More forklift load calculation fun...just one truck this time.. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    First it was Towmotor, Cat bought Towmotor, at first Royal went into a licensing agreement with Cat to build lifts, then Royal bought the big lift division outright, and Nordco bought Royal.
    Wonder if Nordco bought Royal at so low a price they don't half care if they make a go of the product line ?

Royal Tractor Company, Inc. :: Kansas Bankruptcy Court :: Bankruptcy Case No. 15-22405, Judge Robert D. Berger presiding

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only thing Nordco has on their website is some vague general discriptions and some stock photos of the old Royal lifts.
    Speaking of lame forklift websites.... Rigger Special 60 | Bristol Manufacturing.... are these guys even in business still ? Too much trouble to post photos other than tiny icons I guess...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Speaking of lame forklift websites.... Rigger Special 60 | Bristol Manufacturing.... are these guys even in business still ? Too much trouble to post photos other than tiny icons I guess...
    I don't know for sure but I think they are still in business. So many of these specialty forklift outfits are just big fab shops, that will build to order, but don't make stock orders. I think Bristol falls into that catagory. The biggest drawback to the Bristol is it's just too big physically. What they do is take a 40K Taylor pneumatic lift, foam fill the tires, upgrade the hydraulics, and add more counterweight on back to make a 80K lift. They are just like a bull in a china shop when you get them into tight facilities.

Riggers manufacturing still has a website and will still build you a lift or gantry, but they were bought out by Lift Systems, and just maintain a small office inside the Lift systems facility. If you buy a lift from them, they just hand the prints over to Lift Systems and they build it. It's kind of funny because forklift Systems builds the Mobilift that is in direct competition with the Riggers Trilifter. They also build competing gantry lines.

One of the more interesting concepts is the Landoll PT40 PT40 | Landoll
    I actually had a sales rep bring one by for us to try out. I like the concept, but they have some learning to do in the big lift department. I critiqued the machine and the sales rep said he would pass it on to the engineers, but it doesn't look like they have changed anything. One of the worst was they use exposed ballscrews for automatic fork adjusters. How long do you think that will last? Another drawback is the market is moving toward extendable counterweight machines, and the Landoll doesn't extend. I do like the fact that it offers more lift height and reach that anything else on the market. At the end of the day though, it cost almost as much as a 40/60 Versalift and has roughly the same footprint, so most people will opt for the Versalift and get 60K capacity by extending the counterweight.

4. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another interesting builder was Lowry. They have been out of business for quite awhile, but their claim to fame was taking the old 15,500lb Hyster and converting it to several different models, one rated at 30,000lb capacity. You still see several of them on the used market, they were a favorite of riggers that specialized in the printing industry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lowry-30k.jpg  

6. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to seller, GM 4.3 liter V6 Vortec. Maybe that's another difference between T and TA....the TA gets a smaller engine ?

(on edit) There's another Royal TA on eBay and it also has GM Vortec 6
    Got the Royal in today... seller was wrong.. it is a Chrysler engine. Apparently the GM 4.3 was not used until 96 or so.

As as an aside, the truck is cool to have, all functions well, no leaks yet.. but it is a bit strange to sit on the left side, plus the visibility is pretty bad thru the mast... trade off with fork positioning I guess... nice to not have to pry bar the forks but all the stuff necessary to make that happen impedes the view.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got the Royal in today... seller was wrong.. it is a Chrysler engine. Apparently the GM 4.3 was not used until 96 or so.

As as an aside, the truck is cool to have, all functions well, no leaks yet.. but it is a bit strange to sit on the left side, plus the visibility is pretty bad thru the mast... trade off with fork positioning I guess... nice to not have to pry bar the forks but all the stuff necessary to make that happen impedes the view.
    We have a small hyster that I use at work often. They added the fork positioning to it at a later time and it really affected the view on it. I have a terrible time unloading a truck without the dock with that lift truck. At that height I cannot see anything hardly. I usually have to stick my head out the side window to see. Not too bad if the load is on the ground. The fork positioning is nice but on that truck the forks were fairly easy to move since not that big and heavy. I think I prefer being able to see what I'm doing myself with that small truck but on a bigger truck the forks aren't so easy to move by hand. I do like the idea of individual fork movement- often thought that would be nice but never seen it before.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OldParts View Post
    Sooooo, when do we get video of your acquisition getting settled in using your other new acquisition?
    Used "Big Red" for it's intended purpose for the first time yesterday. The turning center was 9,500 lbs, the VMC was 15,400 lbs... was a little concerned the 5 foot forks might not have been quite long enough for the VMC but they were...lifted it and drove around like it was nothing much. Was also pleased my 4" concrete floor did not crack under the combined load of 45,000 lbs rolling across it !

img_1237-1.jpg img_0877-3.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03dcd3ba-b3dc-47bf-8265-722a72ccbe3f.jpg   c01c74ca-9383-4db2-9fd1-ef8fd0e4ac6f.jpg  

10. Likes OldParts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another interesting builder was Lowry. They have been out of business for quite awhile, but their claim to fame was taking the old 15,500lb Hyster and converting it to several different models, one rated at 30,000lb capacity. You still see several of them on the used market, they were a favorite of riggers that specialized in the printing industry.
    Two semi trailer loads of machine tools loaded for me on Tuesday...riggers used the below 30,000 lb capacity Bristol "Mini Riggers Special" Isn't that also made from an older Hyster 15.5K ? Looks like a dream machine to me since you have all that capacity in such a small physical size and yet sit as low to ground as a 15.5K truck.

img_0865.jpg

Wonder what the used market value would be of that particular Bristol ? I don't see any like that for sale...plenty of the Bristol-Taylor 80K conversions for sale but the "30K minis" are apparently rare as hen's teeth to come up for sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two semi trailer loads of machine tools loaded for me on Tuesday...riggers used the below 30,000 lb capacity Bristol "Mini Riggers Special" Isn't that also made from an older Hyster 15.5K ? Looks like a dream machine to me since you have all that capacity in such a small physical size and yet sit as low to ground as a 15.5K truck.

img_0865.jpg

Wonder what the used market value would be of that particular Bristol ? I don't see any like that for sale...plenty of the Bristol-Taylor 80K conversions for sale but the "30K minis" are apparently rare as hen's teeth to come up for sale.
    I wonder if they have any for sale?
    Bristol is local to me, I would love to take a tour of the place from just what I see outside in their yard!

About | Bristol Manufacturing

Kevin

P.S. Milacron, if you need a volunteer to go test drive a lift I would be happy to help!

13. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_0865.jpg

I'm not really familiar with the "mini rigger", but yes, it appears to be based on the 15.5K Hyster. On these conversions, I just worry about the drive axle, as it doesn't seem they upgrade those. At 15.5K loaded, that axle will have around 35K weight on it. At 30K, that axle will have 60k+ on it. Now I know the Hyster 15.5k is known to be one of the toughest lifts ever made, I worry about the drive axle. You don't ever hear of any problems with them though.

We've looked at doing some of these conversions ourselves, but the drive axle is the limiting factor. Short of having engineer evaluation of the drive axle, it's hard to figure what the max is, and manufacturers don't like to give that info out. You can change the mast, steer axle, add counterweight, and the frames of these lifts are plenty strong, but the drivetrain pretty much has to remain the same to make it worthwhile.

15. Likes Milacron liked this post