What's new
What's new

Looking for recommendations on skates and toe jacks

AndyF

Stainless
I'm in the process of relocating and purchasing some new to me equipment for my shop and am interested in getting some toe jacks and skates to better position the machines. The largest machine I will be moving is a 20 1/2 X 54" Powerturn Lathe at ~9,000 lbs. The other equipment includes a 48" press brake, Bridgeport, drill presses, grinders, air compressor and a few other odds'n'ends.

Any recommendations for reasonably priced and OK to use toe jacks and skates? The equipment will mainly be used for this move and over time may see some use moving some additional equipment.

My opinion is that a cheap (Jet) toejack is going to be good enough for limited use. The skates on the other hand require a certain level of quality to perform well. Buy the best skates that you can afford, and enjoy an easy roll.

You might consider renting big ones for the 9,000 pound load and buy smaller cheaper ones to keep for everything else. I have no idea how much. a press brake weighs, regardless of size. So I may be completely wrong.
Bill D

Vestil for skates. I have, I think, the 3 ton units. With two fixed and two steerable skates, moving heavy things is quite easy. I got mine from MSC.

TEMCo for a toe jack. Nothing fancy, but it does what it's supposed to. Available direct or through Amazon.

Move very slowly and check the skates every 10 inches. Try to use only three if possible. That way one will not become unloaded when you are not looking.
Press brakes are stupid top heavy. Bad stuff can happen quick. Best to put skates on one end, lift from the top on other end with a stout forklift. And cut some good size wedges from hardwood (even green hardwood) to slide in while jacking. Slide them under as machine gets raised. This will keep the brown spots out of your pants if some other part is not up to the task.
Good luck.

Back