lb capacity Hoist... used two 36 volt batteries for 72 volt system. Mine was identical to the 30,000 lb version, but with less counterweight.

View attachment 298416

ERC, near Cleveland, had a monster. 30 tonner/ 60,000 lbs?

Weird, 'coz they were only after getting a 5 HP DC motor off the rack for me, but both smaller FL were down. One out of propane, another out of batt'ry.

So they had to go and get the only guy credentialed on the monster as looked as if it could dead-lift a war-one submarine, and finesse its wide-ass stance up close to the rack!

Talk about "overkill"!

Built like Mohawk lifts or Hendey lathes where too much Iron or steel is almost enough.

Yazz. it WOULD be riggers who appreciated them, wouldn't it?

Actually, they are built in East Chicago, Indiana.

Indiana has beeen hard at work trying to save Chicago's soul from the Devil for a VERY long time.

May they live long, prosper... and never quite succeed.

LAST damned thing our overstressed economy can stand is the Devil filing for unemployment.

The wage-rate and aeons of Seniority is positively Satanic.

:(

I've seen them in marinas/boat-yards/boat rack storage yards. Rather than the travel-lift scheme used for larger boats, they just put really long forks on them, and one presumes a pretty long load center rating. But a lot of boats in yards aren't all that heavy. I'd swear I saw one that could lower the carriage really low too (to set a boat over seawall) but cannot recall how that possibly would have worked.

The 60/80 Hoist I have, and all of the FR series, are pretty much an exact copy of the Versa-lift. Versa-lift had a great design, and was the premiere extendable-counterweight forklift on the market for a number of years, but they made one mistake, they didn't patent anything. Versa-lifts are great machines, but it's a small company and has slow build times. They mainly hire out all the component builds, and just assemble them.

When we bought our 60/80, Versa-lift was right at a year and a half wait on a new machine. Hoist told me 6 weeks, but they built it in a month. Between the quick build times, and not being able to secure the rights to their original design, is bound to have hurt Versa-lift.

It has also greatly changed the machinery moving forklift market. There were places like National Lift Truck and A1-heavy Lift that had a business model of buying new Versa-lifts, rent them for a couple of years, and still sell them for more than they paid. See, due to the long wait times on a new Versa-lift, low hour used lifts actually would sell for more than a new one, because it could be delivered immediately. These forklift dealers kept a standing order on new lifts, so they still had a steady supply, even if they were taking delivery of forklifts that were ordered the year before. Hoist 6-week lead time really changed that market. Now, the price of used lifts has really went down.

I've seen them in marinas/boat-yards/boat rack storage yards. Rather than the travel-lift scheme used for larger boats, they just put really long forks on them, and one presumes a pretty long load center rating. But a lot of boats in yards aren't all that heavy. I'd swear I saw one that could lower the carriage really low too (to set a boat over seawall) but cannot recall how that possibly would have worked.

The marina lifts have been a big market for them. When I was talking a tour of the factory, their best selling model was actually a Clark, that they repainted and put their mast on. They said that after crunching the numbers, it was more economical for them to buy the Clark and add their mast, than it was to build the whole machine.

The marina lifts have been a big market for them. When I was talking a tour of the factory, their best selling model was actually a Clark, that they repainted and put their mast on. They said that after crunching the numbers, it was more economical for them to buy the Clark and add their mast, than it was to build the whole machine.

Not a new approach.

One of the GI FL trucks on my Army "Heavy" license was an articulated-steer rough terrain unit built off hanging a mast on the already hydraulics-heavy haul tractor off a common mud-mover scraper and pan!

Lift and "rough terrain" it was good at. Very!

Positioning... vs my beloved seventy-leben-ways articulated artificial steel hands "Anthony" as cudda picked pockets or played piano for a living was a right sunnovabeech!

:D

Local rigger has a few. One is a 40/60 other is a 25/35. Said the 40/60 was a couple hundred grand. Little 4 cylinder, everything run off hydraulics.

Nice machines.
d38b33d9b639e7ff2d45316483a0c5cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I worked with a engineer, that one of his first jobs when he came over from Greece, was working for Clark doing just that.
He said the brakes would get morning sickness, and grab.
Not good with the boat way up in the air.

Back