What's new
What's new

how to flip parts over

Larry Dickman

Titanium
Most of our parts you could pick up with one hand, but we have a few that are in the 250-500 pound range. It's always a big hassle trying to flip them over. Usually we can put a lift hole in somewhere, but it's still awkward and clumsy.

Just wondering how you guys go about flipping big parts over. Here's a video on I beam welding I came across. At about 4:50, they flip it over using a pair of roller chains. I thought this was pretty slick. Smooth and safe. Interesting, at least.

T and I-Beam manufacturing line - YouTube

often just choke with strap or chains. i usually roll on wood like 6x6 or 8x8 wood timbers
often to not scratch part so roll on wood. got to watch part rolling and it swinging and or spinning
often 2nd reason to do on 6x6 or 8x8 wood is its normally high enough if it swings or spins and comes off the wood its still high enough above the floor to not touch floor. if in doubt i do over plywood too
usually take pictures once its figured out how to do. so next guy not trying to figure out best way to flip part the next time. its part of part setup procedure. 10 ton part you dont want a person guessing on how to flip part

The key to it is what we called a "chain fall hoist". You have one chain going up and one chain going down on the same hoist. I'm not sure that it's anything more than a regular hoist without a chain basket. I'm unsure if the hoist motor is rated the same in each direction.

Anyway, when you are able to have one chain going up and one chain going down at the same time on the same hoist, it's really not a bad process. You've always got control of it both directions, and can stop at at any time.

Some of the parts that had holes in them we would just take a 3/4" bar and stick in the hole. Then use the bar as a lever/handle and "roll" the parts on the pallet.

Back