Hyster 3 speed transmission issue
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hyster 3 speed transmission issue

I know what the issue is, just not sure what the part is called and what model this lift is.

I believe is a S150a or a S120a. I know its can pick up at least 12k pounds, but it looks like a 150 or 120 are both rated in that range. Someone tore the data plate off.....

Current issue is that I have no Low gear, or 1st. 2nd and 3rd are fine.

Gear shifter is sloppy.

Took cover off top of gear housing, 2nd and 3rd gear shift fork is fine, however the other one on the other rod, which I presume is for first has been broken off. The big straight tooth gear to the front of it has the edges of every tooth look to be worn off at at 45, not sure if that is how it was designed though, since it looks very consistent.

Trying to figure out if the broken part is just 1st gear shift fork or called something else.

Oh, apparently this is why it was over in the corner, someone was using this as a warehouse lift and beating on it, instead of one of the 20k hour 3500lb Toyota's.

They have been told this is not a daily beat around lift...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "big gear" on the mainshaft ,you can see ,meshes with a much smaller gear on a layshaft .....around 15 -17 teeth......this is likely backed off to the extent it jumps out of gear.........problem with the manual 3 speed tranny is operators jam them into gear without pausing a few seconds to let gears stop rotating ....so if the small layshaft gear is worn away ,it will have to be replaced ....the whole layshaft ,as the gear is cut integral .......IIRC,the manual Hyster box is a Borg Warner ,and if you have a large stack of old truck boxes ,likely it can be fixed with used parts......otherwise ,its new spares from Hyster or maybe TVH

3. Likes Mr.Green liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The "big gear" on the mainshaft ,you can see ,meshes with a much smaller gear on a layshaft .....around 15 -17 teeth......this is likely backed off to the extent it jumps out of gear.........problem with the manual 3 speed tranny is operators jam them into gear without pausing a few seconds to let gears stop rotating ....so if the small layshaft gear is worn away ,it will have to be replaced ....the whole layshaft ,as the gear is cut integral .......IIRC,the manual Hyster box is a Borg Warner ,and if you have a large stack of old truck boxes ,likely it can be fixed with used parts......otherwise ,its new spares from Hyster or maybe TVH
    I will take a picture of it later tonight.

Good to know it is possible Borg warner.

Yes, that's exactly why this forklift should not be used for stupid tasks that can be accomplished by one of the beater lifts.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Found the rest of the fork in the bottom of the gear box.

Guess I should look up the numbers on the box and confirm who made it.

Also, I doubt those two gears should look like that, but they seem to fully engage fine and it looks like a real project pulling that box out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems it's a BW T87 HD from a 50s era ford truck. Shift fork is 40 bucks.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sign of massive abuse......I d fire a couple of the worst culprits ,as a warning to the rest to respect machinery provided by an employer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Sign of massive abuse......I d fire a couple of the worst culprits ,as a warning to the rest to respect machinery provided by an employer.
    Can you imagine the noise it made when they were in the middle of grind it till you find it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had to buy a used gearbox out of another hyster. Fork was impossible to find, used gears were out there, but an entire gearbox was the smartest choice.