What's new
What's new

Cat V60B Diesel Engine

J-Head

Hot Rolled
I finally confirmed that the engine in my Cat V60B Forklift is a Perkins 4.236

Unfortunately 90% of the part numbers in the Cat parts manual for the engine are no longer any good.

Fortunately, I did find that the Perkins 4.236 was used in a lot of applications including many Massy Ferguson farm tractors and the parts are readily available from places like Yesterday’s Tractor.

One problem that has developed now that summer is here is that the engine won’t idle after it warms up (after 15-20 minutes of run time). It’s like the accelerator is stuck at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle, but it’s not a mechanical linkage problem.

The only thing I can think of is that when the fuel heats up its viscosity drops and increases in flow into the engine?

Maybe I need new injectors?

The engine runs fine when it’s cold. It’s Easy to start and runs smooth. Any ideas what could be wrong?

If it's a Perkins, I assume it's a CAV injection pump. Could be a sticking governor linkage. I can't remember how Perkins does it. Typically there are weights on the cam that control the governor.

I had to replace the fly weight basket in a CAV pump once due to rough running. The fly weights control the timing advance needed to prevent smoking at idle.

I doubt it has anything to do with injectors.

My Hyster plays up like that,and its drag in the powershift,likley buckled plates from running on the road.......Anyway,I do know about CAV DPA pumps,hydraulic and mechanical governed,and 4/236 Perks in general.....I have half a dozen of them....The only likely fuel problem other than filters will be the very fine gauze /plastic filter in the inlet assy at the top of the vane pump head......the very fine gauze blocks easily ,but is cleaned by reverse flush with a very fine jet of water....If you undo the nut,be careful springs and a screw dont drop out and get lost........another potential problem is the O rings in the throttle spindle ,but they will leak diesel while running......Check the fine plastic filter only after changing the paper filter elements.....its also worth ensuring the AC lift pump isnt failed with grot in the valves ,or under the gauze in the top.Forklifts tend to suffer from dirt and water in the fuel.If the lift pump is dirty ,clean out the tank.

Back