What's new
What's new

Hyster S60 ES stuck in neutral

Is there a safety interlock that wont let you put it in gear. Clutch peddle ,brake peddle. Other shift lever in a certain position. You may want to check the adjustment of any shifting related micro switches. I'm not familiar with your model.
You may want to be more specific on the type of transmission

that model usually featured monotrol shift brake pedal--red rubber pad typical

momentary switches connected to tilting pedal--if any wire is disconected it usually remained in neutral

transmission was totally solenoid controlled
again--any wire loose or disconnected would disable

Last edited:
On our Hyster (don't remember the model, but pictures on google look identical) there is a mechanical linkage between the brake pedal and transmission that puts the transmission into neutral once you press the brake. This is to allow you to press the gas pedal for using hydraulics while stopped without shifting into neutral. I personally think it's a pain in the ass, and can come out of adjustment (along with making it impossible to stop and start on a hill without rolling back).

Many people choose to disconnect the linkage and tie it back. However, the linkage is spring loaded towards the neutral position, so if however it was secured moved it will tend to slip to neutral. Also, as the brakes wear and get crappier and crappier as forklift brakes tend to do, the pedal position the corresponds to a dead stop changes relative to where it goes into neutral.

A picture of the pedals and transmission with the floor pan removed will help determine if this could be related to the issue.

Also check that the interlock switch on the engine cover is functional. This is the only shifting interlock that our forklift has.

If I remember correctly.
There is a small slave cylinder on the side of the transmission control valve that works off the brake system.
If the transmission plunger leaks and gets atf onto the slave piston cup it will swell and not release the inching system.
You can manually push the slave piston back to see if that is the problem.
Try and use factory brake cups if you need to replace it.
They are very small and need to move freely.

There may be neutral switch on the park brake.
Make sure that is working.

These forklifts used the same pump for steering and transmission.
If the power steering and transmission are not working, the pump losing its prime is common.

The dipstick level will look fine, but no fluid is moving. Its all in the sump.
Overfill and loosen the vent plug on the top of the steering / transmission pump to bleed the air out.
Recheck fluid level.
I ran these overfull with no problem.

Back