What's new
What's new

Hyster 8K LP cushion forklift - Any idea of PITA factor in DIY replacing starter ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
hyster2.jpg Can barely see the end of it looking thru rear wheel well with flashlight... looks like major PITA to get to.... unless from underneath maybe ?

Yes, underneath. It needs to be jacked up for access. A rope helps hold the starter over the guard. One hand at a time can touch anything. If it has a wet bell housing, that is much more difficult with the gasket not falling off.

Mike

My young nephew was a car mechanic at a new car dealer. ....he wanted to get into "big money" forklift repair .....two days on forklifts and he s back at the car dealership asking for his old job back.

This is off-topic but is that the -BCS Box Car eSpecial? Looks like it has the high-stacked counterweight.

The 4.3L has more width due to the "V" configuration. The old 250-6 (line 6) has tons of room around it albeit longer.

My young nephew was a car mechanic at a new car dealer. ....he wanted to get into "big money" forklift repair .....two days on forklifts and he s back at the car dealership asking for his old job back.

There is a whole lot of truth to that. Smaller forklifts can be a real pain to work on, no room. I do bet forklift mechanics make a lot better money than car mechanics.

Yes starters and forklifts are a real pita.
Usually have to raise the lift up enough to at least see a little.
Having good dexterity and enough sockets and extensions to make up stuff that is just the right length helps.

Being a forklift mechanic has some job security.
Nobody else wants the job.

Sometimes, a larger forklift can be used to tip the machine over on an angle to gain better access underneath. IF there's a larger forklift available.

There is a whole lot of truth to that. Smaller forklifts can be a real pain to work on, no room. I do bet forklift mechanics make a lot better money than car mechanics.

And they pay for the privilege with wrecked backs and ruined knees.

On a related note, what is it about Hyster forklifts that makes them so compact?

In the 4k-10k pound size range, the later-generation Hyster forklifts look about 2/3 the size of the competition for the same weight capacity!

ToolCat

The more compact ,the harder to work on ,to the point where ,the,cab,panels, counterweight and engine have to come out to get at the tranny.....In other words dont fix your old fork ,scrap it and lease a new one.....Dont have a downturn with all your stuff on a serviced lease tho,it ll ,break you.

Back