What's new
What's new

Machinery Skis

magneticanomaly

Titanium
Here is a photo of what I call, "Machinery Skis".
Two pieces of angle iron, long enough to give the thing I am moving an adequately long "wheel-base" for stability and to ride over irregularities, and heavy enough not to bend when they ride over a dip.

Jack up or pry up the legs on one side, at a time, or one edge of the machine and slip one flange of the angle under. Do same on other side, with vertical flanges outboard of the load. Use turnbuckles and chain as needed to pull the ends of the angles together and clamp the machine snugly between the vertical legs of the angles. Attach a chain sling to an end of both angles, and drag, if you want a lot of friction to control the load, or put the skis on pipe rollers. I recently moved a 36"Oliver bandsaw over 50 feet of soft dirt with these, and a comealong.. On the dirt, I put scraps of lumber under the skis every so often to keep them from digging into the dirt, but maintain friction

These work as well as dedicated timber skids bolted to a machine's legs, which I also use and which are often recommended here, but are reusable.

Attachments

• Machinery skis 9 18.jpg
    Machinery skis 9 18.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 302
Here is a photo of what I call, "Machinery Skis".
Two pieces of angle iron, long enough to give the thing I am moving an adequately long "wheel-base" for stability and to ride over irregularities, and heavy enough not to bend when they ride over a dip.

Jack up or pry up the legs on one side, at a time, or one edge of the machine and slip one flange of the angle under. Do same on other side, with vertical flanges outboard of the load. Use turnbuckles and chain as needed to pull the ends of the angles together and clamp the machine snugly between the vertical legs of the angles. Attach a chain sling to an end of both angles, and drag, if you want a lot of friction to control the load, or put the skis on pipe rollers. I recently moved a 36"Oliver bandsaw over 50 feet of soft dirt with these, and a comealong.. On the dirt, I put scraps of lumber under the skis every so often to keep them from digging into the dirt, but maintain friction

These work as well as dedicated timber skids bolted to a machine's legs, which I also use and which are often recommended here, but are reusable.

Good Q&D.

Here's some more food for creativity. What Belgian horses, later early Iron-shod tractors pulled, G'Dad's day and prior:

"https://smallfarmersjournal.com/sleds/"

"https://www.farmcollector.com/equipment/implements/remembering-stone-boat-zm0z17novzhur"

Timber can be fairly re-usable, too! Enduring, even!

....and here I thought I was gonna see something from the oil patch....:D

Looks good, but I would add the angle front/back pieces, probably
15 degrees.

....and here I thought I was gonna see something from the oil patch....:D

Looks good, but I would add the angle front/back pieces, probably
15 degrees.

Sacrificial slab of 2" x 8" or 2" x 12" can serve for preventing dig-in.

Didja notice the trick of putting chain under the stone-boat's bow so it didn't cripple the horse in snow and ice? Could work to preserve humans and their mutter wehicles, too.

:)

Works great. I did the same with 6" wide flat plate. Welded some tie-down lugs to it and used the sled to haul my lathe up on to a trailer, then off the trailer and down a long dirt alleyway.

Works great. I did the same with 6" wide flat plate. Welded some tie-down lugs to it and used the sled to haul my lathe up on to a trailer, then off the trailer and down a long dirt alleyway.

One we made good use of for years as a "stone boat" had been torch-cut from an an old steam boiler. It still had a third section of the domed head riveted to one end of it, and thick enough to be pulled by a clevis bolt and chain anchored through a torch-burnt hole. Didn't need - nor GET - much in the way of motive power. Monkey-Wards' badging of a "Simplicity Machine" gardening "tractor", 9 HP one-lung Wisconsin engine, dual-range Vee belts, 3 speed Norton-style geared transmission & enclosed chain drive.

Biggest difference between the Simplicity and a next-door neigbour's Gravely was that you had to do about an hour of maintenance for every three hours of running a Simplicity, whilst the Gravely went about 20 or 30 years between lube changes, didn't seem to ever need anything else!

:)

Back