What's new
What's new

ISO Decent Cargo Nets / Netting

steamandsteel

Aluminum
Hello,

I've been hauling more low weight, high volume loads, and have been trying to source some decent cargo nets.

I started off with a full size cargo net from Harbor Freight, which worked great until the safety clips broke off the hooks; now it is a tangled mess.

I had some leftover ratchet strap ends, had myself a creative idea, and made the following 5 x 10 "cargo net"

Used a soldering iron to burn holes through the straps, and then aluminum wide flange pop rivets with a #10 stainless fender washer on the back. However, this did take a bit of time, and I'll be needing more than one of these things.

Later on, I saw these safety netting sections at Home Depot, which would be almost exactly what I need:

I could not see any manufacturer's labels on the nets. I am mostly looking for more "load containment" than "safety fall factor load tested" sorta netting. Size anywhere from 4x4 to full trailer length. Web dimensions don't really matter. It could be akin to parachute cord, bungee cords, flat webbing, doesn't matter.

Anyone got a good source for something like that?

Netting source

They make netting to keep product from falling out of pallet rack that perhaps might be a start? Check with forklift dealers or rack

manufacturers?

Contact a guy(gal..) who has a shop doing this sort of work and get one made if you need a custom size.

I am not looking for the work but stitch up gear like this all the time- webbing from the light 4k nylon 1" up to 20k 2" or larger.
I like to stitch in welded D rings but a functional rig might have ratchets sewn right on the net so you can dog down fast.

But... the old never make it if you can buy it- this sort of thing is dog standard gear in wide use and there will be lots of suppliers with every option at a good price point if you look around a bit.
You might want to search in the trucking industry as they have all the gear for this sort of job.

I bought some military surplus ones that look like they were designed to hold air cargo in place, very nice, webbed. Maybe check the surplus guys

This outfit makes quality straps and cargo nets in Washington. You can call them up and get whatever you want made. We've had a range of custom ratchet binders made that are fantastic.

Cargo Nets | OSP Sling

surplus

Awesome, thanks for the great replies everyone.

In continuing my search for something reasonably priced, I ran across repurposedMATERIALS which had an eclectic assortment of netting sections.

Reasonably priced, just ordered a 5x20 section for $45 shipped. This should yield a number of good nets. Looks like the openings are 1.5" square, and made from 4mm cord.

Not the beefiest stuff in terms of diameter, but I can always reinforce the borders.

I'll update when the nets come in...

netting-4mmblack-22_x1_-1.5_square-w_2.75_stretch-4lbs-6.jpg

netting-4mmblack-22_x1_-1.5_square-w_2.75_stretch-4lbs.jpg

results

What happened to your tailgate?

this is for trailers and crates...

Here's what came in. Shipping was quick, and the netting is a lot better than I was expecting.

The cord material is a good bit thicker than the advertised diameter, it's got a good amount of stretch to it, and is free from any major damage.

I cut the roll into three sections, all approximately 6-7 ft long. Burned the ends with a propane torch, and they're good to go.

- Cord thickness is great.
- Small opening size is excellent; not much will get through (unlike my homemade net with 12" openings)
- Material itself is sturdy yet soft. Could easily be used for load bearing applications (gym, hammock, etc)
- Priced right

Back