JHOLLAND1

Titanium
this weeks project arrived one week ago--Seagrave pumper fire truck--1988

tare weight 24K--laden 38K
I placed bid for one feature--Detroit 8V92 TA with DDEC control
Allison HT741 transmission

I had zero knowledge of main pumping apparatus--but am coming up to speed
pump is Waterous CSU capable of 1500 gal/minute @400psi

perhaps this is why Seattle burb fire dept spected highest output motor option--
475 hp with driveshaft split going thru pump trans which shifts power to road or pump

this unit does not run and gun like most airport fire wagons

so my intent for this build is flatbed dump with winch and slide in 4 yard dump box

and in this regard the built in 500 gallon water tank was unroofed today--two compartments with build of 1/8 sheet steel--anti-rust coating

no pics exist on web of interior of tank--builder website woefully lacking
critical info--weight of pump is no where stated

and as the deck plates lifted off tank housing is appears by baffle removal and rear tank volume expansion this construction should expand from current 3 1/3 cubic yards to 4 cy with modest fabrication effort

flatbed itself will be wood decked

Attachments

• 345.jpg
    345.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 373
  • 456.JPG
    456.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 324
  • 100_3326.jpg
    100_3326.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 327
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 100_3329.jpg
    100_3329.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 394
You might be able to donate some of the fire stuff to a local high school or college fire classroom for demonstration, cut-away's. Then claim a tax deduction for replacement cost.
I bet the boy scouts could use the hose reel if nothing else.
Bill D

A local has one with a closed cab converted to a ramp truck to haul his pulling tractor. Lots of room for family and friends to ride along. He's never late getting there. :)

My Brother in law has one like that, but with a 3208. We use it in 4th of july parades and he has plans to turn it into an enclosed car hauler.

Seems to me they usually sell for the value of their tires. Nobody wants anything else they have.

Part of me wants to get an old 220 or 250 Cummins (one with a blower would be real cool) to drive the pump and set it up in my field with a 10K water tank. I have a few rotek bearings from big excavators to make a turret with.... See how far away I can blast the kids on those hot summer days...

I have one like that. Lefrance with 6-71 deetroit ladder truck

I also have a more modern c-800 ford that had a 429 v-8 at504
xmission with a full power pto.

I removed the pump (looks just like yours) but only 500 gpm.
You'll need to extend the drive shaft. IIRC the impeller and housing is the only thing bigger, but yours might have a larger manifold casting as well, either way it looks very close.

M pump weighed in right around 2000 lbs.

That would make a cool toy hauler, but I have only one question. Does it still have the siren? :D :D

Charles

Screaming-meemie "Dee Dee"? Who TF could even HEAR a siren?

If yah want a firetruck playtoy, yer around 20 years "too new".

The Pierce derived vee's - around 600 BHP - were easier on the ears.

Extract from a Wiki article:

...the Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company coincidentally supplied 8- and 12-cylinder engines to Seagrave for use in their fire apparatus. These engines continued to be made even after Pierce-Arrow ceased operation in 1938. Seagrave continued to deliver fire apparatus with the "Pierce-Arrow" V-12 until 1970.

Screaming-meemie "Dee Dee"? Who TF could even HEAR a siren?

If yah want a firetruck playtoy, yer around 20 years "too new".

The Pierce derived vee's - around 600 BHP - were easier on the ears.

Extract from a Wiki article:

If that was also in the American lafrance trucks....an old mechanic had a distributor cap on his desk.

Said good engine, but tiny oil pump, so they were a failure.

If that was also in the American lafrance trucks....an old mechanic had a distributor cap on his desk.

Said good engine, but tiny oil pump, so they were a failure.

Seagrave acquired the license and tooling to build the Pierce-Arrow designed 12. American LaFrance used several versions of a Lycoming-designed flathead V12 that was originally tooled and manufactured through Cord/Auburn/Dusenberg. After C/A/D faded, ALF managed to have their engines manufactured (I'm not certain if it was by purchase, or license), but the ALF V12 is NOT the same as the Seagrave in any way other than cylinder quantity.

It seems that with those kind of credentials and that price tag, that those could be fitted as portable power units for irrigation systems?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Many Dalmatians are totally deaf so they do not even notice the sirens. OF course many owners are stupid and get mad and abusive when their Dalmatian can not be voice trained.
Bill D

For some reason the AKA considers deafness in a Dalmatian a flaw.

I would say deafness in any dog is a flaw, but yes they can still be trained. OT- How many of you know why dals are associated with firetrucks? No cheating using google!

Saturday Evening Post?
Or does it date back further than that?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Saturday Evening Post?
Or does it date back further than that?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It dates back further, the breed is 1000+ years old, how long have firetrucks been around? In europe they were called coach dogs, in America they were re-named dalmatians and it is here they became associated with firetrucks, whats the connection?:)

horns, sirens, rollers---everything but a spotted dog :)

so --came across pics and toy of similar re-fit

Being the negative Nellie I am, I'll say that the folks picking the tank out of the frame in pic #3 have never had a slippery chain slip off a slippery fork before or they would have rigged differently...with wood betwixt fork and chain.

Stuart

Being the negative Nellie I am, I'll say that the folks picking the tank out of the frame in pic #3 have never had a slippery chain slip off a slippery fork before or they would have rigged differently...with wood betwixt fork and chain.

Stuart

A Ken Curtis fan ratt there folks!

-----------------

... And that's as Right as Rain!
Ox

In europe the coach dogs were used to run with the stage coaches, they are endurance runners that can easily run 20 to 30 miles per day. They were also quite adept at clearing the roadway of livestock and people, when you parked your coach the dogs stayed with it and kept your coach and horses from being stolen. The dogs were also typically housed in the stables, they were guard dogs, and kept the rodents at bay.

IIRC it was mid to late 1800's when the dal was brought to America, as the automobile replaced the coaches, the dal lost its job. The fire stations in America were one of the last bastions of horse drawn carriages, the dals were good firehouse watch dogs and rodent killers, and ran with the firetrucks clearing the road of pedestrians, and guarding the firetruck on the scene.

As for my moniker, I used to do dal rescue, when you have 5 dals the neighbors start calling you names:)

Back