Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We used a steel 4-horse trailer for a few years as it was what we had and it worked fine for it's weight limits (which weren't too bad for it's size. We cut the back half of the roof off without any issue, but it was a 50's-60's era build so perhaps it was heavier built.

It was replaced with another trailer eventually as the sides were not ideal. They offer 1000's of tie down locations, but also expose the contents to the elements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    The local propane company... (snip) They straddle the tank, hoist it up, and away they go. I do think they have some tubing or something that they slide under the tank, after it is lifted, to support the tank going down the road...
    That's pretty clever. I use E-track in my trailers, and E-track load bars are good for 2200 lbs. working weight each. E-track is slightly stronger, especially when welded continuously along its length, top and bottom. With that appropriately placed, one could build a floor underneath most any item that is within the running gear's weight rating. Load would need to be secured to trailer frame for lateral shifting, as the load bars are adjustable for length, and may slide left to right. But fore/aft and up/down would be fine if secured only to the bars.

I have an elbow-high row of track in my enclosed trailer, both for securing items to the sides and for supporting a 'mezzanine' level for a two-layer approach to some loads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many horse trailers have no frame to speak of, there is support under the floor with leaf springs hooked to it and somewhat ahead of that the tongue is welded onto the front of the trailer but not directly to the framework with the springs If that makes any sense. I like my trailers to have a frame from the ball to the tail lights. Some horse trailers do but a lot do not.