What's new
What's new

Looking for quick release screw clamp mechanism - like pushbutton C-clamps...

chmedly

Plastic
I'd like to build an end of bench vise and what's in my head would use those quick release c-clamp style screw mechanisms. I'm tempted to cut some c-clamps up but what's left over will not be easy to mount. Any one have any thoughts on a different piece of hardware to "borrow" from for this? Basically I'd like to have a flange mountable nut (of size comparable to a c-clamp or bigger) that has a quick release button for quickly sliding a screw through. Any suggestions?

Maybe this is of use, or inspiration?

McMaster-Carr

Awesome! I was poking around on McMaster but that item didn't come up in any of my searches. These days it's all about knowing what to call it. Keywords. Anyway, I think something like this will work.

I've also found some interesting quick release nut ideas on Youtube using magnets. They look like they take a bit of work and also take up a lot more space, but they don't need a button. You simply unscrew and they "unengage" the threads.

As far as the idea of using existing commercially available bench vices, I've got a different idea in mind for what this will be. It's integrated into some other parts.

Not really sure what your "idea" is but buttress threads might work. Normally they can be used to make a quick acting screw by just cutting the nut in half. To quickly change position just lift the male thread out of the split nut and reposition then tighten as normal. You do need gravity working on your side.

Andy

What you describe is a bog standard "fitters" QR vice,with a trigger mounted directly below the handle.....An expensive vise,to be sure,and the release nut does wear and need regular replacement when the vice is used all the time.......and they do always have a butress thread,sometimes ,even a slight reverse angle on the 'flat'side

Back