What's new
What's new

machinery skates and toe jack

MeanMachine1980

Aluminum
Hello

I have a few machines to move around in my shop and was wondering what everyone else does to do this? I really dont want to invest a ton of money into a set of skates and a toe jack that I will seldom use. It also seems that if I could find a rental they want almost the same price that I could buy Chinese stuff off ebay.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Ebay was my friend here. Yep use them less than 1/year.

if you happen to be in the central part of the state, PM me.

Karl

I picked up an inexpensive toe jack from ebay a few years ago, $100ish iirc, still working great. For skates cut up some 4" or 6" 3/8" thick flat stock into 4x6 squares, weld on 1/2" drill rods for axles, and press bearings (1/2" id x 1.395 od, probably metric) 2 bearings per axle stub, 8 bearings per skate. These work great on smooth concrete, not so great on a brushed finish. Larger dia on bearings would probably roll easier on brushed concrete, but if you loose a skate will allow machine to tilt further, I have not had a problem with tilting when loosing a skate, yet... . You might also consider drilling a hole in center of each skate, run leveling screw thru it to keep from loosing skates. Moving machines with these is super easy, should have made them 40 years ago.

Attachments

• skate 1.jpg
    skate 1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 204
  • skate 2.jpg
    skate 2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 191
I picked up an inexpensive toe jack from ebay a few years ago, $100ish iirc, still working great. For skates cut up some 4" or 6" 3/8" thick flat stock into 4x6 squares, weld on 1/2" drill rods for axles, and press bearings (1/2" id x 1.395 od, probably metric) 2 bearings per axle stub, 8 bearings per skate. These work great on smooth concrete, not so great on a brushed finish. Larger dia on bearings would probably roll easier on brushed concrete, but if you loose a skate will allow machine to tilt further, I have not had a problem with tilting when loosing a skate, yet... . You might also consider drilling a hole in center of each skate, run leveling screw thru it to keep from loosing skates. Moving machines with these is super easy, should have made them 40 years ago.

have a similar set that i made...problem is the thickness of the bearing races, it bends on the brushed concrete increasing load on individual bearings.

so next set i'll probably just use some drilled 2" bar and put plain bearings in it.

have a similar set that i made...problem is the thickness of the bearing races, it bends on the brushed concrete increasing load on individual bearings.

so next set i'll probably just use some drilled 2" bar and put plain bearings in it.

How heavy are your machines? I have a couple at about 5K, on the level brushed area it took 2 people with prybars to move machines, there is a slight ramp into doorway, that required a shove with the forklift, once onto the smooth concrete 1 person can walk them.

Railroad style toe jacks can usually be had for under $50. I like them and usually buy them when they are under $50 and have half dozen or so... without searching them out. Spend the money on a good bar if your stuff is in the Bridgeport weight category. Even heavier is very doable with bar and a few pipes or rods.

How heavy are your machines? I have a couple at about 5K, on the level brushed area it took 2 people with prybars to move machines, there is a slight ramp into doorway, that required a shove with the forklift, once onto the smooth concrete 1 person can walk them.

Average....you are on the high side.

I've done plenty on pipes and the such (moved a shed 50 miles yesterday), I just expected the rollers to be that much easier.

Anybody else find manually moving machines exhausting? I don't seem to have the normal "marathon not a sprint" approach to machinery moving and it wears me out like nothing else.

Anybody else find manually moving machines exhausting? I don't seem to have the normal "marathon not a sprint" approach to machinery moving and it wears me out like nothing else.

Yes, I do find it exhausting. It is not the physical exertion, it is the stress of doing it without damaging things, and with taller top heavy things, the stress of knowing if it topples while you are kneeling next to it, its either going to hurt really bad, or its going to be a quick lights out:eek:

Yes, I do find it exhausting. It is not the physical exertion, it is the stress of doing it without damaging things, and with taller top heavy things, the stress of knowing if it topples while you are kneeling next to it, its either going to hurt really bad, or its going to be a quick lights out:eek:

That must be it. I’m just wiped out today.

50 miles with a top speed of 32 mph and that was after pulling the shed up on to the trailer. Wife did all the hard labor since I’m still in a cast.

She’s the only person I’ll move stuff with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My situation is similar. I bought a Jet 5 ton toe jack that has worked great for my over the last 5 years or so. Then just recently I needed to move some machines around the shop. I found some skates on ebay. Not chinko stinko but made by a guy up in ohio. He makes various flavors of them. Very reasonable. They work very well.

Here is a link to one of his skates. You can look on there and see the other ones he sells too.
MADE IN USA 8,000lbs Machine Dolly Skate Machinery Mover Machinery Roller | eBay

Average....you are on the high side.

I've done plenty on pipes and the such (moved a shed 50 miles yesterday), I just expected the rollers to be that much easier.

We’ve moved machines on skates and sliding systems weighting 100 tons or more and you get inches a day. You learn to pace yourself, and as long as you are going forward and not backwards, you’ll get there.

Railroad style toe jacks can usually be had for under $50. I like them and usually buy them when they are under $50 and have half dozen or so... without searching them out. Spend the money on a good bar if your stuff is in the Bridgeport weight category. Even heavier is very doable with bar and a few pipes or rods.

Railroad jacks are great. Doesn’t leak oil, don’t have to worry about blowing a seal or hose and the machine falling, and never quit pumping. Only down side it if you are trying to move something precisely, because if the height you need is between clicks, it can be a problem.

I used to do lifts the hard way
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-69-in-Post-Hole-Digger-and-Tamping-Bar-34219/204168182

I did buy one of these and its nice for certain tasks
Pry lever Bar Pry Lever Bar 6' Length Lever 6600Lbs Labor-saving Durable Wheels | eBay

Now that I have one of these Toe Jacks I can't imagine not having it. Easy and safe way to lift a machine and block it up.
Hydraulic Machine Toe Jack Lift 2.5/5 T Track Cylinder Heat-treated Hard Chrome | eBay

I pretty much move everything with a pallet jack. I have two sizes 27x48" forks and 20x36" forks. My favorite is the Crown but they all work.

We had painted floors so I grabbed a couple of smallish skates with urethane rollers. They were good for small stuff, like Bridgeport-sized pieces. Still had to be careful with the bar but the urethane was nicer on the floor.

Thanks everyone for the good ideas and replies.
I ended up getting some skates off ebay for a decent price. If they suck Ill have to try to return them. I got a 4500lb bedmill, southbend 13, and a heavy surface grinder. Hopefully I can get the job done.

Back