machinery skates and toe jack - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine1980 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the good ideas and replies.
    I ended up getting some skates off ebay for a decent price. If they suck Ill have to try to return them. I got a 4500lb bedmill, southbend 13, and a heavy surface grinder. Hopefully I can get the job done.

How far do you need to move them? For small machines like that I just slide them on 1/2"or 3/4" diameter steel rods, unless I'm going 30 or more feet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

these work for not a ton of money
    Error | DNS Resolution | Northern Tool + Equipment

then instead of skates i have used many times 6" x 2" thick rounds of UHMW (oil impregnated mcmaster carr in a day, don't have to be rounds squares work too)
    you drill a whole big enough to pocket the leveling screw put one on each corner of machine trapped by screw then drag that bitch all over the shop.
    works very well with a good stable not likely to tip piece.
    moved a 30K LB PUMA every time a new boss showed up and needed to rearrange the furniture
    and i had good skates at the time
    this is super stable, if you aint got 2 men and a dog watchin' skates can walk out on you
    never dropped a piece
    never broke nuthin'
    probly don't want to do it with a forklift with a soft tranny though but unless your moving a pretty big piece they move amazingly easy
    you get your forks under it and take just enough weight to get good traction
    you can push it the same way by cribbing from the tips back to the rack of your forks
    and you can spin it in its own footprint, thats pretty tricky with skates

fairly unorthodox but works just peachy.

3. Likes JoeE., cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

vevor.com is having a machinery mover sale right now, 42 dollars a skate shipped that hold 13200lb each. Though it is a gamble because they sent me two wrong items and it was quite an ordeal to get the right ones. I also bought a 5ton toe jack 10 ton top bottle jack for 125 that works great. I bought them for a CNC mill I recently had delivered that is 10klbs. I've yet to move it but I'm skeptical that the urethane lining on the steel wheels of the skates wont flatten under the weight of it. has anyone moved this much weight on these style skates?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nopoint View Post
    Railroad style toe jacks can usually be had for under $50. I like them and usually buy them when they are under $50 and have half dozen or so... without searching them out. Spend the money on a good bar if your stuff is in the Bridgeport weight category. Even heavier is very doable with bar and a few pipes or rods.
    Railroad type jack never done me any good as I usually need to lift from a 3/4" gap between machine base and floor, and often contending with overhanging sheet metal on CNC machines where the height of a railroad jack would not get under the sheet overhangs. Plus with proper rigger quality toe jacks (like GKS and others) you can connect QC hydraulic line for a separate hand pump such that you can use two toe jacks at once and/or move the pump cylinder to a better position for pumping than right at the jack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yep
    railroad jacks are for 1950's screw machines and upsetters
    letting shit down with them is even worse than trying to get it up

7. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    50 miles with a top speed of 32 mph and that was after pulling the shed up on to the trailer. Wife did all the hard labor since I’m still in a cast.

She’s the only person I’ll move stuff with.
    I also wrangle my wife into moving stuff with me. Yesterday we were moving a disabled 30k boom lift down a hill and into our barn. I was fine with that because she was out of harms way and was spotting and throwing the wheel chock underneath to bring the machine to a halt.

But last night I moved the top heavy 4000 lb lathe myself alone. We have a 6 year and a 7 year old and losing both mom and dad at once ... I don't even want to think about it.

Speaking of moving stuff with "the wife." My wife is very soft spoken and we have disagreements over me not being able to hear her. And then I match her volume level and she can't hear me. Spent way too much money and bought these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now we can talk quietly amongst ourselves clearly and safely. And the noise canceling works pretty well. Engine sound doesn't come through at all. But when she decides to be loud and yell at the kids, it makes my ears bleed.

9. Likes Milacron liked this post