What's new
What's new

Homemade Rigger's Boom

dshore

Plastic
Seems like the question of moving stuff comes up from time to time. Thought I'd share some info and photos of a rigger's boom I recently made for my home shop Hyster lift truck. The boom's design is based on several similar ones I've seen searching around the web. The lift truck is rated at 8800 lb, and the boom is good for at least that much. All materials for the boom were purchased at a steel fab shop that was downsizing -- about 500 lb of remnant steel for about $150. The vertical mast is 7" square tubing, 5/16" wall about 80" tall. The main horizontal part of the boom is 4" x 6" x 3/8" wall tubing, 42" long. The telescoping boom extension is made from 3" x 5" x 1/4" wall tubing, and extends out about 30". The stiffener with all the holes, underneath the main boom, is 4" x 5/8" plate. The brace between the vertical and horizontal is two 1/4" plates, one plate on each side of the horizontal stiffener. The horizontal members that attach to the lift truck are 1" x 6" plate, using 1" x 2" clamps fastened with 5/8" Grade 8 bolts. The smaller bolts at the lower end of the mast are for attaching to a stand I made so I can remove the boom from the truck, when I need to put forks back on. Paint is Hammerite Rust Cap hammertone paint, applied with roller.
A fun project. Now, I can lift that 4 ton Pacemaker lathe when I find one on CL for a hundred bucks -- Ha!
Dale

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 20,666
  • IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 20,925
  • IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 11,416
  • IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 9,577
  • IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 18,115
that sure is a nice job. and I am not criticizing just one observation, I would weld on a couple of horizontal gussets where the vertical tube meets the cross brackets, I could see in use where you are concentrating allot of torsion here. think an off center load that wants to pull to one side.

My $.02, I would have gusseted the hell out of the plate that holds the boom to the plate on the forklift mast. That's a high stress area.

Also, how much is this really going to help you? Can't you just use the forks?

Great job. I like it from a function point of view. We have jibs like the one I posted above, but they had the height issue, as well as the load center issue. You are 1100MM or so out from the mast before you even extend it, this one cures that, although, is not as convienient. Ours slip on and are secured by a chain around the forks.

Suggestion I will make is a swivel hook somewhere, not sure if you have one already but its a must for positioning loads. Safety boffins will probably suggest a safety shackle also. Not a bad idea either as that pin might work its way out on you if your really working for a period of time.

And a quick release pin for the boom extension with a lynch pin or other. Ours have a drop down pin that uses gravity to hold it in, which is interesting as your putting a hole in the top face of the RHS which is where I would think is the worst place to do so. But ours a rated to 2T maximum which is more then the forks' capacity at that load center and after 5 or so years of abuse are still going.

Aside from a few missing gussets, looks good, aannnnd maybe he has an ulterior motive for the design besides lifting old lathes. Clearance may be an issue in his shop. Nothing like ripping out a door double door frame cause the mast was too high. I have seen it happen and ended up having to fix it. Nothing like 12' double doors and a huge sign mentioning the threat of unemployment to keep it from happening again. :codger:

Last edited:
Nice piece. A similar piece is on my project list.

Thats a decent sized lift truck. I don't think the joint between the vertical and horizontal booms is up to the task. When you gusset to the center of square tubing the gusset is soft as the tubing face oil cans. I would tie that gusset into the edges of both pieces of tubing.

The only critique that I can add is BE CAREFUL you've moved your load center beyond the rated 24" . your truck is rated for 8,800# so find a 6,000# load and pick it up a little drive forward and stop quick not a panic stop just quick, and don't be surprised if your steering wheels come off the ground, you may only have a safe lifting capacity of 4,000# my rigger has a fork truck of 35,000# cap. when he's using the boom lift he can extend the counter weight and steering axle about 4' which helps him keep his lift capacity.

I want one for the 3 point hitch on my tractors. I am getting to old to lift all this heavy stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I want one for the 3 point hitch on my tractors. I am getting to old to lift all this heavy stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Like Dis'...?

Minus the manlift cage of course.

Attachments

• roof1.jpg
    roof1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2,431
Wow -- didn't expect so many responses. Thanks to all who provided useful input.

I obviously messed up -- I take care of that pin striping right away!!!

Dale

Nice work. Two things:

1) Why does everybody make these things so tall? I know that yours is built the way most people in the industry do it, but you don't seem to be lacking for reach height. Seems like you could have made the thing 3'-4' shorter and not had such a moment pulling directly out against your top plate where it attaches to the mast. Maybe the masts lift differently.

2) The attachment of the top plate to the forklift is iffy. When that joint fails, it won't be pretty. The earlier suggestion of gussets was a good one. I'd even consider going ahead and welding those joints up. Just hook your boom over the forklift plate & bolt the bottom like you have. Bottom joint is pure compression, no problem there.

Nice material & paint job.

Nice work, but if an 8000 lbs load at 24" from the face of the jib, Those bolts at the clamp will be loaded to 12000 lbs per bolt. Over the limit of the 5/8 bolt I'd think.

Back