What's new
What's new

Hyster 150 electric problem

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
My electric Hyster has a good battery and charges to 100% and gradually drops in percentage numbers during use as it should. Then all of a sudden, the battery indicator digital gage drops to a minus number such as -15 and shuts down like it overloaded and resets after fifteen minutes or so only to go -15 and shut off again. If you mess with the throttle, sometimes it goes back to a high plus number like 70 and works perfectly for awhile only to unexpectedly go minus at any time and shut down. Any ideas?

I would put a volt meter on the battery during use to try and figure out if it was a battery problem or forklift problem.

Some battery discharge indicators (BDI) monitor battery voltage and will shut things off to prevent over discharging and battery damage.
With some BDI the percentage shown is a guesstimate of what the BDI thinks the battery is capable of, not a true reading.

It could be a bad connection on a power cable.
When the battery voltage goes down the amperage goes up to do the same work.
This could cause a poor connection to heat up and cause more resistance and lower voltage seen by the BDI.

How do I find the BDI? It appears the BDI is inexpensive so I would like to replace it and see if this cures the problem. I believe the battery is fine because the meter shows a high value number one second and a minus number seconds later then it will go to the high value again and work fine.

You need to monitor the battery voltage real time while observing the BDI. This will likely mean wiring up extended leads so you can place the meter near the display.

It might be a defective BDI but it could just as easily be an intermittent connection, possibly even within the battery itself or the cell connectors. It is not uncommon for corrosion and vibration to cause fractures that temporarily separate and then "heal" themselves.

Back