What's new
What's new

Hydraulic Problem - Bucket Won't Uncurl

jcorsico

Aluminum
Hi -

I have a compact utility tractor with a front end loader and pallet forks. While using the tractor the other day, I accidentally dug the edge of the bucket into the ground while driving forward at speed. The hit was pretty hard, and my chest slammed into the steering wheel.

After that impact, the bucket no longer un-curls. It curls fine. It goes up and down fine, but if you try to uncurl, it moves about 1 inch and then stops.

I tried reversing the hydraulic lines (curl hydraulic circuit to lift cylinders, and vice versa), and the curl feature then works fine. So there is nothing wrong with the curl cylinders.

Any ideas what this could be?

The other odd behavior is that the curl circuit will not depressurize. In other words, even if I turn the tractor off, lower the bucket to the ground, and then move the joystick around, the curl circuit remains fully pressurized. The other circuits de-pressurize, like you would expect. This is probably why it won't uncurl? If the curl circuit is always pressurized, then the uncurl circuit is going to be fighting the curl circuit.

What would cause the curl circuit to not depressurize?

Thanks!
Jon

Given that you have swapped lines and the cylinder works in the opposite direction as desired, it is likely that the circuit has a piloted check valve in it. I have a woods loader on my Kubota - it will hold a 2000 lb load on the forks with extremely fine control. This is because it has a piloted check valve in the lift and curl circuits. If you damaged the piloted check valves, that would explain why the rod side of the cylinder will not depressurize.

Already tried repeatedly connecting and disconnecting the quick couplers...

And why didn't you state this in you original post ?

I've frankly had enough of the post's like yours, as Forrest called the "Ya butts"

We offer suggestions, you trickle more and more snippets of info, with "Ya butt I already
tried this"

Given that you have swapped lines and the cylinder works in the opposite direction as desired, it is likely that the circuit has a piloted check valve in it. I have a woods loader on my Kubota - it will hold a 2000 lb load on the forks with extremely fine control. This is because it has a piloted check valve in the lift and curl circuits. If you damaged the piloted check valves, that would explain why the rod side of the cylinder will not depressurize.

I have no idea if it has a piloted check valve. I will check. Thank you!

And why didn't you state this in you original post ?

I've frankly had enough of the post's like yours, as Forrest called the "Ya butts"

We offer suggestions, you trickle more and more snippets of info, with "Ya butt I already
tried this"

Maybe if you actually read the original post, you would have seen that I already swapped the hydraulic lines around.

Maybe if you actually read the original post, you would have seen that I already swapped the hydraulic lines around.

Your now playing lawyer here.

I specifically said if a Quick coupler is not fully engaged (still locked on) it will dead end.

I'm done with you and your multiple problems, not the least is your hydraulic problem.

There should be a plug on the top and bottom in line next to the bucket spool on the control valve. Remove them and I bet you will find your problem. They are circuit relief or load check valves as Motion stated.

tried this"

Why would he post a question here if it was some no brainer issue like a quick coupler?

Posting on an internet forum is the last act of desperation, not the place you start.

There should be a plug on the top and bottom in line next to the bucket spool on the control valve. Remove them and I bet you will find your problem. They are circuit relief or load check valves as Motion stated.

Here is a part drawing of the valve. Are you referring to items 16, 17 and 18?

Thank you!

drawing.jpgdrawing 2.JPG

Have you tried removing the couplers from the hoses and switching them. It sounds like your quick coupler ball is stuck and not letting flow threw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a part drawing of the valve. Are you referring to items 16, 17 and 18?

Thank you!

View attachment 179940View attachment 179941
What kind of tractor loader do you have? That control valve is a bit different than most. Yes I am thinking #16 might be stuck, that's a pretty simple valve.
Does the valve spool work free? Also double check your quick couplers on the tractor side, something might be stuck.

When you switched hoses around and the bucket started working, did you try to see if the boom would raise and lower?

Check for bent rods on those cylinders. I've seen guys make bananas out of their bucket cylinders by driving over the bucket while 'grading'. Slightly bent rods may still retract if there is enough force available. Extend the cylinder rods fully and put a straight edge on them.

These are all good ideas. I will try them when I can get back to the tractor. It's a John Deere compact utility tractor, 2032R.

Thanks again!
Jon

Problem solved! It was a broken quick coupler.:angry:

I cannot tell how the coupler failed. It looks perfectly normal, and works in your hand perfectly fine. Low pressure fluid (such as water coming out of a faucet) flows through the coupler normally. But high pressure fluid somehow causes it to shut.

I changed the coupler after running out of other ideas. I replaced both the male and female ends. Doing this was a guess, as I didn't think the coupler was broken..

Thank you all for your help!

Jon

Back