What's new
What's new

Ram Promaster chassis cab with 5,000 lbs payload

Spud

Diamond
Anyone here use / used a Ram Promaster 3500 chassis cab ? Specs say the payload is 5170 lbs , but it only has 5 bolt axles front and rear, and this is a front wheel drive only vehicle.

Something that has me confused, the Ram site says GVWR for the chassis cab 3500 is 9350 lbs and GCWR is 11,500 lbs. I thought GVWR was the weight of the truck + cargo + occupants while GCWR was the total weight of the truck + loaded trailer . So how can the GCWR be only 11,500 lbs when the specs say it can tow 5100 lbs. Shouldn't GCWR be 9350 lbs + 5100 lbs ?

2021 Ram ProMaster(R) Specs | View Dimensions & More

imported_Jim_P has it - GVWR = gross vehicle weight rating - a measure of the tires and suspension system among other things - maximum available useful load (people, cargo, fuel) cannot exceed 9350 - curb weight.

GCWR is gross combined vehicle weight rating - the van + the trailer cannot add up to more than 11,500lbs.

It is NOT required that the GCWR equal GVWR + max-tow. Max-tow will be limited by things like brakes, whether there's a brake controller, whether an equalizer hitch is used, the tongue weight limit of the receiver, and so forth.

Note that some states, including mine, limit trailer weight as a fraction of tow-vehicle weight if you don't have electric or air brakes.

Back