What's new
What's new

Matters maintainers-bought and put to work

Cannonmn

Stainless
Battery maintainers-bought and put to work

I was asking questions about forklift batteries here long ago and some members suggested putting one 12v. Maintainer across each series chain of six cells. So recently I noticed Walmart had Schumacher (good battery stuff) maintainers Online for $16. and change, best price I’ve ever seen, and if you spend what, $35., free shipping. So I bought many to cover a few vehicle batteries. Here are pix of first vehicle hooked up, an electric pallet jack. These little boxes have a desulfating mode too, which eases my former uneasiness about batteries that just sit idle most of the time. You connect one maintainer to the + and - ends of each in-series chain of six cells, so for 36v. Battery with 18 cells, you need three maintainers.

BAA00288-8F2A-46AE-B8D5-049CC6A15A41.jpg63200D49-6E08-49C8-891E-9EB7CB485E65.jpg

I put two maintainers to work on the 24 volt ACB1D4AB-3D3A-438C-845E-3695CCB425EE.jpgClark narrow-aisle stacker. Since the 750 AH battery was larger I had to cut one battery lead on each device and splice in a three-foot extension to reach the terminal needed on the other end of the battery. I wanted both maintainers on same end of the battery. I hose-clamped the ring terminals to the appropriate battery terminals as a permanent installation, since the maintainer-to-battery leads can simply be unplugged when operating the vehicle. The big spring-alligator clips weren’t right for a permanent installation-too dangerous to have exposed metal with that much current available. The hose clamp and ring terminal combination was tight, compact, and easy to insulate.

Back