What's new
What's new

Hyster acquisition

Jeremy

Hot Rolled
A friend and I split the cost of a 1950's Hyster YT40 three wheel forklift. I think we lucked out. Everything worked on it, but the transmission made some noise, and wanted to roll back a bit when in neutral. We hauled it back to the shop and found the transmission was almost completely empty. After fishing around in the bottom of the tranny with a magnet and not finding any metal chunks, we topped it off with fluid and it drives nicely now. Whether any significant damaged happened in the past remains to be seen. The brakes even work!

The gear shift lever is very sloppy. The groove in the pivot ball has a large amount of wear where the alignment pin rides. What would be the best rod to repair that with? I assume the ball is some sort of hardened steel and mild steel would wear down quickly.

For clarification, this is the pivot ball I'm talking about. The one in the Hyster is MUCH worse, but only in one spot, not all along the slot.

shift1.jpg

Hyster_yt40.jpg

Good score. I also own a YT40. From the 1940s I'd guess, could be 50s, it has 1968 CA license plates on it. The relatively large pneumatic tires are nice as well the 4 cyl gas Wisconsin motor. I have driven mine all over town. Yours is missing the hood. Looks good, have fun forking around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...my OCD is a little worried about the prospects of locating an engine cover.

You are probably best to weld up the slot with a stainless rod,say 312..."Weldall" type.....and preheat to around 200deg C....not very hard,but the weld wont crack..........generally these sticks are a hard steel up to the ball,with a mild steel shaft friction welded on....The big cover nut looks like the box may be a Warner/Borg Warner....and a truck stick may fit......but it will be worn too.

Nice find with a nice story as you bring it back to life. Curious, that right fork been repaired? From the pick.. looks like a weld straight across the fork-- I wonder if it is also welded underneath?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that fork looks sketchy. It's been sistered on both sides right at the heel.

That's a cool truck though. Needs dingle balls. :)

He says so.......he says"my stick is worse than this one"..and the one he shows is ok..............3 wheel forklifts are very easy to tip over on rough ground if you re not used to their quirks.

Back